Logan vs Jack Thompson

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
@ Majin_You, just a objective friendly note, he is kinda right ;p.

@ Logan, flaiming a person, no matter who it is with no chance to reply, is pretty useless.

How can J. Thompson defend against your critque?
Also as Optimus Prime pointed out, your essay is flawed and poorly backed up with good arguments.

I don't know what you're referring to. I don't recall making any statements about anyone being right or wrong. ~Majin_You

Best answers
I thought he asked when he first post that he didnt want to be critiqued on his grammar, structure of the paper, or any other stuff like that... and instead just wanted to compare Logan to Jack Thompson. Of course, I maybe wrong......

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
I thought he asked when he first post that he didnt want to be critiqued on his grammar, structure of the paper, or any other stuff like that... and instead just wanted to compare Logan to Jack Thompson. Of course, I maybe wrong......
No he edited his post after he saw what people like myself had to say about it. It's funny how opti and pride is right and everyone is shunning them about it.

As for you opti- i agree with you 110%. (Is that allowed? Can i agree with people in this thread?)

Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
No he edited his post after he saw what people like myself had to say about it. It's funny how opti and pride is right and everyone is shunning them about it.

As for you opti- i agree with you 110%. (Is that allowed? Can i agree with people in this thread?)
Okay then, did not realize that. Ignore my post then... If you want to. XD

Best answers
Good rant.

Bad thesis.

In essays, personal pronouns cannot be used.

In addition, it is too biased.

It gets the point across, but the point is made THROUGH your opinion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I got my grade back.

A- *****es. Why not an A or an A+? Because my outline sucked. However, he wrote down:

"Your paper was not only entertaining to read, but it shed some light on this whole Jack Thompson story for me. Your statements were solid backed up by good evidence as well as your own feelings on the matter. Your outline seemed to be lacking, however. Be sure to include more details in the outline so it can be more easilly compared to the final work. Otherwise, great job." A-

So for all of those who seemed to have a problem with the formality of my paper.....*points and laughs at you*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright...you don't get to taunt the rest of the thread just because your teacher isn't aware you fed him an editorial instead of an essay.

You have to keep in mind, most of the standards by which your paper was judged in this thread were those of people who have completed their higher education, or who are in the process of achieving degrees or diplomas in college. In the case of myself, I am a highly trained writer who has been working in the News industry for the past 6 years.

You have to understand the point of writing an english paper in the first place, which obviously you don't. It's not to vent or to rant, it's to show two sides of an issue and declare a clear victor. It is to convey your view to another, in hopes they may adopt or at least understand it. You didn't do that at all. You just said Jack Thompson is wrong, in as many witty and sardonic ways you could muster. "Strike three, Jack, you're out." Brilliant--but you never really explained OUR side of it, did you? You just said Jack Thompson is a douche and this is what makes me think he's a douche--NOT why his point of view is incorrect.

Writing an argumentative essay on Jack Thompson, the goal should have been clear--when a Jack Thompson supporter reads it, they should see our side of it, and see the failing points of his side. It should show them that he is wrong. Your paper and your brash attitude actually plays to HIS advantage--you make him look RIGHT about our attitudes, our disrespect, etc.

Your teacher is probably someone who probably never wrote anything in his life. Actually, if this is high school english (in which case, the only standard they have these days is trying desperately to get you to know what the **** a pronoun is) I'd wager he is probably just a failed writer (if a writer at all). Most english teachers are, actually, struggling writers. And if he thought that was a good essay, it's no wonder he never wrote a successful book.

The fact that you were allegedly assigned a "Write some stuff about anything you want, however you want, with no criteria whatsoever" paper makes it that much less impressive. He didn't care about the tense, the topic, the reliability of the information, the blatant editorialization, the clear bias, probably not even the grammar or spelling. He also didn't care about any common english narrative essay factors, such as theme, simile & metaphor, tone, thesis, argumentative comparison and contrast, or even your damn grammar, from the sound of it. I could have written the dialog from Perfect Hair Forever and 'entertained' him enough for an A-. Good evidence...pfft...what evidence? You used some Wikipedia quotes, but none of them are actually EVIDENCE to Jack Thompson's contrary. They're just quotes used to incriminate him...and even that is done without much gusto.

So don't be proud you got an A- from someone who probably hasn't got the slightest idea what a good english paper is about in the first place. Hell, you're in probably like the eighth or ninth grade anyway. I bet the guy was just thrilled you used periods and commas.

This is, of course, you're not just feeding us a load of rhino crap. Which--judging by your teacher's grammar, and it's similarity to that of your paper--you probably are, anyway.

Don't let me catch you using this to antagonize the rest of the people in the thread for disagreeing with you again.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Alright...you don't get to taunt the rest of the thread just because your teacher isn't aware you fed him an editorial instead of an essay.

You have to keep in mind, most of the standards by which your paper was judged in this thread were those of people who have completed their higher education, or who are in the process of achieving degrees or diplomas in college. In the case of myself, I am a highly trained writer who has been working in the News industry for the past 6 years.

You have to understand the point of writing an english paper in the first place, which obviously you don't. It's not to vent or to rant, it's to show two sides of an issue and declare a clear victor. It is to convey your view to another, in hopes they may adopt or at least understand it. You didn't do that at all. You just said Jack Thompson is wrong, in as many witty and sardonic ways you could muster. "Strike three, Jack, you're out." Brilliant--but you never really explained OUR side of it, did you? You just said Jack Thompson is a douche and this is what makes me think he's a douche--NOT why his point of view is incorrect.

Writing an argumentative essay on Jack Thompson, the goal should have been clear--when a Jack Thompson supporter reads it, they should see our side of it, and see the failing points of his side. It should show them that he is wrong. Your paper and your brash attitude actually plays to HIS advantage--you make him look RIGHT about our attitudes, our disrespect, etc.

Your teacher is probably someone who probably never wrote anything in his life. Actually, if this is high school english (in which case, the only standard they have these days is trying desperately to get you to know what the **** a pronoun is) I'd wager he is probably just a failed writer (if a writer at all). Most english teachers are, actually, struggling writers. And if he thought that was a good essay, it's no wonder he never wrote a successful book.

The fact that you were allegedly assigned a "Write some stuff about anything you want, however you want, with no criteria whatsoever" paper makes it that much less impressive. He didn't care about the tense, the topic, the reliability of the information, the blatant editorialization, the clear bias, probably not even the grammar or spelling. He also didn't care about any common english narrative essay factors, such as theme, simile & metaphor, tone, thesis, argumentative comparison and contrast, or even your damn grammar, from the sound of it. I could have written the dialog from Perfect Hair Forever and 'entertained' him enough for an A-. Good evidence...pfft...what evidence? You used some Wikipedia quotes, but none of them are actually EVIDENCE to Jack Thompson's contrary. They're just quotes used to incriminate him...and even that is done without much gusto.

So don't be proud you got an A- from someone who probably hasn't got the slightest idea what a good english paper is about in the first place. Hell, you're in probably like the eighth or ninth grade anyway. I bet the guy was just thrilled you used periods and commas.

This is, of course, you're not just feeding us a load of rhino crap. Which--judging by your teacher's grammar, and it's similarity to that of your paper--you probably are, anyway.

Don't let me catch you using this to antagonize the rest of the people in the thread for disagreeing with you again.
Why do you always discourage everyone? FFS SaiyanPrideXIX, stop being a noob for once. This thread is about his paper, not how you were a writier for the news industry for w/e years and adding uter complete bullcrap that makes you sound that you know alot of crap that really you don't

Anyways,

Nice paper Logan. I'm sure Jack Thompson would be one pissed elephant if he read that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
Why do you always discourage everyone? FFS SaiyanPrideXIX, stop being a noob for once. This thread is about his paper, not how you were a writier for the news industry for w/e years and adding uter complete bullcrap that makes you sound that you know alot of crap that really you don't

Anyways,

Nice paper Logan. I'm sure Jack Thompson would be one pissed elephant if he read that.
I agree with DJ on this one. You really need to stop.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have a problem with the way a moderator has conducted their duty you can take it up with them in a PM, or PM one of their superiors. You two have been here plenty long enough to know that.

Warnings to both of you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
If you have a problem with the way a moderator has conducted their duty you can take it up with them in a PM, or PM one of their superiors. You two have been here plenty long enough to know that.

Warnings to both of you.
Well then here comes another one Pain. Suck it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:

Aww did I strike a nerve?

I like how you talk about "achieving a higher education" as if you assume I'm not reaching a higher education. Just to give you an idea, this is my third year of college. So I've achieved quite a bit of education.

Also, once again, someone makes a comment on how a paper should be written! Oh noes what shall I do? Oh yes. I shall remind him that...wait for it...wait for it....wait for it.....here it comes....THIS WASN'T MEANT TO BE TRADITIONAL IN THE FIRST PLACE! OMG WHATEVER SHALL YOU DO NOW?!??!?

Also, the fact you assume so much about me and even my english teacher proves your own ignorance. You assume you know everything, yet you do not. You know NOTHING. Do I make myself clear? You know NOTHING about me, nor the teacher I have. If you perhaps TOOK the class I did, you would understand who he was. He is, in fact, a successful writer. He has even traveled the world gaining information to use to write. He is very intelligent. It just seems that you don't want to admit that maybe, just maybe, your precious "proper ways" have failed you this once and someone with a creative mind has actually succeeded in something.

After reading your rant, you seem awfully pissed about me being actually RIGHT. Well face the music, bud. I got a good grade from something you considered garbage, because YOU do not agree with something that YOU think is right. Think outside the box and perhaps you'll grow up a little bit. Perhaps you'll rise above the "it's this way or no way" attitude and the "I know everything about your teacher and what kind of person he is" comments. Because quite frankly, you dont know jack ****.

By the way, I like the whole "well, you must be lying" attitude about my grade. Seriously. Thats hilarious. You're a funny guy. Here's a coloring book. Go make daddy proud.\

Edit - Oh And I must say. For someone who's supposed to be a moderator, you like to go out of your way to START flame wars rather than prevent them, don't you?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd, you and I have had discussions in the past about your behavior, and for the most part you've been good lately. I'm sure I wasn't the catlyst for that, but let me be perfectly clear:

That **** is NOT cool with me. No one is allowed to back talk moderators for doing their job on the board. So enjoy another :warning:warning:warning: for being an ass when it wasn't waranted.

As far as Pride is concerned, he was expressing his opinion in here, and posting anything in a discussion enviroment is grounds for Crits and Comments. I would prefer that he be more civil, but he did give usefull criticism on the paper, like it or not.

Logan, I'm going to let that one slide, but that's the LAST salvo from either of you. You both walk away from this argument, now ;/ or I start kicking ass and taking names.

Best answers
ANYWAY.... congratulations on your A-, and this is a college course, correct?

Oh, and for the record, i wasn't critiquing your paper, so you cant call me a *****!!!! Hahahhahhhah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom