Holy ****! HDR lighting vs. Unreal engine 3!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HDR is the ****, no doubt about it. I just can't wait till Lost Coast finally comes out, then we can bask in hl2's stupendous HDR glory.

Best answers
i don't get it.... which part is real? which is fake?
they look like they're wearing costumes... unless EVERYTHING is made of computer? even the background??

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The backrounds are actual pictures the guy took (I think, there real anyways), and the models are from the game, with crazy HDR lighting applied to them

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've pre-rendered these but the technology can actually be used in real-time using a program such as Rthdribl. You should ask the program's developer a bit of input.
So don't expect those moving smoothly just yet, I wonder how the frame rate drop would be,

But it does look awesome, very realistic, when I saw that (crab?) I thought it was a real one! :p

**edit**
I just took the models from the game. Of course, I smoothened the hell out of them so that's why they look a little different...
Now I'm disapointed.... he just turned up the polygones like hell and so they look awesome, I'm sure HL2 will look great with this HDR lightning, but if they go change the quality of the models there, then I want to play first before I believe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well HL2 will never look as good as he made those pictures look. It takes him 5-10 minutes just to render those pictures, and there is no way hl2 is gonna be looking like that in real time.

But HDR will still look pretty damn good when it is implemented into the game, just not as good as that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this was already posted in off topic a while back >_>

and unreal's lighting engine is much better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the point is, they ALREADY have better graphics :p and unreal 3 isnt gonna be too far away. seeing as ut2k6 has already been announced for early next year ;)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry, but unreals lighting system looks... hideously fake in comparison, for a start i cant see any radiosity, just coloured light on the model. May look "cool" but it doesnt look real, the shadows cast, and highlights are all incredibly unrealistic. Hl2 though is pretty spot on, although everything looks as its been wrapped in cling film.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My goodness, just look at that last pic...

I wouldn't want to stand there where the pic is taken :p

Yeah it allready has better graphics, the only problem is noone can play it yet.

They said this engine was going to use the PPU, but not sure (Physics Processing Unit).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think your right, not sure though....

dave you should watch the unreal demo video, trust me the lighting is awsome hehe. the lighting for the unreal 3 game, your right, does look kinda fake... but i think thats what they were going for... in the unreal tournament 2007 screenshots, the lighting is different, and really, really impresses me :D for some reason the game is being released next year, being called 2007, was formerly codenamed UT: Codename Envy.... weirdness.

<<< WTF IS THAT GUN?!?!?!?!?!

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
=0 those screens are much better im in love with the last one, much more realistic, but i still feel there's an element of realism missing (i think its gotta be the radiosity). Hl2 lighting has that added realism, but i think all the models look like they're made out of plastic >_>.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMFG! Some guy brought in that pic of D.O.G in the street into school yesterday and said "Yeah, someone built a scale model of D.O.G" and I believed him, then I come here and see the same pic :O Pwned.

Then again, if he said that it was a pic of HL2 with HDR i'd have probably believed that too, some of those pics are sweet as.

Best answers
Just saw these today. They really do look amazing, and I'd definitely say they look better than Unreal 3 engine. But that's probably just as much to do with it being a render as it is to do with HDR. I read some of the thread, and I think he said that the lighting was using ray tracing. Ray tracing if I remember correctly is a process that calculates paths of light and their reflections from every surface to get very accurate looking light. I can't find it at the moment, but there was a website that had got real time ray tracing on a basic level working in Quake 3 Arena, but to do it they had around 20 PC's linked to get it running. So realistically, it's hardly fair to compare it to UE3 that's designed to run on the next generation of consoles and PC's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
damn, i wish i had a computer that would support all taht. well, i like the unreal engine a bit more. the hdr is mighty impressive, but the unreal seems to be more gameish

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
id rather have things that look gameish... if i wanted to go shooting people and have it look real. id not have left the marines. but i dont, i like keeping it firmly in a computer game. where i know that im not gonna kill someone.

unreal does that for me :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game is called "Unreal" not "Real."

Besides, I think it looks BETTER than real, if you ask me.

Regardless, let me clarify here, since people don't all seem to know:

THE PICTURES IN THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD ARE ONLY MODEL RENDERS ON BACKGROUNDS OF REAL PHOTOS, WHERE THE MODELS WERE GIVEN HDR LIGHTING TO SHOW THAT THEY COULD LOOK 'REAL':

That being said...here's the difference maker right here:

MODEL RENDER ON REAL LIFE BACKGROUND:

INGAME/INENGINE SCREENSHOT OF UT07

Renders are nice but I like the idea of being able to play in a graphically superior world as opposed to what HL2 will do, which if you ask me, is choke the game even worse than before and just look strange against it's non-64bit textures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom