It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How easily people believe stuff...guys, it's a hoax, and even if it wasn't, there are weapons to destroy that kind of thing. Remember when it was all over the news when they said a meteor will reach us on 2027? That was actually true. And it missed. This is a hoax, and it's the end of the world. Interesting.

EDIT: I just got a thought. If this really IS for real, then we have an 70% chance of survival. Why? Because 70% of the earth is water, and if it lands in the water the worst thing that can happen are floods. And I live in a continental country so no worries for me. :smile:

Best answers
I seen many shows on the Discovery channel, Discovery Times, the History channel, the science channel and even a 2 hour event on 20/20 a few months back about the obliteration of the human race... (Im kind of an armageddon nut :p)

But anywho, these shows would list the top 10 threats to humankind, including Nuclear armageddon, the rise of Cyborgs, the sun going ballistic, and of course... this.

But the thing about all them lists, they ALL mentioned this asteroid passing so close to earth that it will go beneath our satellites in 2029... then in 2036 it will hit us (given that it passes through the "keyhole" that is needed for our gravity to manipulate the track of the asteroid)

And.. this threat happened to be the number 1 on most of the lists... followed by global flu epidemic and Nuclear War.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blow up asteroid, Earth gets hit thousands of times by broken fragments.

Bad idea.

That's why they'd rather force it away from Earth altogether.
Well not if the fragments are small enough to just vaporize into the atmosphere (though there will probably be some that are a bit large).

Moving it way from Earth is probably easier though

EDIT: I just got a thought. If this really IS for real, then we have an 70% chance of survival. Why? Because 70% of the earth is water, and if it lands in the water the worst thing that can happen are floods. And I live in a continental country so no worries for me. :smile:
If an asteroid is big enough, it will not matter if it his land or ocean =X

Assuming this is true, Wikipedia says it was most recently downgraded to 0 on the Torino scale.

Best answers
Well not if the fragments are small enough to just vaporize into the atmosphere (though there will probably be some that are a bit large).

Moving it way from Earth is probably easier though.
There is still too great of a chance of large space objects being blasted out of that asteroid and hitting the earth. and another problem with nuking an asteroid is that instead of having one large asteroid.. you now have thousands of little asteroids that are now radioactive.

There is an idea though to detonate a nuclear weapon near an asteroid. Scientists believe that if one is detonated near an asteroid, then the explosion would push the asteroid off course.

Best answers
It's going to miss, and even if it hit it woulden't kill every human around.

If I die, then bon-voyage.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah crap...the article says an impact at the furthest possible distance would send constant 50 foot waves to hammer California...crap. I'm glad I live East of Orange County behind mountians, but if worst comes to worst...I'll miss Disneyland...and Anaheim Stadium...and the Golden Gate Bridge...

But what's all this talk about us deflecing it's course when it passes us? Kinetic Energy Impactor? Ion-Drive Powered Gravity Tractor? What the Hell is this, Star Wars? Do such things even exist? Regardless, I'm glad it's not a planet killer, but a crater 5 miles wide and 9,000 feet deep? Jeeze, that's a pockmark. I wonder if we'd see lava in the bottom after that?

EDIT:

Ooh! Ooh! I know! Why not just hire Sora and seal the keyhole! Lol...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

This type of thing always happens, every 5 years there's some huge disaster that's going to wipe out mankind as we know it. Besides, everyone knows that in the year 2012 the Mayans will come back and save us.
and that big asteroid several kilometers in diameter in size is going to crash into the planet,

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bah, I'd pay no attention to the tabloid crap. That whole industry never had any credibility to lose. I don't know how those magazines are still in business. I can only assume there are more dumbasses in the world than I suspected, and my expectations were hardly conservative to begin with, so this level of stupidity & gullibility would give salesmen (and Satan) a boner.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
its new to me that discovery channel broadcasts hoax stories.
the asteroid isnt a hoax but it'll miss us anyway.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey Guys if a asteroid will come to destroy us I will save you :D

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its new to me that discovery channel broadcasts hoax stories.
the asteroid isnt a hoax but it'll miss us anyway.
It's probably better if you let people believe this isn't real o_O. If it does hit, I want to see the faces of everyone who said, "LOL ASTEROID NAH!"

Best answers
i don't care when the world ends, i want that this useless planet would blow up.
I mean breathing the poisoned air for the rest of our lives...humph...people killing each other and even themself....i hate this planet and it's people...

Best answers
Don't worry my friends!

I shall use my mega explosion kameslash-ha attack to destroy it into space dust!
After all I'am a saiyan.
And if it doesn't work, I shall transform into oozaru and blow it up!

Well anyways, who cares about a stupid rock. Lets enjoy from our lives!:laff:

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i don't care when the world ends, i want that this useless planet would blow up.
I mean breathing the poisoned air for the rest of our lives...humph...people killing each other and even themself....i hate this planet and it's people...

You obviously haven't experienced very much if you believe our planet is useless, and everyone deserves to die because they're killing each other (ironic that you want to kill everyone for wanting to kill each other). You're only 13. Give it some time. Life is going to get a lot worse, and then you can look back and say, "Oh how I miss the good 'ol days!"

Best answers
Blah, ill probably die before that anyway. At least i dont have to worry about global warming at that point anymore... When im dead, it doesnt matter to me if the whole mankind is dead with me or if im the only one dead. I cant do a thing to stop asteroids or killer clouds anyway...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blah, ill probably die before that anyway. At least i dont have to worry about global warming at that point anymore... When im dead, it doesnt matter to me if the whole mankind is dead with me or if im the only one dead. I cant do a thing to stop asteroids or killer clouds anyway...
That's an awfully short life o_O

I mean even if the threat is relatively significantly low, so much pessimism in this thread =/

Ishuzo Kaisen said:
Do you really believe that the world only consists of pollution and death? A bit over dramatic I think.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
See what lack of snow does?

We have bigger problems than asteroids. Mainly people. And the whole "super intelligent intergalactic navy hell-bent on enslaving mankind once again because they need more gold to repair their atmosphere" thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom