HL1 Mods are going to Die soon. - Read this, do you disagree?

Best answers
Just my Theory.

When Half-Life 2 is released, HL1 and mods online play will slowly start to dissapear untill its completley dead or 1 or 2 servers left. Well, accept for Counter-Strike and maybe DOD. That is, untill CS-Source is released. I, for one, am going to be finished with hl1 and all of it's mods - unless they port to hl2, which they would be dumb if they did not. - Simply because the hl1 engine just doesn't cut it.

Prove me wrong.

Best answers
It's obvious. People want things to be better and better, when a new version of something is released, people want it. When a new Half-Life patch is released, people never stay behind accept for the odd person. They all move on. Just like people will move on to hl2. Within the next half a year, - if hl2 is released on schedule - hl1 will be nothing but a waste of hard drive space.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
any 1 who hasnt seen any hl2 trailers or hasnt played the beta will disagree i bet and millions of plp already pre buyed hl2 just waiting for the day of release

Best answers
I highly doubt. The Half-life 1 engine doesn't cut it, it's been around too long as have it's mods. The gameplay isn't as fun, as I said people like NEWER things. Think of it this way, Hl1 is ESF alpha 2.0. And hl2 is esf 1.3. What would you do?

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL1 Sucks, i know for a fact.

Best answers
Atlantis said:
Just my Theory.

When Half-Life 2 is released, HL1 and mods online play will slowly start to dissapear untill its completley dead or 1 or 2 servers left. Well, accept for Counter-Strike and maybe DOD. That is, untill CS-Source is released. I, for one, am going to be finished with hl1 and all of it's mods - unless they port to hl2, which they would be dumb if they did not. - Simply because the hl1 engine just doesn't cut it.

Prove me wrong.
So modders are dumb, because they don't want to remake years of work, just so their mod can have better graphics. I don't think so...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Atlantis said:
Within the next half a year, - if hl2 is released on schedule - hl1 will be nothing but a waste of hard drive space.
Nothing but opinion. You can think what you want, but you're not imposing anything onto me.

Best answers
I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about how people think. Yes, Modders are dumb. People will migrate to HL2 Mods of the same nature as the one they are with, leaving it in the dust. Why wouldn't they want to keep their players happy? Isn't that the whole reason TO BE KNOWN, they will be known, but only for a short while, then it will be mostly gone.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
-JLN- said:
So modders are dumb, because they don't want to remake years of work, just so their mod can have better graphics. I don't think so...
modder want popularity in what they make... i think they would like have to switch to hl2... or they will die out eventually..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well it will take atleast a year for any decent hl2 mods to surface anyways... and that is depending on when the sdk is released... you know nothing about mods and the time they take to be made... you cant just assume that once hl2 is released, thousands of mods will come with it... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hl1 won't die out anytime soon. People may like newer things, but that doesn't mean there computer can run them. Most of the people in the halflife community have **** computers, and won't be able to handle half life 2. Simple as that.

Best answers
Yes, fair enough, modding is partly about respect, and being known etc. But it's also about gaining experience and learning new things.

You've got to consider a modders feelings towards carrying on a mod on the new engine. Think about it, if you'd spent years making a mod for Half Life, would you really want to spend more years, covering old ground, just to get to the same point. It would be mental torture, and I would doubt that many modders will do it. The mod teams don't have an obligation to please their fans either. If they start porting to Half Life 2 just to please their fans, even though they don't really want to carry on, then they'll fall flat on their face.

I've got no doubt that a lot of the people who mod for Half Life will start working on something for Half Life 2, but I bet very few will actually try, and succeed in porting over a mod. My guess is that a lot of people will start making new, more interesting mods, but I guess we'll just have to see...

Best answers
Was said in the interview that cs source was released with hl2, and will be released retail soon afterwards for ppl that don't want hl2, but anyways onto the topic.

Hl1 was a revolution in the gameplay world, it will not disappear as easily as u say, slowly dampen in players but it will live on, simply cause not everyone has the cash to upgrade my friend.

To play hl2 and get the most out of it ull need a good system( then again i dunno i play doom3 in medium) but anyways, alot of ppl don't have that. So while everyone is enjoying the source engine, and ragdollphysics of shots piercing through skin in hl2. So will hl1 ppl be loving the umf ug and gah's when they shoot someone =P.

Mod's didn't make hl1, they made the online play, and yes it will dampen but no it will not die, this is only my opinion tho.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mogwai said:
Mod's didn't make hl1, they made the online play, and yes it will dampen but no it will not die, this is only my opinion tho.
yeah mods didnt make hl...

oh well maybe they didnt in BIZZARO WORLD

mods are what made hl its because of the easy to edit and open engine that made hl so popular if hl was a single player only game like max payne with an engine closed like that then hl would be no where near as popular as it is

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL2 IS GONNA SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywho, I feel that only Commercial mods are going to go to HL2.. like CS and stuff.

But 3rd party mods are going to stay on HL1 cuz they wouldnt wanna start from scratch *as said before*

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, you say its going to die soon cuz of HL2 right?,.... consider how old HL is right now and also how many newer engines have surfaced since then, and how HL is still being modded quite aggresively,

i dont think a newer engine will stop the classic HL one as quickly as you predict, its lasted this long hasnt it?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMG OKMG OMG OMG GMO WLL ESF BEE N HL@2222!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

lol. Yes, half life 1 will die, but not in a long time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyway, look at it this way. HL is what, 6 or 7 years old and people still play the mods. While games like Doom 3, Farcry, Battlefield etc are already released. I think you're underestimating the fanbase HL has. Look at ESF for example, a modification on a 7 year old game and it has thousands of players. I think most people appreciate the mods for HL instead of HL itself. And that's why IMO HL will not die in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom