How do Nameks eat?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I was bored today and started thinking about DBZ, more specifically Nameks. I remembered how they only drink water and have no need to consume food. Then I put two and two together, their green skin + the lack of food consumption.

Then it hit me. Nameks perform photosynthesis. Just like plants that require to get water from the earth, they consume water, but they produce their own food with photosynthesis.

.....I must be really bored today.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then it hit me. Nameks perform photosynthesis. Just like plants that require to get water from the earth, they consume water, but they produce their own food with photosynthesis.
I can't find a reason to disagree with this statement. However, Nameks aren't plants.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Neither are Protoss, but they possess the same trait :p

Protoss are bereft of mouths, noses, or visible ears. Protoss are photosynthetic, capable of living off of moonlight (merely reflected sunlight),and can go without light for extended periods of time.They drink water, which is absorbed through their skin.
Now that suprises me more than Nameks.

Nevertheless, even though they aren't plants, perhaps their chlorophile is more potent, or they simply have more of it than plants do, enabling them to create more amounts of energy than plants.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well since Nameks have a physical form and traits of a simple human, they are different from the Protoss.
Although, Nameks aren't mammals either because they don't have hair, if anything I would call them reptile like organisms, just because they are green.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yeah, but reptiles actually eat stuff, plants or otherwise. These guys just drink water.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a world where people can fly around and shoot giant beams out of their hands and lazers out of their eyes. Are we really going to debate the scientific reasons for what nameks eat?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a world where people can fly around and shoot giant beams out of their hands and lazers out of their eyes. Are we really going to debate the scientific reasons for what nameks eat?
If I had something better to do right now, which I obviously do not, I wouldn't be posting here. Also, that statement pretty much sums up the main answer to all questions that pertain to DBZ. You can't compare an anime to reality.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's just for fun, it's sometimes entertaining to think about "how the author actually made that and that work".

That and every anime has at least some reality attached to it. That's why people in DBZ actually fall down, if it was complete fantasy gravity wouldn't exist. Who's to say other scientific laws don't apply?

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
if you wouldn't have to eat, you would not develop teeth or loose them over time.
But you know what, its pure fiction. In DBZ there are animals acting like people and all sorts of stupid things. Its fiction meant to entertain not to be designed according to the laws of nature :p

How do Namkes eat? They just dont. Its not needed in DBZ

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I miss threads like these (especially since I was the one that usually created them if I recall correctly).

Actually, in Dragon Ball we saw Piccolo eating fish from time to time. Of course Piccolo, Kami and King Piccolo weren't Nameks at the time. It wasn't until Dragon Ball Z that we find out that all three of the previously mention characters were Nameks. But an interesting thing worth noting is that on Planet Namek, we saw numerous villages with crops.

If anything, I'd say they need to eat while they grow until they fully mature. Or they do need to eat, just very little.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought they didn't eat... only drank water.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I miss threads like these (especially since I was the one that usually created them if I recall correctly).

Actually, in Dragon Ball we saw Piccolo eating fish from time to time. Of course Piccolo, Kami and King Piccolo weren't Nameks at the time. It wasn't until Dragon Ball Z that we find out that all three of the previously mention characters were Nameks. But an interesting thing worth noting is that on Planet Namek, we saw numerous villages with crops.

If anything, I'd say they need to eat while they grow until they fully mature. Or they do need to eat, just very little.
You might be right. Some species had, or still have this trait. I remember learning it in Biology 3 years ago or so, very old, amoebic organisms that had both chlorophile and were heterotrophic at the same time. So they used to means of nourishment: autotrophia and heterotrophia.

Maybe Nameks are the same way, meaning what you said, they have to eat until they develop enough for photosynthesis to completely take over.

Another interesting theory I devised is that they store the left-over energy they get from photosynthesis in their pink parts of the body, sort of like humans do it with fat.

Lord of Chaos
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
But doesn't Piccolo have dinner at Goku's place on more than one occasion during the series?

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyans eat enough so that Nameks don't have to :)

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a matter of simple physics, matter cannot be created, so there is only a certain amount of food available in the universe. On one hand we have the Nameks, who are known for not consuming food and only injesting small quantities of water. On the other hand we have Saiyans, who are infamous for consuming vast amounts of food and beverage despite their physical size. When you compare these two opposite ends of the spectrum, you form a balance that you might want to call yin and yang. Therefore one could say that the saiyans eat enough so that the nameks don't have to, or that the excessive quantity of food based products injested by the saiyans is enough to stop the nameks from having any food to eat, thus returning to the law that matter cannot be created. Perhaps this lack of available food sources is what triggered the evolutionary path of the Namekian race.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing outrageous theories about why Nameks don't eat.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Nameks eats. Piccolo ate a Senzu bean.
The point is that while Nameks can eat, they do not need to eat because their produce enough on their own. He ate a sensu bean just because he needed to regenerate fast.

But doesn't Piccolo have dinner at Goku's place on more than one occasion during the series?
Yeah, but I don't think there were any scenes of him actually eating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom