Internet issues with torrenting?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys, I'm having a weird issue and I'm in need of assistance. Basically, whenever I torrent something, my internet drops and my main router (not linksys, but the actual cable provider router) decides to reset itself. This has always been happening to me, but on and off for some odd reason.

My cable provider is Comcast, and I'm not sure if you guys need my connection speed, but if you do, I'll do a speed test after I'm done downloading.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybe they Kill the connection to stop you downloading torrents

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Maybe the router can't handle the connections that causes the reset? Old router and or tried a different one?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys, I'm having a weird issue and I'm in need of assistance. Basically, whenever I torrent something, my internet drops and my main router (not linksys, but the actual cable provider router) decides to reset itself. This has always been happening to me, but on and off for some odd reason.

My cable provider is Comcast, and I'm not sure if you guys need my connection speed, but if you do, I'll do a speed test after I'm done downloading.
Either buy a new router or reduce the number of connections through the torrent program.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I'm not sure if I'm able to reduce the number of connections, because I was just downloading Starcraft through the Blizzard downloader, and it dropped me once. I dunno, maybe I was just sending too many "requests", because at the time my router dropped I was trying to load about 5 tabs of facebook.. and for some reason that site takes a while to load for me.

@Sky: Those are the only two routers I have, and my modem is the one I have issues with so I'm unable to disconnect my linksys and try it with just the modem.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does the Blizzard Downloader have the option of either downloading through p2p or directly from their servers? If so, then you may want to try the latter.

Your router probably can't handle too many connections at once (especially since you're using an ISP issued router, which are known to suck), which causes it to restart when torrenting.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's probably uTorrent 2.0. Revert to 1.8.5 and you should be good. A lot of people were having this problem, including me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Routers can only have an X amount of connections per minute before it pretty much locks up (and has to restart). Either up the connections in the routers root menu, or if you happen to have a Linksys WRT54GS you should install custom firmware for it. Exact same problem I had with torrenting, got it fixed by installing custom firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom