Holy ****! HDR lighting vs. Unreal engine 3!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah if you read through the forum the guy explains the process, the models are smoothed and bump mapped then given the HDR lighting makeover with the light point in the same position as the photograph, then the models are either photoshopped or layered in over the photo.

Gir said:
Is it me or do the face skins looks really bad and unaffected by the HDR lighting, even though the armour is?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the faces arent skinned :p

and unreal doesnt use HDR lighting, thats valves name, just like VGUI....

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy. Crap.

If you wouldn't have said otherwise, I'd have thought someone made real-life figurines of the strider and combine soldiers. That's just freaking awesome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, I was showing those on IRC a little while before the thread. Looks nice.

Yeah it allready has better graphics, the only problem is noone can play it yet.
Yes they can. Anyone with a 6600 can play it.

Best answers
The faces in that UT2k7 screen look fine to me. There's the heavier blue lighting on the right side of his face, and a subtle light on the left side of his face. It just seems to me that they've gotten rid of the plastic look that many people have complained about in games like Doom 3 and Chronicles of Rid****.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just hope to god I actually have something that can run Unreal 3 when it comes out. I don't wanna have to experiance low-end suck gfx on it like I have to with HL2.

Good thing I have a long time to save up money.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
x850 xt radeon will probably be able to run it fine.....yet im stuck with this 9800 xt >.<

Retired
Best answers
you're stuck with a 9800 xt? stop whining ;)

I got a sucky pc, that's why i'm basically only going for consoles.

but that does look very sweet. the one with the 2 mills looks very realistic.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
whining, yeah im whining, highest quality on HL2 (everything on HIGH, 6x AA, 16x AF, no vsync(dont know what the hell vsync is)) and i get a fps of 23....i want to have like....40-60 :eek:

i wonder what this will look like on something like the ps3, the graphics of the ps3 are really good (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/index.html) they match these days top games such as half life 2 and doom III

Mad_AxMan said:
l[/url]
and the 2,000,000 triangle detailed mesh:
and how do they create something like this, i cant imagine them making 2 million polies, poly by poly models, it would take years :eek:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
jeeze, running it on my old machine, using the 9800 pro, i get better FPS than you, and i have my AA and AF on full :p thats not just the software, i have my hardware maxed out too hehe

i think your compensating the rest of your system with your graphics card. you need a fine harmony of the two :)

Best answers
tek showed some of these on msn 2 me b4 n he said they use some digital scultoring prog called zBrush

anway i would hav to say the unreal engine looks way better

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
many people are like HDR wow awesome cool blabla..

but most of em dont even really know what it is, so heres a little explaination:

upto now, colors have been measured in 3 numbers.. each number represents a color, red, green or blue, the number can go from 0(means this color is not included) to 255(means this color is included at its max)

so 0, 0, 0 would be black, and 255, 255, 255 would be pure white.

most of us know that much, but the thing is, in real life, light is infinite, it doesnt end at a maximum number like 255, so what HDR(high dynamic range) does, is the following:
it measures the amount of lighting in a number from 0 to infinite, but usually, 0 would be black, and 1 would be the full color IF the variable brightness shader isnt used(ill get back to this later)
numbers like 0,4843902309 are possible in this case, the problem is, the monitors we use are still based on the RGB system, so the colors will have to be translated back to the old RGB system, rendering the whole HDR thing useless.

thats where shaders come in, for example, the muchly used Bloom shader, it lets areas that lit up higher than HDR value 1 give a nice glow (see the unreal tournament pictures for that)

another thing that cant be missed to get profit out of HDR is the variable brightness shader. if your screen is filled with pure white, the brightness will keep going down until the level of brightness is normal again, this is handy for indoor/outdoor areas, because outdoor areas are usually much brighter than indoor, its just that our eyes get used to it rather rapidly.

hope i cleared up stuffs, youll notice that if you download HDR files (images but saved with HDR values) and get a HDR program to open it, the colors wont be like [120, 220,100] but prolly like [0,389-0,378-0,978]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom