its about the whole tweaking for better performance

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well ok i get the whole tweaking thing... its just. where do i put it. they say its in the autoexec.cfg but i cant get to that. it wants to open in from the internet??? confusing can anyone help?

Best answers
right click autoexec.cfg and hit open with, then choose notepad or what ever other word proccesor u have, set notepad as defualt so when ever you open a .cfg file it will open automaticly with notepad

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if you have no file called "autoexec.cfg" (I understood it in this way), create a textfile and call it "autoexec.cfg" ... then insert the commands, and it should work fine

Best answers
Nretep said:
if you have no file called "autoexec.cfg" (I understood it in this way)
Thats what i thought at first too but then i read this
chris109 said:
where do i put it. they say its in the autoexec.cfg but i cant get to that. it wants to open in from the internet???
Any way, i think you can even put in down in your config.cfg or type it in your console,the commands will still work(some of them may require a restart of half-life if you put them in the console though...)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Akcsfreak said:
Thats what i thought at first too but then i read this

Any way, i think you can even put in down in your config.cfg or type it in your console,the commands will still work(some of them may require a restart of half-life if you put them in the console though...)
i did that... and it still gives me 30-40 fps... am i doing something wrong???

Best answers
its asking u if it wants to open from internet because u selected that option and msie is trying to find what the file extension *.cfg is well what u gotta do is instead of selecting the option to find off internet select open this program from a list of programs then you select notepad from that list and it will open in notepad

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dragongodz said:
its asking u if it wants to open from internet because u selected that option and msie is trying to find what the file extension *.cfg is well what u gotta do is instead of selecting the option to find off internet select open this program from a list of programs then you select notepad from that list and it will open in notepad
yes yes yes i know and i did that. and i copied and pasted all the stuff to make it better yet i still get 30-40 fps... why isnt it working?

Best answers
Are you using openGL? what type of cpu and vid card u got?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Akcsfreak said:
Are you using openGL? what type of cpu and vid card u got?
erm well i know im not using openGL but i dont know what kind of vid card i have or what type of cpu i have... maybe if you tell me how i can find out ill tell you

Best answers
since i cant remember the proper way to do it, heres the way i remember, just right click my computer and hit properties, that should show you the proccesor, its these lines
computer:
(company name)
Proccesor type
Speed

For vid card right click your desktop and hit properites, then click on settings, under display should be the vid card ur running

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
vid card- 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX with TV out
Microsoft windows xp, pentium 4, CPU 1.70 Ghz, 1.69 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

hope this answeres your question

(and if it makes a difference i have a cablemodem)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you won't get much more FPS with a GF2MX ...
GF2MX isn't good anymore ... and ESF needs much performance ... so be happy that you've got so much FPS with such a video card

spend some money into a new one and you'll be able to play esf smoothly :)
(if you've got enough, send me some ... I've got just a GF2Ti)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nretep said:
(if you've got enough, send me some ... I've got just a GF2Ti)

how do i send you some. and what do you want me to send

and this has been on my mind.... what do fps do and what does ping do. whats the difference. all i know is the more ping you have the choppier it is

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fps = frames per second ... this means how many pictures your pc generates ... the game runs smoothly for your eyes from 30 on
they're based on: CPU - GPU - Memory

ping = latency in millioseconds from the server ... if you've got a 100 ping, your game runs 100ms behind the servers one ...
ping is based on your connection to the server (bandwidth and distance)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As a minor correction . . . you PING the server and get 100 ms latency (not ping). Though the rest of his sentance is accurate. Thus the latency you observe after pinging a server is based on bandwidth, geographical distance and hops.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
As a minor correction . . . you PING the server and get 100 ms latency (not ping). Though the rest of his sentance is accurate.
As a minor correction ... nowadays the word ping is more used as "delay" instead of the function which gave it its name
ping is still an important function everywhere ...
yeah .. ping was just a function ... but why did HL call the row (is it row ?), if it means delay ??? ... ping was a function with tested the delay ... there's no real pinging after you connected to the server ... there's just time to travel for the information .. pinging while you're connected would just be waste of bandwidth

Cucumba said:
Thus the latency you observe after pinging a server is based on bandwidth, geographical distance and hops.
As a minor correction ...
the geographical distance doesn't really matter ... do you think it matters if you LAN cable has 10ft or 20ft ???
distance in network means hop (for those, who dunno what this is: a hop is equal to a router ... so just another connection point between you and the target, you've to pass)
bandwidth is a relative word ... (my LAN cables have a width from about 0.5cm :)) if I'm correct it basically means the speed of your connection ... so both of use misused this word ...
connection would be the better word to describe (as I said first) ... because you can have a 100MBit/s cable and just a 56kBit/s connection to the target ...
i.e. if you're up-/ downloading something or the traffic (in the area of the traceline) is too high, your connection to the server gets worse ...

I hope you got my points ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom