How to get HLDS runnig well on your Windows machine....or die trying

Best answers
For those too lazy to browse through some sites and of course,like to frequent these boards.And I never see a topic on how to create a server on a Windows machine

To run one you will need :

- A good connection (Cable,T1,T3,whatever that is fast,and I mean fast)
- A decent amount of RAM (256 or higher recommended)
- Some HDD space (You'll need it if you want AdminMod or AMX,or whatever....)
- A decent processor (P3 or higher,or at least 1.2 gHz)
- A stable version of HLDS (Never bothered to check it out once in a while,so dont complain)
- Windows X(98,NT4,2000,name it,but please not 95 or3.x!)
- A brain (Why not make one without yours?)

Now to set one up....it's rather simple but it is a painstaking process to get one server that doesn't lag,so of course what do we do??

First we locate hlds.exe,and we do that by finding our base HL/CS directory,or if you're the lazy type,go to Find files... > hlds

After you've found it,now what?

Right-click on HLDS.exe and create a shortcut

and now you have the shortcut,but it IS required to do really useful cmds.

Right-click on you HLDS shortcut and edit the 'Target' flag

Now....for the lowdown on what does what :)

-game esf

Pretty much tells what game youre running,but it has to be EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE FOLDER NAME

-port 270XX

Where XX is what you want,but I believe it ranges from 27010 to 27020.Somebody clarify this for me please :)

NOTE : This is usually not required but it is useful if you want to play in it :) But be forewarned,there are some problems when you do join.See the Troubleshooting section in the later part of this post

+maxplayers X

Set the max no. of players,its best to leave it at 8 for ESF

+map X

Sets the map it starts on,like esf_city.

+log on

Errr....turns on logging....useful for tracking messages of people like Devil and n00bs :D

Now to edit it,so that you want it to play ESF with 8 players,on esf_namek and has logging on,so it would read....

C: \Sierra\Counter-Strike\hlds.exe -game esf +maxplayers 8 +map esf_namek +log on

Now we got the magic of running a server,but it wont last forever,as of course your PC takes the toll :)

And the cool thing is that it runs exactly like the console!Type 'status' and what happens??

You see the list of players in there!

So of course if you start seeing panic messages about a h4x0r,you can just check the status list and if you do see Devil,you can do the kick ban thing :) And it now won't matter if he has the ` or ~ in his name anymore,cool ainit??

---===TROUBLESHOOTING===---

Q : It isn't runnig ESF,it's running HLDM/CS!!
A : Make sure you have the shortcut have the commandline -game esf set,or it will run on its default game.

Q : I've set up a server to be able to let me play in it.But when I eneter,there's looooottsssshhhhrrr offfrrr laaarrrggg!!!
A : One simple answer,dont do this.If you don't realize,HLDS will eat up your PC like there's no tomorrow.You'd be better off with a listen server instead

Why? Because it uses most of the resources on your PC to do all the sprite-rendering,model rendering and the likes

Q : How do I set gamemodes?
A : Sadly,I do not know either,you'll (sadly) have to bother Mr. Satan or |PT| Mars about it,I'm just a veteran.

Q : How can I kick Devil out of my server??He's in my server!!
A : Simple,just simply go type kick Devil or whatever his name is,it should work

And of course for banning him

banid <WONId>

Added : And if he does have spaces in his name,lets say....Undefeated of the East,you would surround his name in quotes.

kick "Undefeated of the East"

Complaint : Your explanations suck!!
A : Exactly,Im no expert at it,so visit this site :)

Ouch,my hands hurt typing for 30 minutes,mods and admins,lend me your ears,feel free to close this if it is under threat of being spammed or becoming a flame thread :) Then I'll be happy

EDIT : Fixed a few errors,and a way of kicking people who have spaces in their names,I forgot about that o_o

Best answers
that is pretty good :)

To add I think running hlsw helps for people who prefer a gui interface over the console and dont know many console commands very well. You would still have to the above to start the server but hlsw helps to see who is on, kick people, ban people, record logs, send messages,etc. with the click of a mouse.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How do you make it 24/7?

Best answers
don't turn off your comp. o_O
i don't remember who posted this first but serverdoc restarts your server when it crashes so you can be sure it runs 24/7 ^^

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I mean what if I have to go and turn off my computer, Will it be still running?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ummm, thats a silly question, of course not, when the comp goes of so does the server.

Best answers
heh,fixed a few errors,and added the way to kick players who have spaces in their names....

anything you think I should add,other than gamemodes of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom