Japanese Politicians want to make real, working Gundams.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Last edited:
Best answers
This is what watching way too much anime can cause you.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I've always dreamed about being in the cockpit view of a gundam, my imagination only thought it could be done in a video game. What a surprising twist, now the real thing might actually come out before the emulator!

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, but the issue is the U.S Army did several tests and it's impractical. Two legged makes no sense, tractor's like a tank is best - you can't be tipped over as easily, you can fire heavy caliber guns more accurately and steady, and in general, the controls would be very awkward to use, no matter how much you trained in it.

It works in anime and older movies; but very much testing has been done by the U.S Military and others - It's just not going to work.

These may serve as something of a sideshow attraction and be very cool, no doubt, but they have no place in the Battlefield. Maybe stunt shows.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I see, so you think its impossible to make a two legged robot and make it stable enough to shoot guns, if USA can't do it, no one can! They better drop it while they still can! :mad:@@

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Japanese are the ones that can pull off some crazy shit. Brace yourselves guys, gundam space fights are coming.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I see, so you think its impossible to make a two legged robot and make it stable enough to shoot guns, if USA can't do it, no one can! They better drop it while they still can! :mad:@@

Uh, no, I didn't say that. Other countries than the U.S tried it, including Japan, and had it fail and the glaring problem was made apparent.

It's just impractical. Two legged VS Tractor, just doesn't make sense to chose two legged. Some may claim, you can move around in tight spaces easier...but then again, you wouldn't be bringing something like a Gundam or Tank to a tight space...there's no need and it's silly, it'd become an easy target for all involved.

I really love giant mecha robots and want them to become a reality.

However, evidence suggests they aren't really worth it, combat wise.

But Japan is going full Gundam, no?

Oribital Elevators, and now Gundams? Cmon!

Though they do have uses for things such as carrying equipment over difficult terrain:

But this? Just doesn't work.

http://youtu.be/oVwbUljGs3g

Last edited:
Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yes, but the issue is the U.S Army did several tests and it's impractical. Two legged makes no sense, tractor's like a tank is best - you can't be tipped over as easily, you can fire heavy caliber guns more accurately and steady, and in general, the controls would be very awkward to use, no matter how much you trained in it.

It works in anime and older movies; but very much testing has been done by the U.S Military and others - It's just not going to work.

These may serve as something of a sideshow attraction and be very cool, no doubt, but they have no place in the Battlefield. Maybe stunt shows.
Let's change that to 'with current robotic technology'. To be clear, I'm not a fan of mecha anything. I just don't like them. But Gundams don't use current level robotics, everytime you see them in any anime, it's years after they've started to work on them and by this time have 'perfected' the bi-pedal design. Hence the reason they appear to be as agile as they are. Current level robotics won't allow something of 'Gundam' level quality, but if they invest seriously in it.. it very well could be the start of working towards a legitimate working bi-pedal design.. one capable of catching it's balance like a person would after having taken a heavy fist to the face.

As much as I couldn't care less for this particular story, and I doubt, despite my previous paragraph, that it'll really go anywhere.. it very well could be the start of the future for armored units on the battlefield.

Discord Member
Best answers
2 legged machines are all about just balancing the top and making the foundation heavy as shit.. hopefully they can work it out ... it might b pretty freakin cool ... but HIGHLY impractical though LOL

Badassologist Ph/D
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I don't think theres a computer system on this planet that can send as much information as your brain does to your body to keep you in balance while walking. Until they have some kind of system to perfectly replicate that, which i do think is possible it just hasn't been developed yet, I don't think any 2 legged machine will be very stable. I do however love Gundam and would love to see a real working one built. I always wanted to wield a beam saber or fire Heero's buster rifle

Sonic The Hedgehog
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Problem with a huge humanoid robot is if they are to heavy to balance itself then maybe reducing the weight or lighting up the metal used something that can make it light, but doing so will make the armor more weaker if its thin than thick hard metal. Maybe they was trying to use the toughest metal on the planet that we know that maybe failing these projects, maybe a less tough metal might be best sense some metal are extremely heavy.

But that's some guesses that might be the problem.

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hence why I said that in series like Gundam, it's always taking place after such a point where the bi-pedal design has been perfected. Current level robotics/tech wont allow for something of Gundam series style robotics, but could be the start of development towards that in the future.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well regarding the balancing issue. That can be left to the pilot provided they manage to imitate most joints of the human body.

Imagine the pilot being strapped in an exoskeleton that receives direct feedback from the machienes joints.

As such the pilot would pretty much be walking as he would normally inside the cockpit. This would enable the pilots own movements to compensate for any balance calculations.

Basically similarly as it was depicted in Escaflone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK38WzlNvfk

Skip to 2:40

But again the joint system of the mech would need to be perfected enought o match that of a human.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom