Laptop noob, am you?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Yes I am.

Anyhow I just got my mom's new laptop, but I never had a laptop so im not touching it until I know what im doing.

First of, what do I do with the battery, should I empty the battery then recharge it during the night, or maybe 6 hours? The battery bugs me most.

As well as should I check for burned pixels and so on?

What do I do?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I don't see why you should recharge it every time before using it :). You can fully use the laptop while charging and use it while not being charged, if that's what you mean. As for the dead pixels, would be handy to do so to see how many dead pixels you have. But I'm not familiar with the warranty rules of where you live. I believe in the Netherlands you can return a monitor screen if it has over 3 or 4 dead pixels, could be wrong though. But I'm not too sure about laptops though.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
lol, I meant the first recharge sky xD

I just got it, the question is should I empty the battery and charge it overnight (like we usually do with the cellphones, dont know what we do in the newer cellphones)

Or should I do something else with the battery?

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
I don't see why you should recharge it everytime before using it :). You can fully use the laptop while charging and use it while not being charged.
true, but you should be carefull during the "i will not use the laptop for a longer time" ( weeks or longer )

e.g. Li-Ion battery = should be 40-60% charged if you dont use it
you should check what tye of battery you have and then google it on how it should be stored

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Here's what you should do.

1. Only charge the battery when its below 15%.
2. Unless its charging, don't keep it plugged into the charger while you're on it.
3. Try to keep it unplugged as much as possible when the battery is charged.

The point in this is if you constantly leave the charger plugged in, you're battery will overcharge, and then not be able to hold a charge for long anymore, or it might not hold a charge at all unless it's plugged in.

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Ofcourse not. When the charger is plugged in Your laptop will be more stable and have slightly more performance due the charger. You can charge your laptop whenever you us it or not. My dad uses his laptop 2-3 times in a week and yet he is charging it all the time. No plug off. With the charger on it, it can ue more power like brighter screen etc.

But im not sure about it. Everyone I know is using a laptop that way.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Same for me, I usually always use a laptop with the charger in. When it's full, It's using the netpower directly if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
And especially if you have Vista you can manage the power of it. (Xp could also have it). You could also only plug it on the charger if your using it. That should be the safest way.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If you keep it plugged in all the time, over time your battery will lose it's charge.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you keep it plugged in all the time, over time your battery will lose it's charge.
The battery will probably last longer than the time you'd use the lappy as your primary comp. And if not, buy a new battery pack. They're not terribly expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom