Help me with computer parts!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yo i'm on a pretty old crappy compaq. i have a standard graphics card which they give you. i'm pretty sure its a "extreme graphics 2" card.

its an intel r 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv graphics controller according to the device manager. i'm fairly sure i have a low ammount of ram, where i check that for sure is beyond me.

could some1 point me towards a half descent graphics card for roughly 100-200 range, preferable 100 ish range

i can pick up a geforce 4 for around 90, probobly cheaper now here.

but that cards fairly dated... lol

i dont play anything thats insanely demanding graphicly. i just wanna play WoW on fairly high settings, with a good frame rate

i play at like 1024 rez, my monitors rez, with textures on high, and it runs pretty well when i'm in an instance but pvp on a large scale is just horrible, i cant keep up with the other players.

-so links to some fair graphics cards in that range,and / or more ram, could some1 tel me where i check how much ram my computer has

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
yo i'm on a pretty old crappy compaq. i have a standard graphics card which they give you. i'm pretty sure its a "extreme graphics 2" card.

its an intel r 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv graphics controller according to the device manager. i'm fairly sure i have a low ammount of ram, where i check that for sure is beyond me.

could some1 point me towards a half descent graphics card for roughly 100-200 range, preferable 100 ish range

i can pick up a geforce 4 for around 90, probobly cheaper now here.

but that cards fairly dated... lol

i dont play anything thats insanely demanding graphicly. i just wanna play WoW on fairly high settings, with a good frame rate

i play at like 1024 rez, my monitors rez, with textures on high, and it runs pretty well when i'm in an instance but pvp on a large scale is just horrible, i cant keep up with the other players.

-so links to some fair graphics cards in that range,and / or more ram, could some1 tel me where i check how much ram my computer has
Lower your resolution and drop textures down to low. Your current graphics 'card' isn't actually a graphics card; it's integrated into your motherboard. It's ment for intel to be able to say "3D Acceleration On This AFFORDABLE PC!", nothing more.

half descent graphics card for roughly 100-200 range, preferable 100 ish range
Find out if your computer has an expansion slot that would make 'upgrading' even worth it. Download a program called CPU-Z and click the motherboard tab. You'll either have AGP or nothing, which means PCI (note: not PCI-E in his case). If it's the former, then we can expand.

Also, CPU-Z will tell how much RAM you have, how many sticks are in the computer, and other information that's helpful.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
k thx i'll get to that
err i think i have a ddr type 512 mb memory stick and an empty slot

and it doesnt say agp so i'm assuming i have the pci anything under

i was saving up to just buy a nice laptop anyways, for various reasons, but this would be a hell of alot a cheaper.

i need to restore this puppy

this particular model is 3 years old... but we had this sent to us because the one we previously had, that they broke wasnt made anymore appearently, so its probobly not up to date even for its day, crappy compaq wise

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
k thx i'll get to that
err i think i have a ddr type 512 mb memory stick and an empty slot

and it doesnt say agp so i'm assuming i have the pci anything under

i was saving up to just buy a nice laptop anyways, for various reasons, but this would be a hell of alot a cheaper.

i need to restore this puppy

this particular model is 3 years old... but we had this sent to us because the one we previously had, that they broke wasnt made anymore appearently, so its probobly not up to date even for its day, crappy compaq wise
If it's just PCI, then you're not going to be going much further with this computer. You can upgrade, but any PCI VPU you put in there will be severely limited. I'm sorry.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yea. i'll continue my saving for a laptop.

thank you, delete meh thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom