Hey!

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Hey Guys im an old esf player (5 years and still going) been playing esf for a long time you all probably know me as Core - G | Alex (Skizers old clan tag) Anyway ive seen great progress with the new ESF 1.3, i may be told off for asking this but, with all this new graphics and huge map scaling involved, will this cause major latency to online servers? like i say i dont know if its against the rules to discuss 1.3 but thanks anyway :)

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't worry, latency isn't a problem. Unless of course you're connecting from the other side of the planet (Ky being particularly guilty) ^^.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We still use the HL netcode. All the fancy graphics are client side.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Ah right ok. So will fps change at all? or will that all depend on your computer? you must have to have some good ram to make this game run smoothly? :p

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, graphics dont affect the lag, some other things may though....

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hard to believe those huge maps aren't going to lag sometimes.

Current 1.2.3 versions of ESF lag with 15 players over LAN games with the server being the main network computer.
think about ESF:F and a simple cell_games... you get 7 players and ppl start choking and losing packs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I confused latency with lactating once. Hilarity ensued.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Latency will be dependent mostly on the quality of the server host. However yes, the FPS requirements for ESF:F will be higher than 1.2.3. Right now all we know for certain is that you're going to need a CPU that can use the SSE2 instruction set, and a Graphics card with full shader model 3 support.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Are you confusing latency with FPS?
No, I'm talking about latency and HL's netcode, also about ESF latency in general that in 1.2.3 seems to be hell lot of messed up.

If the server has too many clients on esf, everybody starts to get chokes and loss of packages, even if the ping is averangely low.
That is the point of what I said. 15-16 is the max I could manage once to hold in a LAN server, I invited the whole lan to play and they were really excited to do so. Turns out there were like 20 guys able to play, but once the server got up to 15 players, everybody lagged out, choke... and loss.
The computers were dual cores amd x2 I think, all of them with 512 mb VGA(medium ones, not low cost ones) all able to hold even better games.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That probably is the server tic rate/FPS. Too many servers on one box. Although the ping times are fine, the processing power simply isn't there.l

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, almost full one - 17-25 people if I remember right. Kamehames everywhere, me still having highest score on the board, 70+ ping 70-99 FPS...

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I ran a single server that was for 10 people and I had like 20 plugins.

I spawned HL Soldiers, Headcrabs, scientists, Big Momma's, Barneys, the works. It was fun times...but now that is simply to much work for me...maybe when 1.3 comes out, but by then the main game will be so fun it won't need stuff like that :p

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Laff.
Yeah 10 ppl is acceptable.. but I mean like Glac1al said 17-25 players is WAY over what I call a smooth connection.

Why the f... then we all got choke in lan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom