Java?? C++?? Take over? what?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, This kid in my computer cad class says that C++ is going to be out dated soon and run over with Java.... and im like... what are you talking about?!?!?! and of course since i create websites im thinking Java Script... and hes like Java and Java Script are 2 different things. I still dont beleive that this is true. Cuz i know PCjoe and every other coder uses C++ . SO what do you think will happen? WIll Java be used instead of C++ one day?

I wouldnt mind to hear what a true coder has to say to this. So I'd like to hear everyones opinions and Pcjoes.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i aint a true coder yet but im learning :laff:

i think the C++ will eventualy get run down by Java and that Java will get run down by something else just like whit the hardware so the software time consums evrything

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
offcourse such things as this will happen on a day, C++ is a older language and new companys are making new coding languages of these days which have far more possiblitys then the old ones, and are far easier to understand, but reall coders such as harSens and Pcjoe will probly just stay at C++ since it takes alot of time to learn a whole new language while the possibilities are almost the same, New coders can probably learn Java better since its newer then C++ but vets can just use C++

Best answers
well at my school we're doing stuff with c++ so.. i dont know heh.
but ALL things get outdated and overrun with newer and better stuff.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Yeah, This kid in my computer cad class says that C++ is going to be out dated soon
This kid in your computer class has no idea what he's talking about.
Computer languages are nothing like graphics cards and computer games, which have a peak of being the best of the best and then get replaced by a new one very soon.
It'll take years just for C++ to leave the commercial software industry, let alone become obselete.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
see dragon dude i thought the same thing. all computer classes in my school (we have like 5 computer labs or more) they all teach c++ while this kid has this 7 inch thick book called "java" o.0 I'm like. Uh ok. He's telling me that soon Java will run down c++ and will take over. Then again i say other wise. I don't think C++ is going to die any time soon...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One of the most useful things about programming languages is that they can be constantly "upgraded" with new libraries and such. It isn't really a matter of "language X is better than language Y because it can do this and language X can't!" anymore, it mostly depends on preference, experience in one language over another, and popularity. You aren't going to want to go through the hassle of rewriting a program originally written in... say, Pascal to C++ just so you can work with it, or any language for that matter; it'd just be easier and better in the long run to learn the language the program is written in.
If he wanted to be taken seriously, he could've said "C++ is going to lose popularity soon", but I'd still say it's just his opinion.

Best answers
Java is pretty much like C++... it's the same kind of language, they're both object oriented! Just java gives you the possibility of using it in any interface! I hope I'm correct with what I said, at least it was what I caught up from the classes of programming and algorythims (hope I spelled it right)... that's just what I think of it! And java script and java are different! About C++ getting overrun, it will happen, naturally, but not in a long time lol!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can only talk for my school-within the last few years, they've stopped teaching C++ to CS/IT majors, and are now exclusively teaching Java. Java, like C++ is an object oriented programming language, rather than a procedural language like C, Fortran, Cobol, Pascal, etc..

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They arent saying that C++ is bieng outdated with Java. They mean is the tests are not useing C++ anymore. Both lanugages are equally able to create great programs. It is just one is used more than the other when makeing small programs.

My school switched 2 years ago cause all the AP tests got changed to Java. I learned C++ for the first part and Java for the second 2.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One thing which may happen in the distant future is the overtaking of C++ by C#. Ever since MS introduced Managed DirectX (MDX), it has indeed become easier to create 3D engines using the C# language. Although C++ will never become truly obsolete or phased out, just like people still use C these days even though C++ is widely available.

As for Java overtaking C++? Heh, I don't see that happening. The only advantage that I have experienced with Java over C++ is the fact that it functions on multiple platforms.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In High School, they taught me C++. In College, they taught me Java. But both are basically just trying to teach you concepts. If you understand the concepts behind programming such as polymorphism, inheritance, etc. Then you can pick up most recent programming languages and be successful at it.

Java and C++ are very similar anyways. One huge difference why Java would never be used for videogames, for example, is java has a built in garbage collector which takes care of the memory leak issue, however that has a tremendous overhead that comes along with it.

Both languages are very good, for very different reasons.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
grOOvy said:
One thing which may happen in the distant future is the overtaking of C++ by C#. Ever since MS introduced Managed DirectX (MDX), it has indeed become easier to create 3D engines using the C# language. Although C++ will never become truly obsolete or phased out, just like people still use C these days even though C++ is widely available.
its kinda like...the same and grannys do X_x, u dont see much grannys use pc's since its to 'new' for them, they would never get used to these kind of things, same goes for coding languages, after u learned one, you wont be learning a new one that fast as long as the original coding language u know is still good ;)

Best answers
Evil_Trunks said:
In High School, they taught me C++. In College, they taught me Java. But both are basically just trying to teach you concepts. If you understand the concepts behind programming such as polymorphism, inheritance, etc. Then you can pick up most recent programming languages and be successful at it.

Java and C++ are very similar anyways. One huge difference why Java would never be used for videogames, for example, is java has a built in garbage collector which takes care of the memory leak issue, however that has a tremendous overhead that comes along with it.

Both languages are very good, for very different reasons.
Not really. In a lot of performance tests (except from test that require tons of array bounds checking), Java performes as well as C++. Not taking care of memory deallocating prevents having a lot of hard to trace memory errors. Contrary to the claims of people have here, C# or Java don't take that long to learn. Once you know one OO language, you basicly know all of them. It took me one day to convert a multi-threaded java program to C#, including half a day to actually install the microsoft C# development enviroment. Java is used in a lot of research enviroments already, and (thus) I wouldn't be suprised if it would be one of the major languages in the, say, 10 years. C, assembly and maybe C++ will always have their role in low level (OS, embedded sytems, etc) programming though.

As for C# vs Java, the choice basicly is:
Do you want a really good programming environment (Visual studio) vs a slightly less, but free programming environment (eclipse/whatever). Java has the big advantage of being platform indenpendant, which means your program will not only run in Windows, Linux, Max OS X, BSD, etc, but also on mobile phones. C# programs only run on windows-like enviroments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom