I could not hold back :D

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
So recently i stumbled across some very interesting tech papers from the upcoming PS4 game Horizon : Zero Dawn. They talk a lot about the techs they used to create their realtime clouds.
They provide a couple of vids and a bigass powerpoint and explain(without code of course) how they shaped the clouds, rendered them, lit them and made them look allmost as good as offline rendered clouds in movies.

You all know i love coding and experimenting with graphics and shaders , so i just had to see and try out whether i could implement that into ESF. Well i could, as an ultra high-end feature IN CASE i keep it ingame.
First for anyone interested, here is the link to the puplication(pdf and powerpoint with vids)

http://www.guerrilla-games.com/publications.html

And ofc some screens how it actually looks ingame :

esf_island_test0000.jpg
esf_island_test0001.jpg
esf_island_test0002.jpg
esf_island_test0003.jpg

Still just an wip experiment, was quickly implemented in 2 days :D

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I must say they look impressive for a 2 day wip.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Link Fixed :D , they have a weird redirect

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Force Pit Member
Best answers
Haha you are a freaking king! Awesome work! I hope it reaches the final version and you do not remove it! :)

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay I feel stupid now. No idea how didn't I notice the net_graph. Guess I was too amazed by the scenery. But... why cap FPS to 60? Vsync? Do people even do that anymore?

Last edited:
Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
I allways use vsync, because i need to be able to track errors when moving the cam, so tearing is not an option^^
Optimized it in the meantime , around 25% faster and more precision. Still need a better temporal reprojection code.

As for performance, it's around 4 times slower than the old approach(wich will be reworked a bit) so it's only good for a graphics card like gf gtx770 and up

Main advantage is, this tech allows for localized clouds and weather. So the old simpler approach precomputed a lit cloud volume when the cloud coverage or sun direction changes. That limited me to a global coverage value.
The new one is fully dynamic in both, cloud formation and lighting. That way i can controll the coverage,size,density and so on with a texture. Means we can have one area with thick rain clouds and another area at the end of the map is clear sky.
To be honest, it might be overkill for esf...it's a tech suited for large scale open world games :D but hell it still looks nice in ESF

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wait wait wait, 770?
what about my 580!

god damn i love this stuff but it's killing my pc! lol
Good job on that :p

Btw those clouds can't be interacted with right? as in physx.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Those are the absolute high-end clouds, there will be faster , lower quality ones aswell(the old ones) so i know i got some cloud tech wich runs very fast on a gtx660
And nope those clouds are not interactive. On such a scale it would kill every gamer computer. Also it's not needed

Best answers
Those are the absolute high-end clouds, there will be faster , lower quality ones aswell(the old ones) so i know i got some cloud tech wich runs very fast on a gtx660
And nope those clouds are not interactive. On such a scale it would kill every gamer computer. Also it's not needed
If ever you need a person with medium pc spec (like this : I5-4570 3.20GHz 8GBRam Nvidia Geforce GTX 770) for testing ESF final plz call me ;)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
i have a 750, so i should be able to play on medium - high (not ultra)

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Looks amazing Ryu, is this just 'Beers law' or did you also try out the powder Effect?

Also, thanks for the link, I never knew Guerrilla also published dev articles.

Last edited:
Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Plakman. I can still see my messages and Hlev's messages on your signature. Can you please remove it! thank you. And sorry for the off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom