IP Address Question

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My ISP recommended that at least once a week that I unplug my router for a couple of minutes. I know when you plug it back in that you should get a new IP address but what benefits are there to doing this?

Also, couldn't I request a new IP address from my ISP through the command prompt?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, one of the benefits to having a different IP address is that people attempting to get into your computer will have a slightly harder time doing so. I'm sure there might be other benefits, but they elude me right now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You could always not do it and see what happens...

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
My ISP recommended that at least once a week that I unplug my router for a couple of minutes. I know when you plug it back in that you should get a new IP address but what benefits are there to doing this?

Also, couldn't I request a new IP address from my ISP through the command prompt?
All depends on the ISP.. On some ISP's you are stuck with the same IP, while with other you get a new one after xxx or hours, days, weeks or years or through re-connecting to the Internet like Dial up. There are down sides and benefits for this, but... Rather not say it in here :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom