linux server

Best answers
eheh now here is one that will pick all those peeps minds that think they know linux.

ready

u install esf as user root.
very important root. . .

u can run the game fine as root nps but in the interest of security u dont want to stay loged on as root.

so now u are trying to load the server as another user e.g. say me (bata)

now here it comes

u try to load what happens. . .

u get errors up the yin-yad
this is caused by the user not have permissioning to the files. as the only user that has acess to the files are root and group root. now u go through and chgrp <group> * to all files and directories within the now u have access to the files but only limited access. so u must now go through and chmod 770 * all the files instead of going through each file individually. . .

finally after all this u can load the server under the user bata

my question is.

is there an easier way besides just loading the server as root?

Best answers
Why install it as root in the first place, why not just install it as a different user? I have hlds (and all it's mods) installed in my $HOME. Works fine.

Sharku

Best answers
hmm i'll have ta try that but u install it under a different user do u still have access to the game if ur different user to the user that installed it e.g owner ben group users. will i have access to the files if i'm in the same group??

Best answers
Ok, so let me see if I get this right:

* you have two users: ben and bata (or whatever)
* both users are in the group users
* user ben installs hlds and esf
* user bata should be able to run hlds as well

You won't be able to install it in ben's $HOME since that has 700 permissions for ben only (don't change that, ben won't like other people snooping in his files ;) ). In that case you're stuck with installing it as root and chown'ing it to something else. I'd recommend putting hlds in /usr/local/games and just change ownership of it, as the permissions are set up pretty good straight out of the .tar.gz IMHO. I don't see the need for everyone to be able to have write permission on every file in your hlds_l directory (which chmod'ing to 770 would do), except for maybe a config file or two.

Sharku

Best answers
i know bout the home dont worry its not there so basically u are saying i should check what ever folder i'm installing it to should have 770 permissions??

Best answers
Yup, that's it. All the files in the folder are 644 (755 for the executables) by default, so all you really need to do is chown -R user:group hlds_l

Sharku

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom