Melee: A "Global" Weapon

Best answers
Hey, guys!

I am very much liking this latest version, however, with the inclusion of advanced melee and chainswooping, I've noticed a number of things that could be changed (at least, IMO) to make the game easier.

One being where once you enter a swoop, to change directions, you need press a new direction only once, rather than twice. There was already a thread for this, but just expressing my view. I think this would be cool, because currently I see no reason why the swoop double-tap couldn't be reduced to one press once you're already moving.

Anyway, my melee suggestion:
When you swoop into a player with melee selected, you begin autopunching. Then, once you start, you can either throw them or begin advanced melee. I would suggest making the autopunches come in no matter what weapon you have selected, for the sake of simplifying the game. I don't know if you would want to include the ability to blast away your opponent with generic beam/blast or what, but I honestly think that enabling autopunches with any weapon selected would only add to the gameplay. As an alternate, you could do this, then have left and right click function the way they do in regular melee, then remove the melee "weapon" altogether. The only concern I have about this, though, is that you'd need to find a new way to integrate the simple melee attack. (Run up and "block" an enemy, maybe?)

Comments. Criticism. I like.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same response I had to Sierra Sonic about the swoop thing, which is that it would become far too easy to change directions and would make it far more difficult to hit your opponent if all he needed to do was tap a key once to get out of the way. That extra .1 seconds it takes him to double tap is more valuable than you would think, and either way over time you'll get used to double tapping.

I *can't* quite agree with universal prepunching. If you're swooping with a gen beam in your hand the second you let go or stop swooping you'll charge it and that can be really useful. If you didn't have to have melee selected people would probably just leave it on a beam so that they'd have the edge when an opponent was chasing them.

Best answers
Interesting take, there.

Personally, I think that simplifying the game is never a bad thing. Let's look at some of the Super Bots, and their "perfect" chainswooping. Tough to catch, but I would hardly call it impossible. If your opponent is avoiding you, you could always chase them down with ki blasts or generic blasts. (Actually, I'd like to see swooping with kiblasts/genattack in this game).

When you say that making these changes would make players seemingly too good, I don't see a problem with that. Personally, I think that if the team made the game as easy to play as possible rather than complicated things (maybe not intentionally, but meh), the game would be a bit more fun. This is only my oppinion mind you. If players aren't able to catch enemy players, perhaps their job should be simplified as well, say, bring back the 1.1 targetting system, but have the player automatically center their view on the target (I.E. Z-targetting Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time style!).

Actually, that would work well with the new 1.2 chainswoop.

Best answers
I'd hate that target thing. It makes the game almost (wait a minute, completely) too easy. It's perfect the way it is now, my only problem is the small ki shots. The ones that curve are now completely useless, because the always fly right around him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom