Jack Thompson says he's "Protecting America" like a Super-Hero

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I bet you thought that you had seen the last of this guy when he got disbarred, huh? Well, think again. He claims to have "won" regarding EA's decision to change the name from "Taliban" to "Opposing Forces" in the upcoming Medal of Honor.

Jack Thompson has been well known throughout the video game community for trying to ban titles like Grand Theft Auto, and being overly critical about pretty much everything related to video games, calling them "murder simulators". His latest actions stem from trying to ban EA's Medal of Honor from going on sale, even going so far as to asking US defense secretary Robert Gates for help, and also bashing US forces who had helped with the making of the game.

Part of his letter reads like this:

“With all respect for everything else on your plate, but as someone who has represented the surviving family members of such video game-caused massacres, I personally urge you, as Secretary of Defense, to do what is necessary, proper, and legal to stop the release of Medal of Honor on October 12 on the basis that it poses a demonstrable danger to our troops by providing a training tool for those who wish to kill them.

I would also strongly suggest that the Defense Department find out who these Special Ops people are who have acted so foolishly in this regard.

Finally, I believe the full weight of the federal government should come down upon Electronic Arts and the video game industry’s Entertainment Software Association for their allowing, presently and fraudulently, despite promises to Congress, the widespread pre-sale of this adult game to minors throughout the country and around the world.”

Jack Thompson didn't get a personal response, but after all the controversy surrounding the matter, EA did make the decision to change the name. Greg Goodrich, executive producer of the game, said the following:

“We have also received feedback from friends and families of fallen soldiers who have expressed concern over the inclusion of the Taliban in the multiplayer portion of our game. This is a very important voice to the Medal of Honor team. This is a voice that has earned the right to be listened to. It is a voice that we care deeply about. Because of this, and because the heartbeat of Medal of Honor has always resided in the reverence for American and Allied soldiers, we have decided to rename the opposing team in Medal of Honor multiplayer from Taliban to Opposing Force.”

Following this, Dave Orshy of RipTen contacted Thompson with a simple email saying “Hey Jack, I’m sure you’ve heard by now that EA changed the name of the Taliban in Medal of Honor. Care to comment?”

The response he got was as follows:

“Sure. I win again, as usual. Any gamers who don’t think so and who don’t appreciate what I do to protect our culture can go to Hell.” with a later follow-up email adding “and please add: Any gamers that don’t know how to get to Hell on an expedited basis, let me know, and I’ll send along the cheat code to get there more quickly.”
http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/82327/jack-thompson-thinks-gamers-should-go-to-hell/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already know how to get to hell. Get a degree in law and fight freedom of speech and artistic expression on the basis of personal beliefs.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, went from a pesimistic douche to a pesimistic dick. Way to go Jack.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I so wanna Pwn him. ;(

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If he's trying to protect the culture he should probably say something more constructive than telling us to go to hell.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This guy never fails to make me lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom