How long would u say...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am very interested in 3D modeling, ive read thru *some* tutorials, yet, they all seem to complex and confusing. How long would you say you would need to "keep-at-it" before you got the hang of modeling, I dont know what to do at all. I have a Trial ver. of Milkshape and i just play around and dont get anywhere, its too frusterating. LOL, i am l337 nub.

----
How long have some of you been modeling, and how long did it take for you to become good at it?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i wouldnt considder myself good, but i guess it depends how much you practice and how much effort you want to put into it...

Best answers
am now in my second year of modeling, it took me about 3-4months before i understood how 3d modeling works, but i never read any tuts maybe once or twice but thats it.

it takes time to get good at it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ms3d you can be doing quick and hl1 based models in about 2 months average as long as you try. on a more complex modeling program, 3dsmax for example, give it a good year and up to work your way around bipeds and a whole new interface.

Best answers
Its not a weekend type deal. It will take you awhile to pick up the tools and interface of the program fully, and all its features. Then learning basic design will take you quiet awhile. And it will take even longer to learn proper face structure, flow, proportions, etc. Its a real commitment to get "good". I dont considermyself good, is till have problems with perfect face structure (no one here has "perfect" face structure, it takes a long time to achieve, along with perfect flow"

Editing skins and editing models is sumthing you can do as a fun hobby, or learning basic low poly work. But for the real real good stuff (i.e., see cgtalk) it takes a long, long time and deep commitment.

Best answers
I've been modelling for almost exactly one year, and I'm still not very good at it, but for starters, you have to get a general idea of what makes a half life model first.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why a half life model guys?? just out of curiosity....

Best answers
Probably cuz half life models are primitive and simple ;p

I don't like workin with trys tho. I much perfer Quads.

Best answers
Ive been modeling and skinning from july, everyone has there own pace at doing stuff and depends how interested u are on the subject. Imo u get better by modeling a range of things as u pick up different techniques each time. If u wanna try skinning, well al that is, is trial and error.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm... its my 3rd year of modeling... but at the begining i dont known anything of ms3d.. so i leaved it.. after 7 months i where going back to ms3d... and i learned it fast... about 1/2 weeks? maybe abit more ^^"

But Im not even a good modler... because i dont done many things... I only shown 2 models.. but i done 5 for real -.-" ..... It´s just a question of time and that if you really want to do models and learn it...

(my english sucks right? Im sorry... -.-")

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have been modeling for 4 Months with 3dsm You can check out the tutorial I made to see how good my 1st model was. Ya it was my 1st... its ok I guess for a 1st.

But I modeled a big range of other stuff just to work with the other kinds of tools and to each time put me into a different situation.

I am not good yet. But I plan on being.

And btw do modeling for fun. I do it cuz i wanna create what I have in my mind. Its really awsome to be creative and 3d is just the best way :)

Just model a lil now and then and in no time you will become good.

I am guessing around 5 months then you will be used to it if you really try hard. I am almost used to it just gotta model some more...characters.

Best answers
im modelling now for almost 2 years with 3D Studio Max (started with version 4 and ATM I'm using version 6 and 7). I didnt used any turtorials, just played around a bit and learned some basics, and even on this day i learn some new tricks. I've tryed ms3d too and gees, 3dsmax is even easyer for me :p (sounds weird, but true).
To learn the basics of modelling, you need to try some serious modelling and try it everyday again till u know it. for me it took 3 days for the basics ;), but even now sometimes I learn new tricks ;) (modellingworld is pretty big)

Best answers
Modeling...

I Had readed The tuts then i tryed to model with milkshape 3d i wasnt doing great (even i s*cked) so i stopped then i did same :) still bad then i tryed to skin but i was doing bad but i didnt wanted to drop it cauz i dropped much thinks so i keepd learning and i got it :) = skinner :) then i tryed again to model it did took me for a 1month (testing) 2models done --> 1. a guy with legs on his head 2. my ak :)
im making colt now more info www.shadow-terror.tk All i want to say is dont drop modeling guys --> take ya time to practice at a dumb guy like i made with legs on his head :p that its...

Best answers
I was interested all of last year into this topic...
I looked around and took a good close look on about
every model that was ever released!

then I started with tuts, useless...
after a while of playing with it, about a month or so (most probably less)
I got the hang of it
then I tried to model with those stupid ref pix behind, it looked to me very stupid

nowadays I model just for fun and for showoffing with friends
and I dont use specific refs, I just look at movies a few times till I can imagine to myself in my head how it would look in 3D
a few monthes of training will do the job, unless u have no talent in 3D sight as they call it
its ok, no1 is perfect, its like ppl with difficulties in math or language
for example in math there is an area that requires 3D sight, not many can understand it
and see it how it should look in 3D

I hope u wont get offended and will get my point

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, im a geometry guy, i like it, i also draw all the time, im one of those ppl who can see 3D in my head, but I just get overwhelmed with the tutorials and when ppl try to explain to me it is even worse. Ehh, like you said, some things just aren't for some people. But I will give it a shot, maybe just for fun, maybe make something of it... who knows, sounds like tedious, persistent work to me...

It is just discouraging when 13 year olds are modeling the nicest models and askin for crits and i stare in awe... its crazy. Like, i dont even understand the lingo most of the time, like... "polycount, renders, how to download skins to ur model"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom