Melee sprite tweakage

Best answers
So what exactly does it do?

No eyecandy. No special effects. Just plain old melee arrows with a twist : The have red highlights around them.

This means no more complaining about not being able to see your melee arrows in bright maps like esf_cell_games, and of course, esf_namekreborn (REALLY bright skymap)

Just use this link.
Be wary though, I ned some mirrors for this as I'm gonna be confined to a Geocities account for who knows how long.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow...that is a really awesome idea! Wish I'd thought of it. Let's put this thread in ESF Chat, or the Sprites and Models section, people would grab this for sure!!

Best answers
-.- Wish I did that, because even if it got moved, it would provide a thread redirect. How dumb of me.

Ah well, time to spread the word....into my siggeh!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can you make them have a black outline instead of them being red? It would make it MUCH better. Good job though.

Best answers
I wish I could make it black. In fact that was what I had planned to do....

Until I found out it was an additive sprite. Meaning no black, grey(any shade) o white. Otherwise they'd turn transparent. Which is exactly why I had to use red. If I use black, let's say it would be the same as the old ones.

Unless I switch to alphatest or some other obscure sprite mode that doesn't screw itself up ingame, we're gonna have to live with red for now. Besides, which map uses red sky eh?

Best answers
Great idea, Im always up in the sky and its close to the colour of the arrows in some spots, so I have to direct the mouse at the ground.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

theres a pic for ya MP, well its very nice acctualy, i wish this could be in Beta 1.2.1 since its usefull against bright skies, good job!

**edit**

u said u couldnt use black, well cant u use dark blue instead? looks almost like black so that should do the trick

Best answers
I thought blue was transparent. Black is transparent for models, I know that, but I didnt know that applied for sprites aswell. Its helpful though.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blue -> Sky. Blue might actually be worse than white. The red outlined arrows don't look all that pleasing to the eyes but they're functional, which is what matters.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blue is transparent for map textures, and didn't Joe say something about why they didn't outline the arrows? If not, something like this would be really helpful :).

Copy and Paste the link by the way ;)

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what if you get solar flared, wouldnt this be kind of cheating?

Best answers
That would be if sprites are not whited out by sola flare.

Of course, if that was the case, I would have to remove them. Until then, I'm leaving it open.

BTW, if anyone experiences difficulties downloading it, it's because it's hosted on Geocities. Not only that, but I'm too lazy to change hosts. Besides, I barely know any good free hosts that don't tear your account into shreds in an hour for hosting files.

EDIT : I can't be too rude to answer any questions no?

u said u couldnt use black, well cant u use dark blue instead? looks almost like black so that should do the trick
Well, I would but there's one thing that will go wrong : Transparencies. Even if I use dark blue, it will be rendered translucent, meaning it will still be same old bright blue.

I thought blue was transparent. Black is transparent for models, I know that, but I didnt know that applied for sprites aswell. Its helpful though.
Blue is transparent in map wads and some sprites. It just matters on what kind of sprite it is.

In this example, the melee arrows are rendered in additive mode. Anything that is in greysacle, will be treated as transperencies. Meaning white is totally opaque, grey being semi-translucent, and black being transparent.

Other modes like Indexalpha use the last color in the palette for transparencies.
Yay for sprite tutelage \o/

BTW, thanks for the compliments Sonic. I know they're hard on the eyes, but I guess we will have to live with it. After all, there really isn't any other color that contrasts against bright blue that I know other than red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom