Hyper Threading

Best answers
Are there differnt manufacturers that make intel chipsets, sorta like other companys making geforce 4 cards.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL Cookster, I was messing with you. I have a barton core, that's why mine runs cooler.

Best answers
will a 8x agp geforce fx card work with my 4x agp mobo port?

Are there differnt manufacturers that make intel chipsets, sorta like other companys making geforce 4 cards.

Best answers
I have an 8x ATI 9700 that sits in a mobo that doesn't support 8x, so I believe the answer is yes. Not sure.

And there are always different manufacturers for intel products, but the intel chip is one of a kind. (Again, only assumption.)

PS - whats barton? Water cooling? If so - shame on you! :p

I wanted it, but I've spent enough on this pos, got other bills to pay and savings to save.

Best answers
I just need to know EVERYTHING about getting the geforce fx 5900/new mother board. SiSoft says my aperture for my agp is 128mb, does that mean that a 256mb card will act as a 128mb card?

The more I learn about this stuff, the more I want to know, and the more questions I ask. I just need to know how to update my mobo and gfx card. I dont want to kill my computer.

Please tell me EVERYTHING there is to know about upgrading my mobo/gfx card.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No no, if I'm thinking of the right thing your aperture size is just the amount of RAM that you have assigned to back up your video card incase it runs out of ram to process with. You can manually change that to anywhere from 0 to 512 megs of your system memory, but usually setting it to double whatever your card is is good enough to get you through most anything. If you have a 64 megabyte card or higher you theoretically shouldn't need to set this to anything but it doesn't hurt so long as you have the system memory to handle it incase your video card *wants* to use it.

If you buy a card that says AGP 8x but says it's 4x compatible on the box it should work on a mobo that only supports 4x. Just look for it on the box.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Boyster is right about the Apeture size and the AGP revision compatability. Though you shouldn't set your video apeture higher than 64MB on those high end DX9 cards.

Via, SiS and a few others support intel processors, but you will only get the Intel level of performance out of an Intel Chipset.

Barton uses a smaller ultraviolet lithography process to create the logic circuits on the die, thus it's faster and uses less electricity (and is thusly cooler). Overall, Bartons seriously close the gap vs the old thuroughbreds and palominos. (You have a tbred I beleive.) I'm running on a stock AMD fan and rarely see temps over 50c under load.

The only other thing you need to concider is voltage. A pro slot provides more power, and thus will damage an improper card. The DX9 cards do not require a pro slot, only a disk drive power cable. Make sure you have a power source capable of a minimum of 350w power output, or you'll get random crashes.

Best answers
well I have an AMD Athlon 2000+ with 512mb of DDR and a Geforce 4 mx440SE AGP 8x which I ended up paying about 500 bucks for in total (australian) and I have it sitting at 30*c and that is using a 2400+ stock cooling solution. with 2 case case fans (ripped off a couple of old AMD K6-300's) and when my Geforce 4 decided it didnt like my AMD mobo. I threw it into an old M577 board that has AGP 2x. and it worked fine. and now my athlon is running a 3dfx Voodoo Banshee 16mb AGP2x cardfor the time being until I pay off for my ATO Radeon 9800pro 8x AGP, with 256mb of ddr. and the AGP aperture size is indeed how much ram that the graphics card is allowed to take at anyone time. I usually have this set to the same level as my 3D card for optimum resuls. but if your running a 32mb or less I would advise about double your ram on the card.
and when I benchmarkes my system to a friends 2.8ghz P4 (everything else was allmost the same including graphics card) I ended up getting about 3 thousane marks then the P4. (tweaking was involved) In 3d mark 2000 (thats the test we used) I had the buffer on (single buffer) reolution down at 640x480@16bit. and disable Anti-Aliasing. and in the graphicscard menu (right click desktop, properties, settings, advaned... etc.) I disabled Antiostropic Filtering, and yet again Anti-Aliasing, placed the queality down, and also disabled texture sharpening. and in Direct 3D options. I had it on "best perfomance" and I ran the test gathering a score of a default 3d marks test of 14550 3d marks. compared to 11.5k that my friend got. (there abouts)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Matching the apeture on a 256 MB card is foolish . . . it's ussually maxed at 128 anyway.

Best answers
if i upgrade my mobo to one with a 8x agp... will i need to get a gfx card with 8x? Or will a 4x gfx card work with a 8x agp port.

Also my current mobo is the Intel® 850E Chipset and i am planning on getting the Intel® 875P Chipset . Also what do the P/E/G/PE mean at the end of their names?

Best answers
Jaredster said:
if i upgrade my mobo to one with a 8x agp... will i need to get a gfx card with 8x? Or will a 4x gfx card work with a 8x agp port.

Also my current mobo is the Intel® 850E Chipset and i am planning on getting the Intel® 875P Chipset . Also what do the P/E/G/PE mean at the end of their names?

ya a 4x card will work in an 8x port. the 8x means the port supports UP TO 8x agp. So anything less will work

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
P, E, G, and PE are all revisions of that chipset (or models) I believe these are models, and support different things, I'll poke around and find out.

Best answers
^_^ thx cuc.

So from what i can see a 8x card will work in a 4x port, and a 4x card will work in a 8x port.

and how do i startup into the bios on Windows XP?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Basic Input Output System is the lowest level control mechanism in your computer, thus it is always available before boostrap, and logically before the Operating System.

In english: It's the same no matter what OS you run.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive crashed my old computer multi tasking

i had winamp open, a mixer, 3dsmax, photoshop, flash, aim, icq, klite, connectix vgs, and about 5 folders open. when i tried to make a new layer in photoshop the whole thing just went dead. i had a couple other programs runnin in the bg aswell.

that was a great day because i was getting a ****load of stuff done.

Best answers
Start up in bios? Bios is when you press delete while booting up, it shows all the devices and how you prefer to configure them.

To start up in windows you just insert the XP CD and it should auto-boot to it. IF it doesn't, you have to go into the BIOS and set it to boot up to the CDROm rather than legacy floppy.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not always the delete key, it can be f1 or esc occcasionally. It depends on the BIOS/CMOS manufacturer.

Best answers
Its true, you will.

Dell likes to "key" their hardware components so when they go caput, and when you run out of a warranty, you must STILL buy parts FROM dell, in order to keep it going.

Business wise its great, but I fried a PSU trying to install my own when the Dell's went out. I called and *****ed and moaned until they sent me one for free.

Its crap, but its true, be highly careful when upgrading a Company built PC (Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom