HL2 Preload Has Begun

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Logon Steam and behold.
HL2, Coming to a My Games list near you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
YAY! And for those who are too lazy, or dont have steam:

Best answers
Wooohooooo........

of course this isn't the full game since it hasn't gone gold yet, but its still something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, pretty crazy huh?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I haven't been able to start yet either. Everyone I've talked to who got to said the servers are so bogged down it isn't funny, downloads are incredibly slow. I'm guessing that's why they started the preload (probably) quite a bit before they actually release HL2.
I hadn't even heard its gone gold yet, has it now? o_O

EDIT: Mine started! (Hurray for NS skins) D:

Best answers
Guess I'll be waiting for a while. They allowing people to pre load, even those who haven't bought it yet?

EDIT, just saw the picture. I think it's a mistake to allow pre loading... HL2 is already going to be one of the most pirated games ever... pre loading it gives you everything except a crack.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. The point of preload is so that if want to buy it later you wont have to sit there and download it at that time. It might be cynical to think this way but I predict that this will lead to another valve screw-up where they have easily accessible files that cause something to go wrong or be exploited/spoiled.

Best answers
No it's definatly not cynical at all. Considering how amature Valve has been in terms of handling software, it wouldn't be suprising at all. CS Source was easily cracked and made available to pirates that don't have CSZ and are not in the beta test. I could definatly see the same thing happening to HL-2.

Best answers
question, u think if i buy it through steam i can transfer it to another comp? or is that the downside of this?

edit @ Raiko: awesome

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, HL2 and the rest of the gamse on steam are stored on a server, and if you buy an original HL game and enter the key, you will always be able to get CS and so on. Its all registered in your user name. So if you have entered a valid CD key in you user name for HL you will be able to get CS and all the other games anytime cause you have already entered the CD key, it downloads it for you. So i think it will be the same for HL2.

So i guess the answer to your questionis, yes. If you bought it through steam, with your current steam user name, you can install steam on another computer, and enter your username, which tells steam that you have already bought these games, so it will download em for you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I finally got a spot last night, only took an hour and a half. I was sleeping anyway, but preloading is pretty much usless untill the actual "buying" part happens. " a locked copy of HL2 is now on your computer".....shouldnt be too hard to find. :devgrin:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man. Valve Software is like a great big special bus full of re-re's.

I'm sure the game will be good but man is that company pathetic when it comes to PR. Not for nothing, but that little stunt with ebay the other week was really dumb...it's like, "HEY GABE, MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T SO BUSY ****ING AROUND ON EBAY YOU MIGHT HAVE HAD SOME TIME TO HIRE A COMPETENT IT SECURITY GUY!"

To Tass and Sonic: I don't think it's a cynical point at all, really. The only game worth mentioning in their catalog is also the most pirated game on earth (second only to Starcraft, the most pirated game in the universe). This is all the big downside of the mod communities; people expect something for free and then don't want to buy the game.

However, if Valver was smart--which Jesus knows they aren't--they would have left out some vital files for the game. That way you buy the game, it throws that last like 3k file in there and then it works, and without it, say...the engine doesn't render.

Of course some moron will leak that file while Gabe Newell is too busy cracking up the office with flashlight jokes. I bet that's what it all was, too--one of the guys over there is a robot built by John Carmack designed to sabotage everything. lol

I really hope they don't leak anymore. But giving people the file early is really the only wasy they can do it--their ****ty steam server infrastructure already can't handle the mods alone...nevermind the millions who want HL2.

Best answers
I agree with every word you just said Pride. Its so true, it almost brings a tear to my eye.

Personally I'm actually going to get off my ass, work the 10 extra hours, and go buy the game. Even if I can get it pirated, I still want my own, legit copy. Most games I don't even bother taking past the demo stage, but this is Half-Life. No matter how terrible Valve is, I don't think they could have screwed the actual game itself up. If they did, then its the end of Valve.

I figure my 4 year old comp can run it anyway. I can run Doom 3, so HL2 should be even better since its requirements are lower I believe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, I never said the game would be bad. Just the corporate entity behind it. Honestly, I don't think it's very professional to take jabs at the competition while your company is in the ****ter regarding security and scheduling.

And we STILL have no idea if they've fixed the stupid nvidia pipeline issues or not. Has Gabe issued any .plans regarding the status of the game?

And yeah, Doom needed raw horsepower to run high. HL2's only real intense effect is the physics, which are probably more processor dependant instead of Doom's vidram dependant textures and bump mapping.

Anybody got any screenshots of HL2? I haven't seen it in almost a year.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i ripped open the HL2 .gcf file and found a ****load of more compressed files, dont look like anything useful, but it will all be cracked soon, valve is so stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom