How to forward your ports for ESF?

Best answers
Anyone know how to forward your ports if you have a router? People cant join my server.

Im running Windows XP.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you know how to get to your router Menu? If not then open IE and in the adress bar type int 192.168.1.1

That should take you to it. Go to you're advanced settings, then go to forwarding ( I don't know how your layout is going to look like, but you'll eventually find it)

Then when you're there you should get a bunch of textbars that should be named in order. Name it ESF under the customized applications textbar, then under Ext. Port there should be two textbars, in the first type 27015, and in the second type 27016. Check (meaning check the checkboxes) both protocol TCP and protocol UDP. Then under IP address, list your own IP adress (Should be like 192.168.1."your number here"), check the enable box and you should be all set. If you need mroe help, contact me on AIM - Phatslugga1000

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phatslugga ... this only works with router with IP 192.168.1.1 ... I would suggest in this:
Win2k/ XP: Start --> Run --> cmd --> ipconfig --> write down your IP + the gatewayIP
Win95/ 98: Start --> Run --> WinIPcfp --> write down your IP + the gatewayIP

open any IE ... address = http://[insert GatewayIP here]/
then the router should ask for user and password ... if noone has changed them, it's default
User: admin
Pass: **** ... joke ;) ... 1234

then (as said) goto "advanced options" and (I know it as) "ports"
in the table I would suggested to type in "ports" from "27005" (default client port) to "27015" (default server port (changable)) to your (PCs) IP
then apply and look what/ if the router answered

add: I've never seen a router which seperates UDP from TCP ... HL uses only IP (and IPX) ... so only TCP would be needed ... but if there're such option, I recommend to check both (as Phatslugga said)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nretep said:
Phatslugga ... this only works with router with IP 192.168.1.1 ..
Yes, 192.168.1.1 is an inside IP, I'm pretty sure that everyone has that IP for their router. Not really sure, but I've never encountered someone with a different inside IP.

Best answers
I got a different inside IP. If that really means anything I don't know.......

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phat, I beleive that's the common one because it's default, but their is a range of internal IPs that can be used besides that one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, well that explains it, I don't have much experience with most routers, I just know how to work mine :).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
In fact, opening a UDP port and not using it opens you to hackers.
UDP used by hackers ??? I'm not sure about UDP ... I just know that it's used by TFTPs (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) ... it's advantage is speed ... but just because there's no checking if it's transfered correctly/ completely ... it's a one-way connection ... I can't imagine that this is a good way to hack ... but I think you wouldn't have said this, if you wouldn't know it

that's the reason I explained it globally ... howto get the routers IP ...
the only thing is ... I can't help this guy if his Router has no webinterface :(

it would be nice, if you answer, darknavigator ... if it worked, or not or whatever ... thx

btw: my routers IP is 192.168.0.1 for Ethernet ... and 2blah.blah.blah.1 for WLAN ... my WLAN card is using 192.168.0.13 and I still can connect ... that's not logically, and logically in another way ;)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I don't know the exact method, Nretep, I do know the theory. I know that it can be used to initiate an attack and open other ports with other protocols. I seem to remember something about hacked headers and buffer overflows, but it's been a while since I read that book.

Best answers
Nretep said:
open any IE ... address = http://[insert GatewayIP here]/
then the router should ask for user and password ... if noone has changed them, it's default
User: admin
Pass: **** ... joke ... 1234
But...what if the admin user isnt admin and pass isnt 1234? It didnt work for me for some reason...

P.S. And mods plz dont say i revived a dead post i just need help is all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm pretty sure it's fine to revive a dead thread if you honestly are interested in the topic or need help. The password should have been given to you by your ISP. Usually the default is something easy like "letmein" or "changeme". If you really don't know it, I suggest you contact your ISP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom