Impaling

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Hello,

I would like to suggest the option, to impale your enemy.

To impale an enemy, you simply have to throw him into anything that has a resemblance to a spike.

For example on the Cell_games map: 2012-05-19_00003.jpg

If you throw your enemy onto the spikes in the corners of the ring, he'll get impaled.

I would say that getting impaled drains about a quarter of you health.

So what do you think?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
We dont really have checks to see what shape the terrain below the player is. I can imagine that without creating a system from scratch for that very purpose it wouldnt really end well.

And creating a special system for that + animations of characters and so on would probably take to much tine for a feature that wouldnt even be useable in 90% of the maps. If the game was created so that impaling was more of a core feature, then that would be a different story. But im guessing (and this is only a guess without information from the coders and artists) the amount of time required to create a feature that wouldnt even be useable in 90% of the maps is not to practical development side.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Dunno about gameplay effects, but it would be good to have just for cosmetic purposes(Is that the correct term to use?) IMHO~
EDIT:
WELP NINJA'D

ANBU
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I for one don't really care about impaling.
As long as it doesn't slow down the production of the game. So yeah... it's a no from me.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
The only use for it I can see is to stay in Freeza's 2nd form and Own Krillin about 28 Times xD. Hey, maybe this could be made into one of Freeza's attacks?

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Yeah an additional attack for freezer (2nd form) :D

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The mappers could mark the pointy parts of the map and once that part is touched by the player, check if player is being thrown there and from which angle. Sounds like it would be a nice addition to the game.

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Or add that spiky stuff = extra damage
People would have to take the environment into advantage.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The mappers could mark the pointy parts of the map and once that part is touched by the player, check if player is being thrown there and from which angle. Sounds like it would be a nice addition to the game.
Thats what i mean. ATM there is no such thing as brush based entities were in the old map format.

Meaning it would pretty much have to be rewritten from scratch for the new format and all maps adjusted to work with it.

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats what i mean. ATM there is no such thing as brush based entities were in the old map format.

Meaning it would pretty much have to be rewritten from scratch for the new format and all maps adjusted to work with it.
Everything could be done code-wise as well, the mappers would only need to provide the coordinates. Like add them to a file which the DLL would read.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That may be so, but a spike is not a point, it is a cylinder.

We have no brush based entity support in our map format. Meaning no doors, no elevators, no teleporters. And spikes are brush based by HL standards.

So before we can use anythng of the sort, the entity system would need to be recreated from scratch to work with the new format.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
I think I doesn't have to be a cylinder. You can also get impaled by pipes and stuff like that.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I doesn't have to be a cylinder. You can also get impaled by pipes and stuff like that.
Im talking hitbox shapes.

A narrow cylinder with the width slightly more than the point of the spike.
One must also know which direction the spike goes for proper character adjustments upon impact and so on.

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That may be so, but a spike is not a point, it is a cylinder.

We have no brush based entity support in our map format. Meaning no doors, no elevators, no teleporters. And spikes are brush based by HL standards.

So before we can use anythng of the sort, the entity system would need to be recreated from scratch to work with the new format.
No, the mapper simply provides the coordinates of a place where there is something that looks like a pointy edge, and the direction it faces.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes but the code to recognize that is pretty much the same as brush based entitys work (well some of them like teleporters).

They only tell the engine (OK teleport anything within this area). And we have no such code for ESF, because the old map system was pretty much thrown out the window for the new one.

So there is no way round recoding a major part of the entity system. Ive spent hours talking with green on the issue of brush based entities, and the answer was that its simply to much work for the benefit it provides.

Badassologist Ph/D
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
In the show, if say for example cell threw one of the z fighters on to one of those spikes, Cell would just be an idiot and start talking about how they're helpless until the z fighter comes up with a plan to escape. because if your impaled, your not going to be getting back up right away. well unless your Majin Buu....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom