Man from 2036 (a time traveler)

Best answers
Here is one way of thinking on the matter of predicting the future...

Imagine a pond, at one side of which a toy ship is launched. At the other side of the pond is a very small person. He is unable to see the ship, but as the ship travels forward, the waves it makes reach the shore on which he stands. As they travel across the pond, these waves pass around certain objects weeds, leaves, a log that are fixed or slowly drifting on its surface. The objects thus create disturbances in the wavefront, which the small person, who has a lifetime's experience in these things, is able to note in fine detail. From what he learns of the wavefronts he not only obtains an image of the objects that produced them but calculates how long it will be before they drift to the shore.

the toy ship represents the event unfolding in time.
the course across the pond represents one of the paths it might have taken and the dimensions of time it occurs in
The pond represents another dimension of time in which other factors are having an influence

Best answers
There is a way to travel back in time according to the laws of physics.

You get two singularities stretch them out until there about 30 light years in length, put a multi-octillion watt charge on them spin them round each other at the speed of light and then using a craft made of neutroium fly down the middle.

So, unless technology takes a enormous unexpected jump in the next few years, I think it's likely that that guy is prehaps not telling the truth.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
majin goketa said:
You get two singularities stretch them out until there about 30 light years in length, put a multi-octillion watt charge on them spin them round each other at the speed of light and then using a craft made of neutroium fly down the middle.
That make anyone else go "WTF?"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sounds like a load of bull to me.

first of all interaction in the past is IMPOSSIBLE. the movie "the time machine" explains it well. lets say just for the sake of argument that there was a time machine in existance.

now if i took that thing and went back in time to prevent something like the holocaust, and then i succeded what have i done? i have just altered history.

now, if my original reason for using the time machine was to prevent the holocaust and i succeed, that means it never happend, and my reason for going back in time will never have come up. this my friends is called a paradox.

interaction with the past is impossible. perhaps traveling into the future is not, but you would never be able to get back to where you came from.

Best answers
When you travel back in time you can cause events that trigger closed-time like curves, i.e don't result in a paradox. Doing something like preventing a holocaust can't be done because of a concept in physics called world lines.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
any interaction with the past would cause a paradox because if you were to go back and say... help an old lady across the street. the event would have been completed. and to you it would appear that the old lady is already being helped by someone else. therfore you wouldnt be able to do it... therefore she would not be helped...... therefore you would not see her being helped..... therefore you would help her.... therefore you would see her being helped.... therefore you wouldnt help her....
PARADOX.
its kinda confusing

if you have an example that doest cause a paradox id like to see it.

and yes i dont know what worldlines are.... care to explain?

Best answers
Morrone said:
Pain, you don't seem to understand worldlines.
I was saying Pain was right. You can't prevent anything you knew about.

EDIT: Thats my point, practically everything results in a paradox. You could effect stuff in space because it has no relation to you but you would have to stay away from earth.

World Lines are the dent every particle leaves on space and time as in passes through. This imprint contains information on everything the particle did at a given moment, two identical world lines can't come within a certain radius of eachother, so you can't go near your past self.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you know what? i just realized something. if indeed you could travel back in time, the only way you would avoid a paradox is by not having a reason for going back. just go back and THEN find a reason would not create paradox. i just proved myself wrong! right on.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
a paradox doesnt have to be right.... like if u shoot an arrow at a target, it will never hit the target, because it has to go half way to the target first, then it has to get halfway between that, and so on, but of couse it does hit the target...the deffinition of a paradox is : a statement that seems absurd or self contradictory but may be true

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive heard that half way crap before and its the dumbest load of bull ive ever heard.

ok since the defenition of paradox doesnt suit you how about, an infinite loop for a situation.

Best answers
davidskiwan said:
a paradox doesnt have to be right.... like if u shoot an arrow at a target, it will never hit the target, because it has to go half way to the target first, then it has to get halfway between that, and so on, but of couse it does hit the target...the deffinition of a paradox is : a statement that seems absurd or self contradictory but may be true
The answer to that paradox was in an earlier thread, I think.

Best answers
To me Time Travel is not impossible, i dont know what but i beleive the story.They havnt come back intime totell us that there is such thing as tiem travel, bc if we find out kaos and the universe as we no it will be destroyed.First our government will have the technology, then afterabout 50-100years after its asafe everyeone will have one. Haveyou everythought, that something someone didnt come up with... lets say electrcity, that Benjermin Frankln didnt think of it, but someone in the future came back told him about it and then electricity was made thus electrcity was neve rmade by him and was never really thoughyt of but was made by the future, all bcof him traveling back in time. if you dont get what im saying,i know i didnt put it in the most descriptive wods so many will not.

Best answers
ES_TANK said:
To me Time Travel is not impossible, i dont know what but i beleive the story.They havnt come back intime totell us that there is such thing as tiem travel, bc if we find out kaos and the universe as we no it will be destroyed.First our government will have the technology, then afterabout 50-100years after its asafe everyeone will have one. Haveyou everythought, that something someone didnt come up with... lets say electrcity, that Benjermin Frankln didnt think of it, but someone in the future came back told him about it and then electricity was made thus electrcity was neve rmade by him and was never really thoughyt of but was made by the future, all bcof him traveling back in time. if you dont get what im saying,i know i didnt put it in the most descriptive wods so many will not.
Benjamin Franklin did not create electricity.

Best answers
well who ever did put his name there, i thought he put the keys on the end of a kite, and tthought of it

Best answers
ES_TANK said:
well who ever did put his name there, i thought he put the keys on the end of a kite, and tthought of it
he made use of electricity but did not make it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember reading the paper about a man who clamied to have traveled to the past from the futuer and was bidding on stock and was making a killing, people got suspiciouss and arested him for reasons I dont remember his responce to know what will happen was time travel.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I remember that story too, Snow. I never did find a follow-up to that article. Probably just insider trading that he claimed to be time travel. Heh.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I've had my thougths on time travel...one thing that got me is the 'olympics' prediction, it stood out...
he said they end in 2004...
in 2004 the Olympics will be held in Athens...I think, and thats where the Olympics originated...it just weirded me out.

I'm not sure whether to believe time travel or not.. but the olympics prediction just struck my fancy a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom