Help me choose! DS or PSP?

Best answers
name me a couple of GOOD solid DS games out right now besides Super Mario DS. 'nuff said.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tien said:
name me a couple of GOOD solid DS games out right now besides Super Mario DS. 'nuff said.
The same arguement can be made of the PSP games. Name me one solid one that I cannot get on my PS2. Both the PSP and DS have games very similar to their older cousins, which is why I stress that one should look around at soon-to-be released games before getting a console.

A good, solid game, once again, is defined by one's preference. IMO, the fact that I can get Goldeney: Rogue Agent on the DS could make for a solid game. And, although I'd hate to admit it, the Kirby game actually looks rediculously fun (I think I'm a closet platformer fan o_O).

I cannot stress this enough: the decision should be based on what you want to get, Swift, not what your friends tell you is better. If it's at all possible to try both systems before you pick one, I'd recommend that. Even more so, look around on IGN or Gamespot to see what games are coming in the near future to each system.

Again, I, by no means, am trying to start a debate here. I just want to ensure that things are maintained in a relatively balanced state, here. The last thing that's needed is another console war.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go to your local game store and try both of them out. I know at my Best Buy they have demos of both the PSP and the DS. Sometimes the PSP isn't out on the floor, but if a customer asks me, I'll get the demo out for them. They're both great systems, and in my opinion, they're both worth the money. Like Majin said, what we say shouldn't matter too much, it all comes down to which one you think is better.

By the way Majin, the Kirby game is pretty fun, it just takes a bit of practice with the stylus.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
majin, you cant carry your ps2 in your pocket, try it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, I think both handgelds did pretty bad for launch games. Both games just have remakes or 'cloned' games. I give credit to PSP for actually having DVDs people would actualy WATCH instead of game boy color's poor video selection.

Though I have a DS, I say you should go for the psp. It can play movies, music, and i suppose better graphics, if your into that thing.

Why I chose the DS, well, I dunno a personal thing I guess, one of the biggies as being able to play both GBA and DS games, even though the majortiy of it's games are mini game like. They have good games planned, better internet access planned and the ability to play movies planned. Which is a terrbile strategy, so, if these thigns do happen, I have to get a new ds, and as for the new games, way too late in the game.

So yeah PSP if your stable financially.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Everyone i've talked to was very disappointed with the DS. They usually returned it for a PSP:) Apparently there's tons of problems with the hardware as well. (Like games randomly poping out of the DS). I own a PSP and i have to say i'm quite impressed, especially with multiplayer. Both lan and internet games with perfect! My ping stayed around 30-40ms while playing people from the east coast..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FreeDoM said:
I own a PSP and i have to say i'm quite impressed, especially with multiplayer. Both lan and internet games with perfect! My ping stayed around 30-40ms while playing people from the east coast..

Now when you say internet..Do you mean 100 feet or less away from each other internet? or Playing with others in 2 seperate states internet?

Best answers
I'd imagine he meant two separate states. I don't think he'd brag about his ping being great while playing against "people from the east coast" if he was on the east coast.

fortnox said:
DS has 2/3 times the battery life of the PSP, and charges in half the time. DS has touch screen, origonal games, and a ton of cool amazing ideas and games that can be done w/ two screens, touchble screen and voice.
Sorry, but I have to say it. If the DS has 2/3 times the battery life of the PSP, that would mean the PSP has more than the DS. Of course I realize what you were trying to say, but for the record, the DS gets a little more than double the battery life of what the PSP would get. And I'm not sure about this, but I think the PSP has a microphone too. I don't know if it's useable by games or not, though (I don't see why it wouldn't be...)

Anyway, I'm with Majin_You. Get the system with the games that YOU want. Of course, the capabilities of the PSP can't be overlooked, but if what you're looking for is a gaming machine make your choice based on the games.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure he meant 2-3 (two to three) times, as opposed to 2/3 (two thirds) the time.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
the PSP looks better, and the DS is FUN.
You're saying it like the PSP isn't fun, it only has looks, which from what I've heard from experience, is far from the truth.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a DS because I wanted to try something new.

The microphone, wireless, touch screen and dual screen functions are awesome, and I've already spent many happy hours with it.

But I might also get a PSP, but only if there are some unique games coming out for it.

I'm not gonna buy an expensive machine like the PSP if it'll only get PS2 ports. I know it won't, but it had better come up with something good, or they won't get my money.

Best answers
Well, I said I knew what he meant, but whatever.

Hmmm, I'd consider those games good, but as far as them being solid, I don't think so. Wario Ware is fun at times but is somewhat of a novelty. You could count on Pac-Man for a good time ... 25 years ago; he's looking a little tired now. Metroid isn't even out yet, and won't be for another four months, although the demo shows a very promising game (it's Metroid). I haven't heard of 'DBZ: Super Sonic Warriors 2' or 'Shogun Jump Super Stars' and they're not even on Gamespot so I can't even pretend to know what I talking about. That leaves Golden Eye:Rogue Agent, which in my opinion, is mediocre. The sound was terrible, the controls were just plain awful, and the story was pretty corny.

So of the games you listed, I see only one solid title: Metroid (and it's not out yet).

so dose DS, apparently theres a wireless plugin that plays DVDs and CDs.
If you're talking about the 'Play-Yan' it doesn't play DVD's and CD's. If you're not talking about Play-Yan, then I don't see anything that'd support your claim. Post the website, please.

Contrary to popular belief, graphics CAN make or break a game. A prime example is the Grand Theft Auto series. While GTAII was a fun and innovative game, the franchise never really got any kind of recognition until it went 3-D. Of course, the transition to a third dimension brings a host of gameplay changes (mostly concerning targeting), but I think the point I'm trying to make here is that sometimes graphics are important. Are they as important as gameplay? Hell no. But without the proper graphics, sometimes you can't have the proper gameplay.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Half-Unit said:
But without the proper graphics, sometimes you can't have the proper gameplay.
I don't know that this point is as valid when you're comparing the DS and the PSP. Both are fully 3d (with the exception of a few DS games that are side-scrolling 3d games, such as the Kirby and Yoshi games), so it isn't as though the PSP has more gameplay options open to it because it has graphics that more resemble those of the PS2. Both the DS and PSP are completely capable of using full, 3d environments. Technically speaking, both could be capable of the same style of games. The only difference will be that the PSP games have a more polished look to them because of the PSP's superior graphics.

And, granted, Metroid is often a solid game (not to mention, for the first time, an online version that is similar to Metroid Prime). The rest that were mentioned are just about as solid as one wants them to be. Personally, I don't find Metal Gear Solid for PSP and a handfull of racing games to be very solid, either - both systems are not really priorities for Nintendo and Sony. Both are pumping a lot of resources into the development of the Revolution and PS3, respectively. One would have to wait a bit before really "solid" titles come out for either console. However, I would still argue that Lumines for the PSP was solid, but that's just my opinion - I couldn't stop playing the game until my bro returned his PSP.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i aint gonna lie, DJ-Swift; look at the titles available for both hand helds, and make a decision based on which titles you prefer or would like to play most; dont rely on other peoples' opinions for something like this; you will regret it

Best answers
Majin_You said:
I don't know that this point is as valid when you're comparing the DS and the PSP.
You never know. Their's a game called 'Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories' coming out for the PSP. I don't know if it's going to be 3-D or not but I DO know that the DS wouldn't be able to run it if it was. The graphical capabilities of the DS aren't even CLOSE to the PSP, so it's not out of the question that the DS's graphical limitations might affect the gameplay in ways that it wouldn't affect the PSP.

That said, the DS has a trump card: the touch screen. The PSP can't match THAT gameplay facet no matter how hard it tries.

Majin_You said:
The rest that were mentioned are just about as solid as one wants them to be.
Well, my definition of a 'solid game' would be a game that is universally acceptable, you know, a game where people who normally don't play that type of game can see why it's good and why others would want to play it. To say it's as solid as one wants them to be is kind of an invalid statement to me. One might think Quest 64 is good game, but I don't think that makes it solid.

Anyway, you're absolutely right. Both the PSP and the DS don't have too many great games so arguing about it is rather futile.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say go for the DS. Its more solid and has nice graphics, plus more games are out. The PSP's graphics are that of the PSX maybe worse maybe a little better depending on the game you play. PSP doens't have that many games out. Only thing that would make me buy it is the DVD and Cd function is comes with. Other then that if you are going for just game play then gor for the DS. Also the DS can play old gameboy and GBA games where as the PSP can't play PS or PS2 games ye since the cd older is much more smaller.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Half-Unit said:
Their's a game called 'Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories' coming out for the PSP. I don't know if it's going to be 3-D or not but I DO know that the DS wouldn't be able to run it if it was. The graphical capabilities of the DS aren't even CLOSE to the PSP, so it's not out of the question that the DS's graphical limitations might affect the gameplay in ways that it wouldn't affect the PSP.
This is very true. I didn't intend to argue that something as massive as a GTA game would be just as good on the DS as it would be on the PSP. It might be possible to have a larger, open-ended game on the DS, but the graphics wouldn't compel one to try it as much as a similar game on the PSP. However, I don't think that this would make it impossible for the DS to have open-ended games like GTA. Even the GBA has its own rendition in the form of a Starsky and Hutch game, which allows players to drive around as they please through a city and some of the surrounding country areas - so, why not have that style of gameplay on the DS?

Again, the PSP would likely be able to create a larger area in something like a GTA game, or, should the focus be graphics, a better looking city area. I don't think that it would be impossible to achieve such a thing on the DS.

However, as a few of us have already stated, nothing earth-shattering has arrived to either of these new consoles, yet. Both could take surprising turns in their development and shock us all - we can only wait and hope for such events. That's really been the only thing stopping me from making the "DS or PSP" decision.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I would recommend you to get the PSP as I have only experienced it. As far as people have been saying that the PSP's battery is short lived it's rather not. It lasts about up for 5 Hours watching videos from the memory stick and plays for 7 hours.

The PSP has also been 'hacked' recently so that you can run emulators of GBAs, SNES, NES, Sega and other preivious gaming systems. It also allows you to go online with the game WipeOut Pure, where you can run small JAVA apps, such as AIM and other novelty computer items.

The games for the PSP are from the PS2 selection but there are more games coming which will serve as only on the PSP, such as Untold Legends and Rengoku if you like the Diablo 2 style of games (I forgot what it's actually called- the gametype that is)

But there are some bad things to the PSP. The PSP itself looks very sleek and neat, however when you start holding it you'll notice your fingerprints everywhere- I've heard that this is because it has a scratch resistant coating on it.

Furthermore it is costly, and with that said it isnt a system for the younger players, as it would be more delicate then my dusty Gameboy. And the battery warning on the PSP when it is about to shutdown is terrible, you could have gone 13 levels without saving in Untold Legends then notice your green light blink and BAM off goes the PSP.

There are also a lacking amount of video games out for it right now. I would recommend looking at the games and seeing the game line ups before you would buy the system, because if you're just going to get it to watch movies, play mp3s and roms, and go on the internet, I would recommend you getting a quality cell phone.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this is not really working, its more like a war between ds-ers and psp-ers.....we need a way to really find out which one is better

Code:
[u][i][b]DS:[/b][/i][/u]
-Has "some" good games
-3d graphics
-touchscreen
-Long battery lifetime
-150 dollars(something like that)
-??Wireless internet?? (not sure if the ds has this)

[u][i][b]Psp:[/b][/i][/u]
-Has "some" good games
-3d graphics superior to the ds
-allows playing movies, music and watching pictures (digital camera, manga chapters)
-Short battery lifetime
-250 dollars
-Wireless internet (Wi-Fi)
-Internet support (being able to download stuff such as new maps for a game)
Now quote this code thing i made above, and add stuff if you know what a psp or ds can do...
This is so we can see what they are both capeable of...

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Code:
[u][i][b]DS:[/b][/i][/u]
-Has "some" good games (subject to change)
-3d graphics
-touchscreen
-Long battery lifetime
-150 dollars(something like that); $199 Canadian.
-Wireless internet (definitely has this)
-Voice recognition
-Backwards compatibility with all GBA games.
[u][i][b]Psp:[/b][/i][/u]
-Has "some" good games (subject to change)
-3d graphics superior to the ds
-allows playing movies, music and watching pictures (digital camera, manga chapters)
-Short battery lifetime
-250 dollars; $299 Canadian
-Wireless internet (Wi-Fi)
-Internet support (being able to download stuff such as new maps for a game)
I'm really out of my element when it comes to the DS' plans for movies and for internet support. They apparently focusing a lot on the online aspect in the coming months. The PSP has a lot in the internet department, as mentioned above, because people are finding back-door exploit-ish things (like Opti mentioned earlier; being able to run MSN using WipeOut).

Honestly, it still comes down to your preference, Swift, as well as how much you want to pay, and what kinds of games are coming out for each system.

If I've come off as a DS fanboy, my apologies. As I've said a few times previously, I am only trying to level the playing field. This thread was, initially, woefully lop-sided, with most people looking only at what the PSP has to offer. I felt it necessary to post some of what the DS has to offer, as well. However, I own neither system, nor do I intend to until better games arrive for either of them. I have tried both, and I really like both.

Having said that, this thread has gone just fine thus far. Let's not escalate this into a war of specs like the last DS and PSP thread. For whatever reason, once people get technical, things get ugly.

Now, I reiterate on what I said in my first post here - this is completely up to you, Swift. We shouldn't be trying to sell you on either system (there's no point to that), and you shouldn't be swayed by who likes which console. Try both out, if you can, with as many available games as you can. After that, the choice will likely be a lot easier. Unless, of course, you're like me, and you find something you like in every console and must, therefore, spend hundreds of dollars to complete your collection >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom