Hyper Threading

Best answers
Is there a way to figure out what p4s have hyper-threading technology? Some do and some don't so I want to know how to find out which p4's have ones support hyper-threading.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It'll say Hyperthreading on the side if it has hyperthreading, or on the site if you're buying one, but don't even bother with that. If you're going to buy a new P4 don't go with hyperthreading, it'll just cost more and run at almost the exact same speed. It's just a gimmick and isn't worth buying into unless you run a habbit of playing half life and quake 3 at the same time, and even then it isn't worth your money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe that if it has a C at the end, then it has HyperThreading.
Example : Pentium 4 2.4C

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And HT = ****

Don't waste you're cash, P4 is using all it's muscle to avoid deep pipline branch prediction. HT takes away from that.

Best answers
*sigh*

All pIV processors with 800 FSB have HT,
others NOT (thats what I heard)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hyper Threading uses all the unused/absurd muscle the processor normally has and splits it into smaller virtual processors. A P4 rarely uses all of it instruction stages and pipes because it's branch prediction sucks ass. Therefore, we make 2 AMD's worth, and have true multitasking in the background.

When will you see the benefit? When you DL stuff from KaZaA in the background, run a video rendering ap in the background, and run HL in the foreground, while having 4 instances of winamp open.

IE: it's uselss.

Best answers
Hrm, cuc makes such a good arguement, but I am planning on getting a Intel chipset.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
Hyper Threading uses all the unused/absurd muscle the processor normally has and splits it into smaller virtual processors. A P4 rarely uses all of it instruction stages and pipes because it's branch prediction sucks ass. Therefore, we make 2 AMD's worth, and have true multitasking in the background.

When will you see the benefit? When you DL stuff from KaZaA in the background, run a video rendering ap in the background, and run HL in the foreground, while having 4 instances of winamp open.

IE: it's uselss.
You mean you DON'T do that? :D

Best answers
Cuc, I think your exaggerating the AMD's power. It isn't a godly processor nor is the P4 :S . Care about sharing the negitives of the AMD?

Best answers
Negatives of AMD:

You get what you pay for
Its cheap
Not as fast
Overheats

The down side to overheating = more fans for cooling, more power is used, more sound is generated by fans.

Buy Pentium.

I run an XP2100, and I would have gladly paid 200 more for a processor that doesn't run at 60 degrees.

60 Degrees celcius, and the heat sink I have on it covers half of my motherboard, is made of copper, and has an 18mm or 21mm fan on it, can't remember.

AMD = cheap, over heats
Pentium = overpriced, runs smooth and quiet.

Best answers
Intel = OverPriced, yes, $300 for the 3 GHZ processors

AMD = no, i dont want to get

But, do AMD processors work with intel chipsets?

Best answers
Go read TomsHardware.com, itsa my bible for getting computer stuff.

Truth: Pentium > AMD

Why go AMD? Because you get what you pay for, you pay $400 for your P4 CPU now, 2 months later it will be $136.

Same will happen with AMD, it just won't be as dramatic. $200 will go to be $140....

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never said AMD had godly powers . . . only that the P4 is just as overrated. Is it faster? Yes, but it also has some serious design flaws. My Athlon XP runs at 40c, guess you shouldn't have bought a crap fan ;)

Cause you get what you pay for, and I know I got every penny's worth out of this rig, where $200 goes to the intel inside sticker on a P4.

Best answers
Crap fan? That stock fan should be enough to cool the cpu, its designed to run at 90 degrees celcius. Guess what? Mine ran too hot with stock so I went out and bought at that time, the most highly rated CPU heatsink. 60mm fan though caused problems, high pitched noises, so I got an adapater and stuck an 80mm fan. Crap fan my ass.

The thing cools my CPU 30+ degrees, its not a crap fan.

On a side note - I will mention this, my friend paid $2500 for a P4 3.0 Ghz with HT, 1 GB Ram, motherborad, and a pre-modded case (thoes X ones...)

Guess what? I benchmakred 200 points lower than he did with an XP2100, 1 g b PC2700 DDR ram, and A7V333 motherboard.

But guess what? I paid 1800 for all of my system, but that included 19' black CRT monitor, Logitech THX 4.1's, DVD and CDRW, 40GB hard drive, keyboard, mouse, Audigy Platinum Ex, etc- the works.

And I still get almost as high a benchmark as he does.

Thats why people go amd. However, my system is loud, and I'm too lazy to RMA the cpu to get one that doesn' t run hot. So I just deal with it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh I have a reason to actually get HT, to get a processer over 3GHz. ;P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom