Help Opti, Help Himself

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have an assignment for my American Politics course that entails the following,
Analyze the 2006 U.S. Congressional election as if you were a political consultant hired by one of the candidates (whichever one you like) to assess the conduct of their campaign. Select a candidate, and given your familiarity with public opinion and the American political process, review their strategies for winning votes in different parts of their state or district and among the various segments of the electorate.
Now, considering there are 435 districts, and I know little if anything about any of them, this is where you guys come in. Does anyone live in a district that is blatantly republican or democratic?

My angle is that for example, if I find a district that is overwhelmingly democrat, it will be relatively easy to talk about the issues at hand, and that that candidate is doing to pull in democrat votes. And vice versa if it were a largely republican district.

Thanks in advance guys, any insight is helpful.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I refuse to help you do your homework. You're supposed to do the research yourself.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
I refuse to help you do your homework. You're supposed to do the research yourself.
Did I ask you to write my paper? Nope. Did I ask anyone to give me an extensive answer? Didn't do that either, in fact, someone probably could have given me a suitable answer in fewer words than you used. I'm not asking for anyone to do my research, a simple "I live in this district, and people consistently vote *party*" would have sufficed. I just thought that instead of scanning through 435 districts until I find one that fits my criteria, I'd come here. But thanks for the input Logan.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well it aint exacly the US but my town is totaly 100% liberal >.>

Darn taht can get on my nerves >.<

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
I'll bet you tell that to people when they ask you a survey question.

My district is democratic but not blatantly so, so I can't help that much.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I live in the southern US, so there is a dominant presence of Republicans.

Any candidate who wants to reach the "Red States" probably has to come off as family-first and show high standards in religious morals.

I imagine both parties can level on taxes, healthcare/medicare, and public/national safety.

In the end, both parties seem to share a lot of goals, but Republicans add some levels of denominational hysteria.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I used to live in Newton, Massachusetts. It's a suburb of Boston. It's super liberal, pretty sure they always vote Democrat

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I live in Oklahoma City, the state and city has been run by Democrats for decades, but in presidential elections, the southerners will pull republican 90% of the time.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I live in the Bush hating state of Pennsylvania. But PA is odd, while we decline to vote republican presidents (I personally think the GOP handles war better) we love to vote in GOP senators and district representatives (who I think are special interest whores, the dem candidates are not much better at all). Typically, PA slants blue, but a lot of people here need red laws to make things happen on a big scale (since PA is not very developed yet). There are a ton of elderly in the state, it being a fasionable getaway from Florida's heat durning the summer months, so medicare has been a hot button issue. People seem to harp on immigration, either because they are backwards cuttey rednecks that are prejudiced, or they have legitimate concerns about cleaning jobs going to illegal aliens. So this has also been a hot issue. Overall, however, the big issue here is taxes. Because of a large influx of wealthy New Yorkers (including my own middle class family), PA is suffering soaring Property Tax issues. Most areas in the Poconos are impossible to pay for unless you work out of state or you are management in Aventis Pharma, Laird Technologies, or Weiler Corporation.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm up here in Boston. A weird mix that usually ends up coming out Democratic.

The area seems to be populated by infuriated democrats who are outnumbered by much more aggressive republicans. Up here where I live it's a little richer and tends to be more republican, but the either north or south of here is fairly heavy in democratic sentiment.

Massachusetts is a big deal right now because we are about to ****can this idiot governor of ours who can't even build a ****ing tunnel right and finally get some democrats back into office (until Kerry Healey's slander campaign hit the TV, anyhow). It's very back and forth here right now--you have an ugly combination of people like me, busting our ass for our money day in and day out who want someone to recognize our time and effort keeping the local economics rolling, but also their are many people whose' jobs scale ridiculously.

Take me for example. I make enought o barely afford a car payment and rent. My friend works at CVS for 6 more hours a week and gets the same amount of money I do, because of tax differences.

My boss, however, makes enough money that she has three vacation homes. She isn't even that high in the company--it's just how things scale because of taxes here in MA. The cost of living has skyrocketed so much that it's causing a lot of inflation in the high end of the job market, which would explain the recent heavy republican migrations that I've noted.

Here might not be a good place to use; it's kind of back and forth right now. But we legalized *** marriage and that was a huge democratic blow against the republicans "Anti-G-Word, Anti-A-Word" legislature. And much like what Cuc says about PA, our area has some huge hot-button issues that just explode when brought up in political forum.

One of the primary things here is the Big Dig. If you don't know, it is a project started a long time ago to put most of Boston's major roads in the city underground in tunnels, clearing up skyline clutter. And if you know the Big Dig then you know it has been poorly built and many corners have been cut (as with all construction here), and one tunnel recently collapsed and killed some lady who probably wasn't even here legally anyway. THis has been a hot button issue because the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, the people in charge of this hackjob, are also imbibed with a certain diplomatic immunity to government involvement. Because of this our piece of crap absentee republican governor has been previously unable to inspect these tunnels with any government agencies, and that's why this kind of crap has happened. Even after the death, the governor still had to go to court to file for an injunction so that he could inspect the tunnels with independent contractors. They of course immediately found that almost all of these tunnels were completely unsafe and built pathetically poorly.

Schools are also pretty crappy out here too. Democratic governor candidate Deval Patrick is seeking to change that, but he's not that big on the Big Dig crap, which is a major issue for most of us near the city because the sons of *****es are all in the pocket of the Mayor and the Turnpike authority, which means all of our roads are built poorly and require consistent repairs which ****s up traffic for ten miles in any given direction because of how poorly our city's roadways are designed right now with the half-finished big dig.

Personally I liked the roads better before, winding around the sky, all futuristic style. Who the **** wants fifteen tunnels, anyway?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
Did I ask you to write my paper? Nope. Did I ask anyone to give me an extensive answer? Didn't do that either, in fact, someone probably could have given me a suitable answer in fewer words than you used. I'm not asking for anyone to do my research, a simple "I live in this district, and people consistently vote *party*" would have sufficed. I just thought that instead of scanning through 435 districts until I find one that fits my criteria, I'd come here. But thanks for the input Logan.
I guess reactions are different depending on who's asking. Last time I asked for help on a school assignment with just some random ideas, nearly everyone ripped me on it saying "do the work yourself." It got so bad I had to ask for the topic to be closed just to make the flaming stop. I was conducting a little experiment of my own in this topic, and it seems it turned out just as I expected it to. With that said, I'm going to leave this particular subject alone from now on. Lets get back to what the topic is really about. I apologise for wasting your time beforehand.

Now then, with that out of the way, I'll help you. I live in Ohio, which has a pretty decent mix, but I'd say Democratic is #1 there. Not because of bush haters, but just beliefs in general.

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Actually Logan there is a big difference in what you did and what Optimus Prime did he didn't ask for ideas on what his paper should be or points he could make had he chosen a topic which is esentially what you did so don't bother comparing the two. You had your topic closed in another forum for the same thing why would it be different here. End of story

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
I have an assignment for my American Politics course that entails the following,

Now, considering there are 435 districts, and I know little if anything about any of them, this is where you guys come in. Does anyone live in a district that is blatantly republican or democratic?

My angle is that for example, if I find a district that is overwhelmingly democrat, it will be relatively easy to talk about the issues at hand, and that that candidate is doing to pull in democrat votes. And vice versa if it were a largely republican district.

Thanks in advance guys, any insight is helpful.
Virginia votes mostly Republican--the rural parts, anyway--but the industrial part (Northern Virginia, where MCI, AOL, Verizon, all sorts of tech companies, etc are based) leans liberal.

Regardless, people across the board are becoming tired of the same conservative lip service they've been getting. Which is why Tim Kaine was elected as governor, rather than Jerry Kilgore (for whom Bush campaigned for personally). In addition, long-standing GOP senator George Allen is facing a tough battle against former Secretary of the Navy (under Reagan) James Webb, an outspoken critic of the Iraq war, and a very fresh face in Virginian politics.

I could write about twenty pages about how much I despise George Allen, and how he's the devil incarnate, but.. *shrug* There you go.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
New York usually goes Democratic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom