How to make halflife mod

Best answers
Any of you know a program that i can use to make a half life mod. Me and my frient were just watching we are the mods off od 24seven gamer and just decided to make our own any one out there willing to give us a hand or any ideas on how 2 strt? :]

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There isn't "a program", there are many programs. The Half-Life engine is just that, an engine, and you'll be working in many different areas to have it run a mod of your creation.

The main things you need to be able to do (this is why mods are usually created in teams) are:
  • Code - you need to be a proficient C++ programmer with a decent grasp of Object-Oriented Programming. Half-Life was written in C++ using Microsoft Visual C++ 5, with heavy use of OOP.
  • Model - you'll need some kinds of models, be it player models, first-person weapon models, world models, map models, etc.
  • Map - you'll want some kind of maps for your mod, I'd assume.
  • 2D art - sprites, map textures, model skins, anything else of that nature.
  • Anything else you could imagine should be on a team - this could include Public Relations, Management, Beta Testers, etc. Whatever you think you might need.

Creating a game is a huge undertaking, I'd recommend you spend much time looking into the game design process as a whole. You can find an abundance of resources on the subject with a simple Google search. Most importantly, draw up a design document. It doesn't even look like you have an idea, yet. There's no way you're going to get anywhere if you don't know where you're going beforehand. This is all the more crucial in a team-based environment.

Best answers
I wouldnt even bother making a half-life mod, why do you think that the esf team has a, uhh, well... Team? If you are serious about this then you would probably need a team that is somewhat dedicated to making this mod of yours. In my opinion, making a mod is at least 40 times worse than trying to build your own laptop, or something seemingly almost impossible like that. But if you do want to go through with this then be prepared and very very patient on making the models, maps, sprites, ect... your self. It is a pretty big undertaking if your doing it all alone, so just be prepared and knowing what your supposed to do helps out alot too.

Best answers
w'ee i do have a team ,,,... at least a group of friends
I do have some previous experience with modeling and Visual Basic however the mapping hasn't quite gotten to me yet I haven't even figured out how to start a new project with valve hammer... it asks for a bunch of adjustments... and im just... u get the idea

Best answers
well i hope u best of luck i think u should buy a book on how to code and wut the best method is i had a book but i forgot where i put it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am not liking this thread at all. I personally beleive it to be close to breaching the AUP, and if you attempt to recruit and/or advertise it will, and an Off Topic mod will need to Close it.

Also I beleive this to also be better in another section of the forum all together. Of course, I don't have Jurisdiction for that either. If an Off Topic mod would please handle this as you see fit, please do.

Best answers
well first of all nothing is being advertised.. as a matter of a fact we are not even certian on what this mod will be about so if you would stop assuming that I would do something that would be against the rules.

Are there any uts online on how to get strated?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not remembering any, but i apologize if I came accross harsh, I just wanted certain things to be clear if they were not already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom