London Riots

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Some more rioting occurred overnight, although apparently London was pretty quiet. I only live about 30 miles north of London but I've been fortunate and nothing's happened here. It's rather sad, apparently this is my generation acting, but I really can't get into their mindset - did they even consider what would happen to their victims?
I'm sorry for your lack of understanding, I tell you what though, I can help you. Produce any thought, then think about the opposite to your thought.

THERE! you have a Violent YOUTH's understanding.

And Eon, is it so hard to question everything your given?, is it a crime to be skeptical? I definatly do NOT buy everything I'm told, otherwise I would be very gullable indeed. As this thread has witnessed, something about the lethality of the police force. The people that want rubber bullets and such, clearly it would be seen to them as some temporary treatment. But my friends, this is how nation's come to use with these things, there unsure of at first until one idiot points out it's usefulness.

THIS IS A TRICK, MARTIAL LAW IS IN PROGRESS AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT MY FELLOW BRITONS. IF I AM WRONG ABOUT THIS YOU CAN EAT ME.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
PS: 16k police officers, there are about 7m people in london from what i recall. THATS 1 police officer every 400 citizens.
Don't overdramatise this, it's not like 7m people are rioting

So how are the streets now ? a bit cleaner I suppose ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically, last week, a man in his late 20s had his head blown off by a policeman. The man was armed, and the police said the man shot first, and the bullet pierced the policeman's breast pocket, which was thankfully stopped by the radio in his pocket. A few days later, forensics reveal that the bullet the man supposedly fired was from a police-issue gun, and that the man never fired at all. To worsen the situation, the man apparently didn't have a real gun in his hand. Worse still, a couple of days ago, the police issued a new statement saying that no-one in the force claimed the man fired at all.

Just like the student protests earlier this year, what started peacefully turned into groups of yobs initiating acts of looting and vandalism in Tottenham, which spread across London, and has now spread to Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham, Leeds and Manchester.
Unfortunately, it's kids and youth with "no stake in society" that are doing all of this. Not saying I condone these actions, there's a lot of pent-up rage amongst youth and the unemployed in England.
Take for example, myself, who has a decent set of GCSEs, A Levels, and is currently studying at a good university; I got rejected from many summer jobs this holiday due to lack of work experience. Taking this into account, imagine how it is for school-leavers that are trying to get jobs or apprenticeships, or even for those wanting to go to university, to find that you can't get a job due to bad GCSEs or a lack of experience along with the job cuts, there is practically a ratio of 1 apprenticeship to every 3000 people, and the government are raising yearly tuition fees from £3,300 up to £9000 especially in the midst of a recession. You're forced to live off welfare, although most likely due to your own lack of academic ambition during your teenage years, and aren't really given a fighting chance at landing a job. Their actions at present are completely unjustified, and there is no need for their senseless acts of thuggery and hooliganism, but the government has a lot to answer for. The Sony building that was burnt down is at least covered by insurance, but it's the small family owned business that are being made to suffer, and in some cases over the last 2 days, families having to deal with a loss in their family as a consequence of being caught in the cross-fire: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/three-men-...BzdGNhdAN1awRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2UEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

The police aren't really doing anything to help themselves either, in light of the constant changing of their story; they aren't using their powers to make arrests, but instead are chasing down looters and telling them to go home. Locals are doing a better job of protecting their businesses and homes than the police force currently are to be honest. Situation in England and Scotland is completely FUBAR in terms of the people doing the looting, and those in the police force and the government =/

Last edited:
Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Just like to point out that I don't mean demonstrators, just looters and arsonists.

Also, not saying I support the government or their actions that people claim caused this, but I'm opposed to anyone who decides to set fire to random people's homes. These people had nothing to do with it so causing harm to them or damaging their property is meaningless. The minute they decide to start setting fire to random peoples homes for no reason, not caring about what happens to the people inside, they are nothing more than worthless meat. Not going to be a popular opinion I admit but that's just me.

fortnox said:
The media has pulled a real slick move. No-one can talk about the reasons for the social unrest that caused this rioting or the reasons behind the original demonstration without being pegged as a looter supporter.
The reasons for the original demonstration don't really matter right now. Once the riots have been stopped then people can focus on the actual demonstration and not the violence and looting.

fortnox said:
So we need to focus on the problems that caused this symptom, rather than rashly trying to beat them down
Yes, let's just sit back and watch as greedy idiots do as they please, all the while other people watch and notice that the police aren't doing anything and so decide they may as well loot something too (yes people have been doing that). You can't just sit down and focus on what caused it while people are setting the city on fire.

fortnox said:
there are many deep seated and difficult problems to solve that will take many decades to change
The problem at the moment is the riots, then once they are over the issues causing them can be tackled, unless you propose we let them do as they please for those decades you mentioned.

fortnox said:
Then we should work on generating more low-paid jobs
That would've been good.....before it started, as it is they have burned down several shops and warehouses....thus destroying jobs and creating more unemployed.

In the end it comes down to this, they are responsible for their actions. They decided to act like vermin. There are other people in just as bad and worse situations as these people, but they didn't decide to act like that. And let's face it, most of the looting and everything has nothing to do with anything, people are just seeing oppertunities and taking them.

This reply is somewhat messy but oh well.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I said in my post, I agree. The riot has nothing to do with the demonstration. It has to do with much more complicated issues of the poverty line, ASBO culture and the rich-poor divide (Or rather, chasm).

Haha wow, nice strawman bro. I'm not making broad, rash reactionary statements so clearly I'm suggesting we just let the rioters destroy local shops. You clearly didn't read much into anything I said.
Why are rich kids rioting again? http://bigpeace.com/nmachiavelli/20...-those-riots-just-ask-some-of-those-arrested/

Now, obviously there are problems with the rich/poor divide, I'm just saying that the crisis is obviously more nuanced than just that.

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I heard that there was an extremely attack happened on London Riot. People are damaging properties causing vandalism and using objects to defend themselves from cops; cops will barely had them under arrest for being cruel and trying to fight back. (Per violence will never stop until the solution has been fixed)

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why are rich kids rioting again? http://bigpeace.com/nmachiavelli/20...-those-riots-just-ask-some-of-those-arrested/

Now, obviously there are problems with the rich/poor divide, I'm just saying that the crisis is obviously more nuanced than just that.
This is kind of funny as David Cameron was part of the Bullingdon Club in his youth, who would go around destroying shops and property, and then leave a bunch of cash behind to pay for the damages. Pretty much the ultimate "**** you" to anyone on the receiving end. Daddy's money protects me from the consequences of my actions, so I can do whatever I want, basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom