How do you cel-shade in 3dsm?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really wanna know, i was searching on google and i found nothing. Please help me, i know you can do it but i dont know how.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
would be handy to know...it has to do with the lighting and how it renders the shadows, thats about all i know....sorry :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i cell-shade in 1.6
Lemme see if i can tell you from memory..

Press the "m" key to bring up the Material Window.
Click an empty material slot
Where you see "Standard" click it
A menu appears, Double-click on "Ink N' Paint"
The ball should turn a blue-ish color.

Now to add your material to it,
Next to a blue box it should have a button labled "none" click it
After that, another menu appears. Choose "Bitmap"
Look for your image and load it.
Wala you have just imported a toon/cell shaded material =D

There's other options you might wanna play around with to give it more of a cartoonish look. Have fun.

Best answers
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Cell Shading, cutesy of Neosaiyajin.

CeLL Shading in Milkshape Tutorial By Neosaiyajin -Credits to nuttzy for reminding me how to do it correctly.
*NOTE* go into Paint or any other Image editing Programs and make a 512 x 512 Image with a black background.

First Open Milkshape.
Load The model you want to Cell Shade.
Then go to the Selection Tab Go Down in the menu find where it says "select By" Choose Faces.

Select all of the Model.

Then Plus Ctrl+D. Then go to the tools bar on top Choose fatboy. Where it says Scale Put in .1 - .3 Then click Ok.

Select the Duplicate and here where the black texture comes in.

Make sure the Duplication of ur model is still selected. Now go to matierials tab and Find new under it then click that. Now go to where it says none and click it (the bigger bar) Now select ur black texture thru the menus. Once opened Click assign. Now Go to Faces and Then Reverse vertex order. Then go to the render viewport and right click Then Where it says Draw backfaces click that. Now go to the render viewport And right click then click textured for a surprise.

Made this tut Cuz people have been asking how to do this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

read stickys :)

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Warbandit, get ur info right. He asked for a tutorial for 3dsm, and what u posted is for MS3D. plus, thats outlining, not cel-shading

"read stickys :)"

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
notice he said 3dsm not milkshape, and anyways that tut only tells you how to add a outline to your model, that is not cellshading in any degree,

the closest you can get to cellshading in milkshape is duplicating the model, making a spheremapped and alphamapped texture to it, and ;lowering its opacity, (it works if you do it right)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks everyone, especially iceman [i love iceman:D]. That really helped me alot, i even learned how to assign materials to stuff, thanks m8:D. One more question, how do you make select and move vertexes and stuff? and how do you make faces? too many buttons, bah but i love 3dsm renders so be expecting my first 3dsm model soon:D. i just nned to know how to do that basic stuff, its all new for me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
highlight ur model "select" and right click in one of the views. Go to convert>convert to edit mesh. It should send you to the modifiers tab. "the tab with a "blue rainbow" on it." there you can select whether to select its verticies, or faces.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nooooooooooooo edit mesh= baaad and way too complicated for newbies. (i know ur not, but ur new to max)
use edit poly instead of mesh, to create verticies either open the dropdown (where it says +editable poly) and select vertex, or right click the model and click vertex, or click the lil button with 3 dots, right click-create. to create a face, select polygon the same way as selecting verticies, right click-create.

good luck

i reccomend going to www.poopinmymouth.com and using his begginner tutorial, it teaches you how to use max, rather than how to model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom