Kickstarter for ESF

Best answers
I couldn't find any suggestion on the forums for a Kickstarter, so I couldn't find any reason it should'nt have been made years ago!

I know that ESF needs modelers, but they'd probably have an easier time finding some if they could throw some dough their way. Plus, it'll also get hype for the game going too.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I couldn't find any suggestion on the forums for a Kickstarter, so I couldn't find any reason it should'nt have been made years ago!

I know that ESF needs modelers, but they'd probably have an easier time finding some if they could throw some dough their way. Plus, it'll also get hype for the game going too.
We could do that if we were Bandai, Funimation, Toei or Akira Toriyama was on our team. Since that is not the case, no kickstarted for us.

Last edited:
Death from Above
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Not an option, been suggested multiple times

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Not so long ago an indie team asked Konami for permission to make a Metal Gear remake and Konami accepted (even though the changed their mind 2 months later). Isn't it possible that you guys could get permission from Funimation to make this mod so you're able to take donations, etc.?

I know this has been asked before, and I know you guys will stand by your decision but I just wanna know your opinion about it.

I am no more
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Not so long ago an indie team asked Konami for permission to make a Metal Gear remake and Konami accepted (even though the changed their mind 2 months later). Isn't it possible that you guys could get permission from Funimation to make this mod so you're able to take donations, etc.?

I know this has been asked before, and I know you guys will stand by your decision but I just wanna know your opinion about it.
I think it's a risk, because they could just shut the whole thing down, even if they don't accept it(?).

Best answers
Okay I see. I should've realized the only reason this game can be be made is because you guys won't make a dime from it.

I'm guessing there's no way you guys would want to cut a deal though? This game could easily sell like crazy for 15 to 20 dollars on steam, maybe more (depending how it turns out) Dragonball owners would essentially get free money since they won't be working on it. All they gotta do is let you use the Dragonball name to make money for you and them. Why wouldn't they want to?

And it's either no money or some of the money for you guys right? So isn't that kind of a win win? If I'm missing something, please let me know.

--- edit ---

I think it's a risk, because they could just shut the whole thing down, even if they don't accept it(?).
If I'm not mistaken, as long as they don't make money from it, they can't shut it down. (Since it's just being shared with everyone, and doesn't even have DragonBall in the title, you could probably classify it as art interpretation) Otherwise the game would be shut down whenever funimation noticed it. So I don't see the harm in asking.

Maybe they already asked and got denied?

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If I'm not mistaken, as long as they don't make money from it, they can't shut it down. (Since it's just being shared with everyone, and doesn't even have DragonBall in the title, you could probably classify it as art interpretation) Otherwise the game would be shut down whenever funimation noticed it. So I don't see the harm in asking.

Maybe they already asked and got denied?
No. The team doesn't have a license to be creating this mod, and because of that, ESF can be shut down at any time. The probabilities of that happening are very slim, though.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's an awkward situation.

On one hand, it might be a good idea to do the right thing, get in touch with official channels and establish the relationship - clarify intent, reach a mutual understanding, etc possibly leading to a license in some form and securing future development. Who knows.

But on the other hand, they might not be so reasonable or it simply doesn't gel with own business plans and it would be best to stay beyond their radar.

I think this is a case where it is safer to assume the curious shadow is a tiger than a tree. To paraphrase a certain smeghead, it may be better to live a day as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm, but whoever heard of a worm-skin rug?

Best answers
I see. Yea, that's definitely a tough decision. Welp, its you're guys' game. You gotta do what you think's best, and it seems you got it figured out.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
It's an awkward situation.

But on the other hand, they might not be so reasonable or it simply doesn't gel with own business plans and it would be best to stay beyond their radar.
That's what will absolutely happen, if you tell a big Japanese company that "westerners" are developing a game from a Japanese source.

🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
In all honesty I think the team should wait until they have a Finished Product and it's released to the public before they even get into with these major companies. If they're even considering to contact the owners of Dragon Ball Z.

πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
In all honesty I think the team should wait until they have a Finished Product and it's released to the public before they even get into with these major companies. If they're even considering to contact the owners of Dragon Ball Z.
Well if they release it to the public then there's no point in contacting them :p

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Who know's maybe the the other way around, and the official dbz creator buy's out this game lol.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
He doesn't have to buy out anything from the team - Toriyama and Toei own the rights to the content. It's theirs already. That's the whole point.
If anything, its between Valve and Toei.

I think ideally the team may be better off somehow making it a standalone engine and publishing that under their own banner, shipping with essentially blank assets of their own IP and Dragonball stuff then being a free 'mod' of that. Then they would at least have some form of legal ownership of the engine/game design, and Toei & Bandai couldn't just rip it off later. But they probably would anyway.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Ah, now that explains the route that Bid for Power took and what came to be known as EBFP! I can see the positive in all that, but the game has already been brought up to a point that you can't just switch to another game engine! You've done too much work hacking the Goldsrc!

Best answers
If anyone working at bandai is not familiar with ESF then they should be fired immediatly for being clueless. If I owned the rights to this I would definitely support this mod and just let you use the rights. Why does it matter you aren't charging for anything.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If anyone working at bandai is not familiar with ESF then they should be fired immediatly for being clueless. If I owned the rights to this I would definitely support this mod and just let you use the rights. Why does it matter you aren't charging for anything.
Let me tell you about a little indie project named Chrono Resurrection and why you dont see it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ANEBIB0oao

Totally shut down by Square even though it was gonna be free.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
I think there was another similar case with another Chrono Trigger game, crimson echoes, also shut down by square enix, which is kinda sad because they themselves fail to provide anything new for the chrono trigger fans yet shut down any attemps the fans try to revive the series.
On the other hand theres a mod for crysis called MechWarrior: Living legends i think and, instead of closing it, microsoft actually encouraged the creators to go ahead with it, so i guess it depends a lot on the companies but i wouldnt risk letting bandai or whatever company owns the rights for db games know much about this, especially now that xenoverse is close and this would most likely affect the sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom