I have a proposition for a new Sub forum.

Best answers
Dunno if that is sarcastic or not but I'll just take it as is.

All I'm saying was when we had the added subforums we have now, they were completely unnecessary to begin with, and just made off topic "post this about this user above you" and "help this girl I saw one time didn't look at me I need to kill myself can I have sex with her plx" threads.
I agree there are probably too many sub forums now. But I think we needed a sub forum for tech if people want to discuss it. Things like anime/manga or even video games don't particularly need their own sub forum. The thing with allowing politics, you almost have to have it in a sub forum for it to be orderly and not smothering other off-topic threads.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dunno if that is sarcastic or not but I'll just take it as is.

All I'm saying was when we had the added subforums we have now, they were completely unnecessary to begin with, and just made off topic "post this about this user above you" and "help this girl I saw one time didn't look at me I need to kill myself can I have sex with her plx" threads.

Twasnt sarcastic >_> I don't like to use sarcasm, you can't really do it well on the internet, tone of voice is necessary.

Well I agree, this'll make those kinda threads the majority and well, for any of us not deemed reasonable enough to be part of such a privileged sub forum would pretty much make the offtopic almost pointless. Not only that, but no matter how mature you deem a person to be, there's been plenty of cases on this forum where we've all shown how we act when our views seem to be under scrutiny, even some of the most mature of us can be quite snide and vicious while debating the pointless issues, in fact, the more mature excel in this. The whole, 1 strike you're out thing wouldn't work either, since you're letting in all the people who know how to twist what they say so it's not exactly obvious when they're being disrespectful. It'd cause just as much tension. Thus like Sub says, it'd be more a popularity thing than anything else.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to be blatantly honest with you, because, tbh, I can. I can be because...no one does **** about it.

If you seriously think your moderation team is "mature" enough to hold a discussion forum with zero tolerance I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. I'd name names, but I'd rather not get into trouble because if I named names, those people I named would get pissed and be like "NO!!!"

Seriously, read a few posts of mine, or of some of the moderators here. I've seen some mods post what would get Zeonix banned. Hell, I might even get a warning from it. Yet you guys brush it off and don't notice it because they're mods. And we, the lower class, notice it easily simply because we see a higher class do something we can't and get away with it.

Am I for it? Sure. Go ahead. I don't see what harm can do of it, other than you might insult the people who think they're mature when they probably arn't (myself included, though I can be mature when I want to be).

But like I said, I know myself, and I know if political discussions were held, and I read them, I know i'd get more condescending *hoory for mispellings and not giving a **** to correct them* and probably more rude and hostile.

I can tell you right off the bat about 5 people that will, and can do so without getting into trouble, retort an arguement and post in an incredibly rude, and dehumanizing manner every chance they get in any post that involves a discussion that has two sides (in other words: every thread on these forums). But like I said, no one thinks twice about they say.
If you see anyone acting out of line, and I do mean anyone, try speaking up by PMing an admin instead of trying to play the poor victim being oppressed. I can assure you that mods who break rules are not above the law which they are supposed to uphold.

And I'm probably the only one honest enough to come out and say I've been more "spammy/sarcastic" lately simply because none of the mods say "Oh look, he's spamming, warning for spam" and then go off and...type an entire post about fish tanks while the topic is about video game violence, or something like that.
I don't know about the other mods, but I know I've spoken to you on more than one occasion regarding your posting behaviour. If it will ease your conscience, I had intended to warn you the next time I spotted it.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Chris', trust me, behind closed doors, mod mishaps get raped and attacked by other mods, trust me man.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you see anyone acting out of line, and I do mean anyone, try speaking up by PMing an admin instead of trying to play the poor victim being oppressed. I can assure you that mods who break rules are not above the law which they are supposed to uphold.

I don't know about the other mods, but I know I've spoken to you on more than one occasion regarding your posting behaviour. If it will ease your conscience, I had intended to warn you the next time I spotted it.
I don't ever recall you talking to me about my posting behavior. Not once. At least not in the past month or so. And tbh, i'd rather you just perma ban me. But w/e. It'd force me to stop coming here. You can take that sentence as you see fit. Oh yeah, and I can probably name like 3 people doing "much worse" then what I have been doing. I need to stop editing this post lol.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't ever recall you talking to me about my posting behavior. Not once. At least not in the past month or so.
Not once?
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?p=807043#post807043
Check the date on that while you're there.

And tbh, i'd rather you just perma ban me. But w/e. It'd force me to stop coming here. You can take that sentence as you see fit.
You are well enough aware of how to get yourself banned if you are so adamant about never being able to return.

Oh yeah, and I can probably name like 3 people doing "much worse" then what I have been doing. I need to stop editing this post lol.
Feel free to say so in a PM with myself or another admin.

And since you seem to adamant about the mods laying down the law more often, I'll ask that if you wish to continue this discussion you do so in a PM.

Back on topic gents.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
Not once?
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread...043#post807043
Check the date on that while you're there.
Haha forgot about that one, then again, I have a terrible memory. But that was one time :x mr. More than one occasion pffffft.

Pain said:
You are well enough aware of how to get yourself banned if you are so adamant about never being able to return.
Of course I am, I've only been around for 3 years. But I'm not the type to pull a Sean.

Pain said:
Feel free to say so in a PM with myself or another admin.

And since you seem to adamant about the mods laying down the law more often, I'll ask that if you wish to continue this discussion you do so in a PM.

Back on topic gents.
I'll pass on telling you who. As from prior experience it'll get me no where fast.

And as you wish master pain: I'll just say I'm for the "mature people only" part of the forums, but if it were made, I ask that I not be apart of it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
+1 warning for not taking it to PM as I said.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some people here have only been here less then 2 years, with more then 1,000 posts.
Gee ive been here since 2003 and have the second highest postcount :p

As for the idea. How about something like that old reputation thing thsi forum had 3 years ago.

Im not sure if anyone remembers but members could give positive or negative points for replys. Modify that into just negative poits for unapropriate posts and you have a winner.

A member whos points are low enough can't post in that section.

The only thing that would be needed of checking is if the post was realy inapropriate or not. If it was not inapropriate the guy who said it was gets the negative points.

And with inapropriate i mean flaming (the person/country/rase/religion). So if you act mature you shouldnt be in any trouble.

EDIT Oh shhizzles. I didnt notice page 2 >.<

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I think it would be great. :idea: I say, for interest sake, we give it a trial period. Pick a few members, give them topics that would test the boundaries of political discussion and see what happens. If it doesn't work (more than half the members in there get kicked) we let the idea go, or something along those lines.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Twasnt sarcastic >_> I don't like to use sarcasm, you can't really do it well on the internet, tone of voice is necessary.

Well I agree, this'll make those kinda threads the majority and well, for any of us not deemed reasonable enough to be part of such a privileged sub forum would pretty much make the offtopic almost pointless. Not only that, but no matter how mature you deem a person to be, there's been plenty of cases on this forum where we've all shown how we act when our views seem to be under scrutiny, even some of the most mature of us can be quite snide and vicious while debating the pointless issues, in fact, the more mature excel in this. The whole, 1 strike you're out thing wouldn't work either, since you're letting in all the people who know how to twist what they say so it's not exactly obvious when they're being disrespectful. It'd cause just as much tension. Thus like Sub says, it'd be more a popularity thing than anything else.
These are almost exactly why the senior forum staff nixed it when it was brought up behind the scenes.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
These are almost exactly why the senior forum staff nixed it when it was brought up behind the scenes.
Well there was a totaly successfull political discussion that went on for about 8 pages. So hope is still there. (OK so me, wallmart and bunker had a little runin with eachother but it was still settled without any flames or similar stuff)

So in my opinion it can succeed. But we wont know that untill we try right ^^

Best answers
Wow...lot has been posted since i left..

Okay this is what i feel.

anime/video games...should be let loose on the regular open forum. Now how can putting a political sub forum Hurt the open forum? We aren't allowed to talk about politics...adding it would only bring more people to the open forum and possibly jump onto another section of the forums. I see no logic behind what ya said maj sorry.

So you want an idea...take away the anime/ video game and keep the tech and fan fic. Tech is just an easy helper and stories need to have organization so keep the fanfics. Anime and video games should be part of the open forum. Politics should have their own seperate section just like other users said...it keeps it in the political section and doesn't leek into other parts of the forum...minus maybe someone using politics in one discussion against someone in another political debate.

For access. Having a pick and choose type of thing isn't really fair. Someone can be an immature person when talking about video games and saying "this game suck and you blow at it" but can be completely honest and truthful in politics. Politics whether or not a person is ignorant or not....is still a part of their lives and this can give people a better understanding of topics on hand that concern the lives of many people. You can be an *******....but you still can vote at the age of 18. Don't matter how Immature you ACT it is how old you ARE in america. So i say, let everyone have access and since pain said he would be more than happy to moderate...have everyone allowed to post. If you want i can write up a simple rule section for the political forum....i have done enough of these to know the basics behind rulings on politics...it isn't that hard.

One thing i don't agree on is a religious sub forum...that will just get messy. We don't need an ESF Civil Crusade...that would just be wrong

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I like the idea for a Politics/Philosphy section.

I can't think of much of a reason though.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm all for a politics section, but I don't think people should be picked by the moderation team before you can post there. Personally, I think anyone over 17 (maybe 16) should be allowed to post there. If they screw up, they're given the boot from that section. Hell, you can even ask us to decide whether the offender deserves to be removed for "x" amount of time from that section. That gives everyone an equal opportunity to participate, and it also weeds out anyone not mature enough to hold a civil conversation.

That said, I'd probably get banned while posting in that section. I like arguing for the sake of arguing. Its a sickness, really.

On a sidenote, if you want I'll be glad to be a mod. I can guarantee no one will flame. Ever. But the rules shouldn't apply to me. I need free reign.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chris', trust me, behind closed doors, mod mishaps get raped and attacked by other mods, trust me man.
Bad magpie you can't tell them about our private life! Although next time please wear that pink little lacy thing I like instead of those blue granny panties. :laff: :shocked:

Now lets get down to business. I do agree that if we do make this section that maybe "Off topic" will become obsolete pretty much but who cares when the posts you make there don't count toward your post count. Now since this going to be a mature section pretty much I think that post counts should be counted there if this section is made. If we create this sub forum I do believe were going to have trouble makers and with this sub forum 1 strike and your gone and this should go for everyone (except the team members obviously) if you can't control yourself in a simple sub forum then you cannot be there its that simple.

My idea to test this out would be to make a sticky for political/religious talk and give it a trial period and see how that goes and how everyone reacts. Since its a sticky it will be easy to point out the trouble makers and if the sub forum does get created the users who broke the rules in the sticky will obviously not be allowed access to that forum since they cannot handle themselves in a well matured matter in a simple sticky.

Thats all I have to say.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not only that, but no matter how mature you deem a person to be, there's been plenty of cases on this forum where we've all shown how we act when our views seem to be under scrutiny, even some of the most mature of us can be quite snide and vicious while debating the pointless issues, in fact, the more mature excel in this. The whole, 1 strike you're out thing wouldn't work either, since you're letting in all the people who know how to twist what they say so it's not exactly obvious when they're being disrespectful. It'd cause just as much tension.
In response to this, I'd like to say that wordplay is one of the many reasons why I and many others love politics. Being able to say something without actually saying it is amazing. So is being able to insult someone without them knowing because they're too focused on words you insert there in order to attract their attention.

I know you guys want straight talk, but I think that takes away from some of the magic and may actually create more anger since there's only one way to interpret "**** you. You're an idiot."

Best answers
Heh, true. It's amazing how much backlash someone gets for simply calling a user an ass. "... obviously trying to start a flame war." "... eats babies."

Anywho... personally another sub forum seems a little pointless at the moment. It'd definitely be a slow one, especially if it were to limit the amount of people able to post in it. I could foresee maybe 1-3 new topics a week, nothing paramount or worthy of its own playground.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anywho... personally another sub forum seems a little pointless at the moment. It'd definitely be a slow one, especially if it were to limit the amount of people able to post in it. I could foresee maybe 1-3 new topics a week, nothing paramount or worthy of its own playground.
If we can post an article and discuss it, we'd have new topics everyday.

Best answers
If we can post an article and discuss it, we'd have new topics everyday.
Then would it be necessarily any better than a "look what I found on www.news.com website" forum? More than likely the majority of those allowed won't know enough information on the thousands of random articles that pop up every day and it'll just descent into "lol that's funny" (Sorry if that's too wide an assumption). The only things that people discuss, apparently, with passion and intensity are wide-open ones, such as "Sadam to be hanged o/" and that religious thread that got closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom