Making A Server

Best answers
how do i keep track on my server cause everytime i make a server i can never go back and what is L.A.N games?

Best answers
lan games are simple: 2 computers (say, your mothers pc and yours (that is what lan is by me)) are connected, with thesame connection, and both pc's have esf on it, then you can play over the network, its like playing over internet but different, you must find out yourself.

and i cannot help you with that server thingy unless you explain it again plz.

and i dont want to be a mod or sumthing, but, dont post twice..

Best answers
Sorry ,Ok what im saying is everytime i make a server i could NEVER go back to it again i copy the ip addres and type it in but it chaneges the ip address

Best answers
plz ask some1 else, i cant help, sorry

*edit* your not asking me, forgotten, lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
how do i keep track on my server cause everytime i make a server i can never go back and what is L.A.N games?
well it really depends, if you made a dedicated server or not. if it isnt a dedicated server, than the moment you leave that game your server will "leave" with you. since you are acting as the server. im not sure why you would have that problem with a dedicated server. as for your second question, a LAN game is a game that is not on the internet but just on the computer, and can be played multiplayer only if you have other computers linked to that the host computer. hope that cleared some stuff up.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LAN = Local Area Network

just to make it a little more clear

Best answers
when i check the box for dedicated server the click ok Esf compleaty closes can somebody help me with this?

Best answers
the host of a dedicated server cannot join it, its a way of haveing higher speeds for other players, if you want to play on your created server, it has to be normal, but it will stop running when you leave the game

Best answers
You can host a dedicated server and join it if you want, you only need to change your server port to 27016 and you'll be able to playin it.

Best answers
you make a shortcut of the hlds.exe , and your line should look like this "C:/hlserver/hlds.exe -port 27016
that's all

Best answers
you know, you right click the shortcut and you press property, after, in the line that look like this : C:/hlserver/hlds.exe , you add " -port 27016" (whitout the ")

Best answers
you MAKE a shortcut of the hdsl.exe file (located in c:/hlserver (default)) and you do what i have said before and you will be able to play on your own dedicated server.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cyclone, for people who want step by step help, it is generally recommended to use IRC for obtaining guidance [ #esf-help @ GamesNET ].

As for your queries, I'll answer them all:

> LAN [ Local Area Network ] Games are games created using protocols that work on a 'Local Network' as the name suggests. This can be via direct link, computers running on the same ethernet network, LPT-to-LPT DCC or LAN connection via male-to-male direct wire between 2 pc's.

> You can make 2 types of servers. 1.) Listen Server - which is a server in which you are in the game as well. When you close the game, you are closing the server as well and it will obviously dissappear along with you. You cannot keep your server on the net with this. 2.) Dedicated Server[/url] - is a server which you cannot join from the same IP/PC, don't try it. When you run this option using CREATE GAME (with 'dedicated server' checked), ESF (HL.exe) will shut down and start the hlds.exe excecutable and now all you will see is a DOS console through which you can control your server. You cannot join this or watch people play in your server through hlds.

> You don't necessarily need a shortcut to create a dedicated server, you can simply do so by going to MULTIPLAYER > INTERNET GAMES > CREATE GAME > check 'dedicated server', choose settings > OK; via HL/CS and ESF. I would recommend that you take this path rather than mess with shortcuts since you are obviously not understanding how to use and change shortcut properties.

All of your questions have been answered, if you have other specific queries - feel free to make another thread. But my personal recommendation to you would be to get on IRC and ask for live help from one of our helpful personelle's.

Closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom