Logan vs Jack Thompson

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Perhaps next time, telling us the guidlines then posting the paper is the best decision. It's like making a game and not telling anyone the rules.
I had assumed that everyone didn't need to be spoon fed such information.

To Everyone: From here on out, any further discussion regarding any sort of format or guidelines to english papers will be ignored. Wanna talk about how english papers should be made? Make another topic. This topic is about the content of what I wrote. Not the format. Get it? Got it? Good.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gonna have to agree with Fire Phoenix here. When you said 'English Paper', I automatically assumed the guidelines that have been grilled into my brain by my university.

While I know not all universities / colleges use the same essay writing guidelines, I assumed there was some sort of universal base line, such as not using "I", or Wikipedia. Guess I was wrong.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
C'mon, guys. Let's leave him alone and do what he asked:
Logan said:
This topic is NOT about how "formal" my paper is or is not, so do NOT post about how my sources or subject are not professional.
BTW, Opti, your title is great.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd argue that wikipedia is a very legitimate source in some cases. Especially when it comes to studying pop culture subjects wherein there is little to no formal research on a particular subject. Of course it helps to have some other qualifying resources but for movements, wiki is great because it's maintained by those who form the basis of the pop culture movement.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yo. Stop going off topic, people. Discussion about Sources stops now. I didn't make a topic about this -_-

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Out of curiosity, how long did it take to type that up?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to guess between 1 and 2 hours.

...or are we only allowed to say, "Sweet man you owned Jack Thompson" and nothing else about the thing, at this point?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I'm going to guess between 1 and 2 hours.

...or are we only allowed to say, "Sweet man you owned Jack Thompson" and nothing else about the thing, at this point?
=/ I'd have to agree. I figured the way a paper was written is talking about the paper. You hate J.T, great. We get it. Your works cited page and the way you wrote your paper both coinside with your paper. They aren't about your paper sure, but they are on the subject of your paper.

And how do you expect this thread to work if you expect us to only be able to say "oh, great paper J.T sucks" or "Oh, your paper sucks, J.T rocks" What else is to say about your paper? You already know we all hate the guy. So there isn't anything to say to it. Sure we can comment on how we agree with certain things and why, but you already know we agree. And the only thing left to talk about are sub catigories of your paper; i.e things you don't want us to talk about because it's negative critisicm. It's like saying "Please crit my sig i made, but only the text. Don't crit the stock or the bg, or how i used brushes and blended things because i'll just ignore you"

Logan said:
I had to write a paper for english that could be based on anything, so I decided to wrote about J.T. However, it isn't a biography. In fact...well...if you have some free time, go on ahead and read my paper! This will be the basis of the flash rant I plan on doing.

Note: Things in parenthesis are cited sources. Just ignore those.
Now, that is your original post before you edited it. No where does it say "talk only about the subject of the paper" in fact no where does it say talk about anything, it just says to read it. But wait you edited your post, let's take a look at that shall we ?

Logan said:
Note 2: This topic is NOT about how "formal" my paper is or is not, so do NOT post about how my sources or subject are not professional.
Okay so this time you told us what not to post. But this was after you edited it. So why do that? Why say "You can't say this because this topic isn't about w/e" when you clearly didn't state what the topic WAS about in the first place. You also have yet to tell us what the topic IS about. We know it's about your rant on J.T. Great. So what can we say? You haven't asked us to give crits, you haven't asked us to talk only about the subject, you haven't done any of that, so like any intelligent person would do, they assume that they can say anything about the paper. Including their opinion on what was previously mentioned.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Id say that J.T is an ass and your essay doesn't make him sound half as bad as he really is.

All your content is true though and I completely agree with you that he should get the **** out of our lives...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoyed the read Logan and sorry the thread kinda backfired on ya, kinda stupid to start blabbing about credentials when that isn't what the topic was about =/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
I enjoyed the read Logan and sorry the thread kinda backfired on ya, kinda stupid to start blabbing about credentials when that isn't what the topic was about =/
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm sorry that the topic backfired as well. However, I'm not all that surprised it did, considering the people that made it go off-topic. I guess asking politely not to go off topic doesn't work. I will see what alternatives I can try to prevent any further smart-ass remarks about the proper form of an english paper in my topic.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh it happens. Were you serious when you said you were getting an A or was it just projection? You should let us know what your professor thought of it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You made a thread about an english paper and people talked about ENGLISH PAPERS. None of this was offtopic at all.

What exactly were you expecting, anyway?

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He probably expected, people would be nice for a change, but that seems to be impossible nowadays on these forums.

A nice paper, Logan, I enjoyed it.

nge

Best answers
A paper like that would make an excellent first draft for any formal paper, and a great finished product (a few minor grammatical errors aside) for an informal paper.

If it were polished up quite a bit, it has potential to be a pretty darn decent editorial.

Nitpicking aside, nice rant Logan. I enjoyed the read very much!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
You made a thread about an english paper and people talked about ENGLISH PAPERS. None of this was offtopic at all.

What exactly were you expecting, anyway?

It was about the subject of the paper not the mechanics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Perhaps we should just retitle the thread "Applaud my flame of Jack Thompson." Maybe that will keep people more on the alleged topic.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
I guess asking politely not to go off topic doesn't work.
Well Captain Politeness, usually if you ask nicely in the first place, instead of editing it in after the fact, it has a greater effect. You can't expect to say "Here's an essay, discuss", without having people discuss the essay.

But on that note, I'll critique your rant.

Every argument you've made, someone else either said first, or drew a webtoon about it first. The Jack Thompson debate is tired, in fact, I was kind of hoping it was dead. Your rant isn't really all that analytical either, more so a description of all the video game related stuff Jack's done in his career, but couldn't your prof just read wikipedia and get the same story, without all the wit I suppose?

The whole thing is pretty one-sided, and biased. But that's the point, right? And you can't forget all the witty insults like:
Jack Thompson is quite possibly the most illogical, stupid, and irritating man I have even heard of during my 20 years of life.
Is that a thesis? Wow, such strong arguments carry the weight of "my dad can beat up your dad" and "you can't come to my birthday party." But again, I guess this is a rant, not an essay.

And yet, he went to law school, AND passed the bar, while you're writing about him in an arts school, go figure.

I really don't think Jack is stupid. Just an extremist trying to push an agenda, by any means possible. Now that's a thesis.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Perhaps we should just retitle the thread "Applaud my flame of Jack Thompson." Maybe that will keep people more on the alleged topic.
Pherhaps you oughta drop that attitude.. In every thread I see you post, you always have to be the bastard, and ruin it.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cold Steel said:
Pherhaps you oughta drop that attitude.. In every thread I see you post, you always have to be the bastard, and ruin it.
Let's break this part of the thread off, now. This is escalating to a level that I don't want or expect to see.

If some of you want to continue debating the issue of who's posting correctly, you can do so outside of the thread. I don't know about you, but the only part of the thread that has gone awry, from what I can see, is this debate.

Knock it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom