HL1 Mods are going to Die soon. - Read this, do you disagree?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL2 doesn't only offer new graphics, MOD Makers would also be offered a new physics engine among with destroyable terrain, atleast you can free form it, with other better features, such as netcode, and other newer options.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh and btw people still mod quake 2 and quake 1

its not always about what the game gives at release

after hl2 is out for a while no doubt hl1 will become open source and then all kinds of crazy stuff can happen which is exactly why people still mod for old games

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Atlantis said:
It's obvious. People want things to be better and better, when a new version of something is released, people want it. When a new Half-Life patch is released, people never stay behind accept for the odd person. They all move on. Just like people will move on to hl2. Within the next half a year, - if hl2 is released on schedule - hl1 will be nothing but a waste of hard drive space.
As disappointing as it sounds hese right, but when that time comes we will truely find out which was more popular... Quake/Quake 2 or Half-Life. Because there are still many people that play the old Quake games and the quake mod that is most active these days I think is either Team Fortress or Action Quake 2.

I do not think ESF will make it in HL2. I just got my reasons, it probably will, but I have a feeling that most features will be limited unlike the ones in Half-Life. If anything it will have to turn out to be similar to BFP. Im also thinking of what ESF would look like in Doom 3... That Mars terrain could come in handy :p it looks beautiful when you look at mars but also kinda deserted. Ah well. If anything, if there will be a new ESF it should be for one of the unreal games.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wow asking for a ban huh?

second warning!

Best answers
This theory sucks, many ppeople will stick with half-life one and its mods for a long time because half-life two has some high requirements...

Best answers
Definatly not true. Hell, people still play Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II and there have been two installments in the series since then. To say that HL1 will die out immediatly is a very dumb thing to say. Not all mods will be porting to HL2, including ESF, and I'm sure not all popular mods are willing to start over from scratch as well.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Hibiki said:
oh and btw people still mod quake 2 and quake 1

its not always about what the game gives at release

after hl2 is out for a while no doubt hl1 will become open source and then all kinds of crazy stuff can happen which is exactly why people still mod for old games
Half Life engine source isn't being released without permission from id software (like they're gonna give valve permission anyways).

With the recent release of Doom 3, I am expecting the Quake 3: Arena engine source to be released... that will be heavily modded.

As for the topic here, Half Life 1 and its mods will live on at LAN parties forever.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL1 will not die completely for a very long time. It's too big. It really should be dead NOW...it IS 6 years old.

But there WILL be a shift to HL2. It is Inevitable.

And Kurt is Right. How can you have a LAN party WIHOUT HL(AND WITH THE HELLSPAWN THAT IS CS!)

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Pssh that's what people said about CS 1.5 and that took it's sweet time dying if it ever did so i say HL wont be dead for a LONG time considering how many people in the world have mediocre computers that might not be able to handle HL2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im on a 64mb GeForce 4 MX420, 512MB SDRAM, Pentium 4 - 2.53ghz, 80GB HD... I know it aint the best **** around (its a 2002 comp) but this SHOULD run HL2 (it runs doom 3 after all). I donno HL2's requirements but I think people are making a big deal about it and I think it would run just fine on comps made in the year 2000/2001+. HL2 doesn't look like any big **** to me, the animations are the only things that look good to me, knock CPU's down? Big deal, you can move barrels and other items in Doom 3.

Best answers
At some part they are right, but also wrong, The hl2 engine might be better, and people stop playing the hl1 engine, so less people will play esf, for me this doesn't count, i think that when the gameplay is good, the graphics doesn't matter much, only if the graphics really sucks, but esf is the best mod (gameplay) i ever played, and i will play it for a long time, even if it stays on the hl1 engine

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Atlantis said:
I highly doubt. The Half-life 1 engine doesn't cut it, it's been around too long as have it's mods. The gameplay isn't as fun, as I said people like NEWER things. Think of it this way, Hl1 is ESF alpha 2.0. And hl2 is esf 1.3. What would you do?

Not everybody can just say: hey i buy half-live 2,

Makin esf 1.3 for Half-Life 2 is unfair, you are forcing people to buy the other game.
And so, you lose allot of fans.
Half-Life 2 maybe doesn't have big system requirements, you can play it on a 700 Mhz, but then it looks awfull.
Valve did a Poll, and asked what computer system do people have.
Most people had slow computers (800 mhz), in stead of mid-range or high-end systems.
So if peopl would buy HL 2, and play esf 1.3 for hl2, then it would look awfull becouse you would need to put the settings low to play it.

And then you can better play half-live 1, plus esf for hl 1.

And like the esf-team said, Esf is born on the HL engine, and dies on the HL engine.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
hl2 it was on the news and magazines,, they said the game was number 1 out of every other games,,,, and they also said it blows all the competition away,, so i dont know why sum plp are saying its gonna suck,, i seen a few trailers it got me hyped up about it and my friend he never liked games or anythihng he hated games but when he saw the trailer he said "holyf*** im getting this".... most who are against hl2 probably havent seen any HIGH quality previews... hl will die out so will the mods im sure of it cause every 1 is switching except sum plp who still thinks hl will live....i give it 1 year after hl2 comes out and plus thers cs source of course plp like cs so all fans will switch...theres already around millions of plp who pre payed for hl2waiting for it to come out,,, plp are gonna have to keep up to technology,, every 2-3 years every 1 buys a new comp (well not every 1) nobodys forcing plp to buy them its just they get soo outdated and ur comp becomes so crap u just need a better comp,, thats how it always is and its the same way its gonna go with half life,, half life will get outdated too

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm actually looking FORWARD to a majority of the community migrating to HL2. Half-Life kids are some of the biggest online ****heads I've ever encountered, and I'm not gonna miss them once they're gone.

My take on the situation says otherwise, however. All the ****heads who don't take their gaming experiences very seriously will stay on HL1 for the simple fact that they aren't serious about gaming and thus probably are playing on a Presario that would **** all over itself if ever faced with HL2. Because of that, I'm predicting that there will be a nice 6-12 month gap in HL2's online community of mass ****headery.

Half-Life 1's engine should have been open sourced a long time ago. If it's based off of Quake II's engine though, doesn't that mean that at some point, THEY had an open source version of the Quake II engine?

If HL were open sourced...man, think of the possibilities. All the annoying texture limits, GONE. All the annoying map size limits and model poly limits...GONE. Lack of physics...GONE (if someone went to the trouble). That's be sweet.

If that happened, then none of the mods except CS and DOD would port.

If I were them I would have tried to make some kind of HL1 engine emulator in their HL2 engine. That'd be pretty sweet--then all the mod makers could continue to work as normal.

Discord Member
Best answers
lol,it is like final fantasy for me.hl 2 seems good and has pretty good graphic but what do you know about the story,the important gameplay and so on.you didnt play it yet.also i think if you think "woah nice graphic" thats not all what is important for a game or mod.the hl1 engine offers a various space of mods,good mods and esf is one of them.i know that is hard to make esf compatible with hl2 and i would download and play esf til it is for hl2 available.i play games that are much older.oh and did you know that snes games rule at the most?bad look huh?but the best games are on this platform.

Best answers
I aint looking forward to HL2, I will have to nearly build up PC over, and atm i dont have the money to. I am sure alot of people cant upgrade thier pc any time soon. HL will only die out when everyone has upgraded thier PC to at least a Medium Preformance PC. This all depends on the rate of fall in component parts. The quicker prices fall, the more people can afford to upgrade thier PC.
But then again, as already said, there are people who will always prefer HL and die hard fans might just want to stick with it. But wont Valve eventually stop producing HL and supporting it on onlline play? So slowly there will be less online servers for HL, like what happened with the CS 1.5 and the closing of WON?

Best answers
I for one will always play DoD 3.0 and TS for HL1, I have had more fun with those 2 games than any other MPFPS. I'm so sick of all these new games coming out now that the visuals are so demanding people everywhere are like, OMG OMG I need to buy a new PC so I can play this game!

EDIT:

Insight said:
lol,it is like final fantasy for me.hl 2 seems good and has pretty good graphic but what do you know about the story,the important gameplay and so on.you didnt play it yet.also i think if you think "woah nice graphic" thats not all what is important for a game or mod.the hl1 engine offers a various space of mods,good mods and esf is one of them.i play games that are much older.oh and did you know that snes games rule at the most?bad look huh?but the best games are on this platform.
Amen my non-graphic's whore brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom