Human Evolution

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ Bolteh: Are you saying Christians will one day end the Crusades and the Pope won't rule the civilized world? Ha! That's as ludicrous as saying one day women will be able to vote and black people will be equal to white people!

Except it happened. Times change, people change.

@ Avenger: Start by removing your borders in the EU. When we form the NAU, our borders will also disappear. If you're unlucky, Russia will take over, Asia will form a super nation, and we'll have 1984 on our hands.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Biologically we will not change much. Since the evolution of modern man our race hasn't changed much.
Apes however evolved further. Our evolution has shifted from biological to technological and cultural.

But I don't think we'll ever evolve into one big society. But who knows...

Best answers
@ Bolteh: Are you saying Christians will one day end the Crusades and the Pope won't rule the civilized world? Ha! That's as ludicrous as saying one day women will be able to vote and black people will be equal to white people!

I already covered that.. By the time other cultures have changed to what we are now, we will have changed as well, most likely giving conflicts with the other cultures again.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not about strategic militarization or social differences, it's about being stuck in this irreversible nostalgia that "my country" has been around for centuries and centuries, so it has to automatically last forever.

"I am from (country)... there is no way I will share my nationality with someone who wasn't who I am originally."

We may have used countries and capitols to organize our economies, but that invites people to use them as a platform for anti-herosim.

There won't be any steps of logical evolution, as long as we consider borders our invisible walls of truth.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

@ Avenger: Start by removing your borders in the EU. When we form the NAU, our borders will also disappear. If you're unlucky, Russia will take over, Asia will form a super nation, and we'll have 1984 on our hands.
You get bonus points for that awesome reference.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We'll evolve exponentially until we reach a point where the percentage of which we do so drops again. Although our advanced society stops there, it doesn't mean that we don't help the other societies advance the same way we did, only faster.

Exponentially does not mean "REALLY REALLY FAST LIKE A ROCKET", it means that something is increased by a certain percentage per an event, or timeperiod. A good example of exponential increase is putting money in the bank. If you have 10000 dollars in the bank, and they give you 3% interest, and you keep your money there, you'll have one hell of a lot of money in fifty years as a result.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I said in my last post, the second we stop believing that our "country" has to exist forever, and realize it's just a wire fence and/or random forms of water that seperate us from unity, we won't be pulling any noticable levels of evolution.

I'm neither a racist or a bigot, but the fact Europe migrated all the "strong and healthy" Africans to the Americas, has heralded a concrete fact in what the African-American's gene pool is reflecting. The majority of African-Americans have a lot of natural athletic ability, and dominate the many forms of professional sports.

We as a species have reached one level of potential, the only way we could evolve completely is from the constant and direct threat of another species, or (as it awkwardly as it sounds to say) we continue the gradual interrecial breeding which combines all the distinct qualities of each race together.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess we're not talking about physical evolution, but societal evolution.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We adapt our environments to us, not adapt to our environments. I'd say we really aren't going to change physically, save for traits picked up by sexual selection.

As for this societal evolution business... I'm not touching that :p

Best answers
What are you talking about? For all practical purposes (trade, jobs, schooling) there are no borders in the EU. This has been the case since 1985.

I don't really see why you want to merge countries as happened in 1984 to prevent a 1984... Doing that on the basis of fear (oh noes the Russians/Asians are coming!) sounds already kinda 1984 ish to me.

As for evolutionary changes, as the population grows, we might not be able to house them on earth anymore. So we could slowly be populating our oceans and other planets. New branches of humankind will evolve, possibly helped by genetic engineering. We might have space nomads that spend, as their name implies, most of their time in space. In zero gravity four arms and a nimble body could be evolutionary profitable. Tails could be handy to maintain balance in such an environment. If you live in an ocean, it could be handy to to have enhanced lung capicity, or ultimatly to be able to breath underwater. High gravity planets will be housing bulky dwarfs.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What are you talking about? Am I going to have to start adding sarcasm tags to my posts?

Best answers
nvm I misunderstood. I thought you wanted Europe to merge to stop the Russians/Chinese.

Best answers
they will make some building or whatever and dig very deep and find a.....GIANT DRAGON EGG!

(its a motherdragon wich plants more eggs etc etc)

its the truth

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In zero gravity four arms and a nimble body could be evolutionary profitable.
If you are born in space, you can't walk the surface of Earth without some technical or medicinal miracle.

Valeska, this is not the "world end" thread. Dragons do not exist. I'm sorry.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tell that to Draco.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What are you talking about? For all practical purposes (trade, jobs, schooling) there are no borders in the EU. This has been the case since 1985.

I don't really see why you want to merge countries as happened in 1984 to prevent a 1984... Doing that on the basis of fear (oh noes the Russians/Asians are coming!) sounds already kinda 1984 ish to me.

As for evolutionary changes, as the population grows, we might not be able to house them on earth anymore. So we could slowly be populating our oceans and other planets. New branches of humankind will evolve, possibly helped by genetic engineering. We might have space nomads that spend, as their name implies, most of their time in space. In zero gravity four arms and a nimble body could be evolutionary profitable. Tails could be handy to maintain balance in such an environment. If you live in an ocean, it could be handy to to have enhanced lung capicity, or ultimatly to be able to breath underwater. High gravity planets will be housing bulky dwarfs.

To actually evolve 4 arms or tails, somebody would have to mate with someone who already has it.
Since our society tries to fix anything that isn't "normal" by surgery, evolution like that isn't possible.
We'll most likely stay the way we are, unless some traits are really essential for surviving,
which would require that a lot of people die so that only the ones with these traits reproduce.

@Avenger
If you're born in space it depends how long you stay there to determine whether or not you'll be able to live (or walk) on a normal planet.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Forget 1984. Forget whatever negative notions you have of what humanity will evolve into. Humanity will evolve into walking Gods.

We will advance well beyond what we're capable of imagining. Physically, we're at the point where we no longer need natures help. We will genetically engineer humans to have super strength. What can not be done through genetic engineering will be done through cybernetics. We will be able to leap tall buildings. Becoming sick will be a thing of the past thanks to nano-technology. We will be able to defeat any animal in a fight, but this ultimately won't need to happen through brute force, it will happen because of our mind.

Mind over matter they say. The average IQ will be ridiculously high. We will have amazing telekinetic abilities. We will be able to telepathically communicate. We will be able to see the future through deep meditation. The world is ours for the molding.

Technologically, free energy will be transmitted wirelessly to everyone on the plane. There will be extremely advanced AI capable of solving questions asked to it, similar to that from the short story "the last question". We'll have developed space travel and have populated other planets. And the planets we populate will be utter paradises, as we will mold it to fit our needs. We will have the ability to create species. Forget the laws of nature. They are ours for the breaking. We will be able to destroy matter, clone matter, travel faster than light, you name it.

We will be walking Gods. And then ultimately, many years after even this, we will have no need to be walking Gods. We will transcend, possibly combine all of our consciousnesses into one ultimate being, all of humanity thinking as one, acting as one, every human in the 'verse a separate, but ultimately united voice of reason and light.

A little optimistic, but I don't see why not. Look at how far we have advanced already after a mere few thousand years.

Best answers
To actually evolve 4 arms or tails, somebody would have to mate with someone who already has it.
Since our society tries to fix anything that isn't "normal" by surgery, evolution like that isn't possible.
We'll most likely stay the way we are, unless some traits are really essential for surviving,
which would require that a lot of people die so that only the ones with these traits reproduce.

@Avenger
If you're born in space it depends how long you stay there to determine whether or not you'll be able to live (or walk) on a normal planet.
I didn't mean growing an extra pair of hands. I meant that the task of supporting the upperbody while walking the legs currently have is quite useless in 0-gravity. An extra pair of hands would be evolutionary provitable. We've already evolved from 4 legged creatures to 2 armed and 2 legged creatures, I don't see why we couldn't evolve to 4 armed creatures.

As for the tail, we used to have tails and we still have a tail bone, so it should be possible to have tails again :p As for the surgical argument, who knows what's fashionable or abnormal for space nomads and what surgical possibilities and morals they will have.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the pregnant woman is in space for nine months, the child will not be capable of ever walking the surface of Earth without aid. Our bodies grow according to gravity. It has nothing to do with muscles, which can be built and rebuilt, it has to do with our skeletal development. Without the compression of our atmosphere on our spines and legs, we will not be capable of walking on the Earth.

Not to say that we won't be able to create artificial gravity.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't mean growing an extra pair of hands. I meant that the task of supporting the upperbody while walking the legs currently have is quite useless in 0-gravity. An extra pair of hands would be evolutionary provitable. We've already evolved from 4 legged creatures to 2 armed and 2 legged creatures, I don't see why we couldn't evolve to 4 armed creatures.

As for the tail, we used to have tails and we still have a tail bone, so it should be possible to have tails again :p As for the surgical argument, who knows what's fashionable or abnormal for space nomads and what surgical possibilities and morals they will have.
What I meant that our evolution was forced by selection. I just think that it isn't really possible as long as it's not
an advantage that's needed for survival.
We evolved into upright creatures because it was an advantage.
Members who would walk on 2 legs would have better chances of survival and would reproduce more.

So to make your ideas happen we'd need to only **** people with really skilled feet and big coccyx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom