Lots of new members...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a thought, but can you give out warnings or something for not reading the stickies? Warnings might be a bit too harsh but Ive been noticing a large number of question posts by new members who didnt bother to do so.

Keep it up, mod type peoples!

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry, but we're not Nazi's. We try to be as helpfull and lenient as possible to people who are new here.

People who have been around for quite a while will be warned in such cases. Newcomers not.

Best answers
well....why not do someting like this...U know when they become a member they need 2 accept some rulez..wich they don't read and just clickz on the I accept bla bla bla.....anywayz when he is done registering a message should appear saying something like:When you first try 2 make a new topic plz search the forum 2 see if your ideea is already in the forum or something like this more clear........and the message will not be on the inbox or pop=up cuz they might have a pop-up blocker....when they done registering when day clicl Done (I don't remember exactly)this message appearz on the next page........hope I sad so you can understand

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I think new members should be forced through a mini-quiz, like 3 or 4 most commonly broken rules that they have to correctly identify. In fact, we should make *all* members do that; then there wouldn't be any excuse for breaking those rules anymore.

Best answers
heh, ill be in favor for that...
do we get a score???:p
we can even start a competition, who gets the highest\lowest score...:p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
new members should be forced through a mini-quiz, like 3 or 4 (or 5 :O)most commonly broken rules that they have to correctly identify. In fact, we should make *all* members do that; then there wouldn't be any excuse for breaking those rules anymore.
Best. Idea. Ever. You could do have a multiple choice quiz as part of the account creation process.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with the quiz thing, questions should definatly be the most broken rules:

What is the max signature size? (600x200, 1200x900, 2000x1000 (answer = 600x200))

If someone doesnt reply to your thread within 48 hours, what do you do?(Bump the thread, do nothing, make a new thread(answer = ermm....whats the answer on this one?)

If someone flames at you, what do you do? (Flame him, whine like a baby, report to a moderator, spam(answer = reporting))

If you want to make a suggestion and you dont know if it has been suggested before...what will you do?(post anyway, search first, **any other fake answers?** (answer = searching))

If you are requesting for a model, what do you do?(post in the final request thread, post a new thread, spam other threads of good modelers(answer = final request thread))

Just a few of the possible questions you could ask

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You want to find out the release date of 1.3, do you:

a) PM or email the team members, if anyone knows it'll be them.
b) Create a thread about it, someone's bound to have the answer.
c) Check the front page, the news section.
d) Ask in an already existing thread, no point in creating a new one.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what happens if you fail the quiz o.0 and the answers have you be believable ya know? that way noobs aren't like "that ones easy it's this one!" answers where they actually have had to read in order to get it right.

My suggestion would to make a popup to people who sign on telling them all about the rules. And if they break them they get a warning. But i'm not sure if any of this can be done by this type of forum. Could it?

[EDIT]

Ravendust the answer is obviously 'b' duhh :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i think, for every right answer you get a point so like:

0-3 points
You have not readed (what is the past tense of...to read?) the rules well enough, we encourage you to look into them once more *link of rules*, you are now allowed to enter the ESF forums (you shouldnt disallow them after getting a low score, this would only annoy them, which may result in losing future members)
Please do mind, that if these rules are not followed, you may be banned

[Continue button]

4-7 points
You know the rules, but not too well, we still encourage you to read the rules once more, this is to prevent you making unnessecary (typos?) mistakes which may result into getting a warning and eventually a ban, have fun at our forums!

[Continue button]

8-10 points
You know the rules very well, therefor, we thank you for reading them, have a nice stay at our forums, and become a good member!

[Continue Button]

Well ofcourse, the amount of points you get depends on how many questions you will get, but this is just an example...

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Personally I think new members should be forced through a mini-quiz, like 3 or 4 most commonly broken rules that they have to correctly identify. In fact, we should make *all* members do that; then there wouldn't be any excuse for breaking those rules anymore.
Oh come on. Having a community like that would scare everyone away. We're not monsters you know.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well you could alter it a bit cold...like...once in a while you hold a mini competition for everyone with less than lets say....100 posts, they get these kind of questions and when they get enough points they get a small price or something, so its worth doing the quiz....this would not scare them off, and might encourage them to read te rules

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the idea, but just because it sounds cruel. On that note, if you fail the quiz, you should be banned for a month (from the site and forums).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom