He who is strong

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Just thought about it today, and I believe many people have different opinions about this, lets learn from each other.

I noticed lately that (I see it a lot among teenagers) people (guys mostly, I believe) have power struggles. I do not necessarily mean physically, although it just might develop into that. I do believe a lot of it among teenagers is the mix of testosterone and the need to impress the opposite sex. When I say power struggles I mean that someone is trying to show force using words, actions, behavior and physical punishment toward some other guy. He is trying to show he is stronger than the other guy/s (again, not necessarily physically) in different ways like I bolded above.
The thing that intrigues is by the different people behavior towards someone who is trying to show force towards them. Some people might just ignore, some will fight back and give up, some will fight back and will not give up so easily, some will be a "sponge" and will absorb all the punishment coming towards them without any reaction.

Do you think that the guy who is so eager to show force is actually strong? Maybe he tries to show force because he doesn't actually feel strong so he tries to create that feeling from looking and behaving tough?
The guy who will act like a "sponge", does it necessarily come from insecurity or he just might know better than having power struggles with other guys and/or he is strong and he knows that, so he doesn't feel the need to show it and resist. (of course there are "sponges" who don't react from insecurity in them self)

If I had to say about myself, and I am meeting that not a bit with people acting like this towards me and I see towards other people. Sometimes its with people I have relations with. I believe it is mostly based about impression on the other sex. (teenagers..) I usually respond in a way that "I have no time for your ****, mate".
I believe I am strong, there is not one person in my school who im afraid of. I am not afraid of getting beaten and I am not afraid of fighting back, although I am afraid of breaking someone's arm or dislocate it. (note that people in my school aren't actually violent and our violent rate is very low in our school)

Say what you think about this scenarios among men, about the aggressor and the defender/sponge. Who is the actual strong guy and who is with the "pose"? Can someone will actually show force from INSECURITY? anything that comes to mind, share it.

Edit: Thanks Tenzo, forgot to mention that. I am not completely passive. I stop being passive at the moment it actually becomes physically offensive, when it repeats itself and when he goes overboard with it.

Last edited:
Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Humans are just like animals WE have to fight for our right as the alpha male

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess it depends from person to person. But my opinion is that you should know when to fight and when not to. There are times when you must fight(cornered, defend honor, according to each ones principles and morality).

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Madman + Alpha Male = Oxymoron

What can I say, I think you hit the nail on the head. Without getting into too many psychologycal theories, it is safe to assume that the ones who frequently show agression towards others are just in need of a desperate call for attention.
Psychic energy works like thermodynamics... hence the term psychodynamics.. so a certain behavior always has a base, and from that point on that energy could mean a bunch of different manifestations behavior-wise, such as aggresion (jocks) or self-aggresion (emos), desperation, complementation, etc. All of this being a product of insecurity, 95% from parents and/or close relationships. You may ask, how is an all-popular college football player, who has absolutely everything satisfied material-wise, as well as, in some aspects, relationship-wise, gives himself the privilege of being such a *******? Well, many families who come from wealthy backgrounds tend to put their work before everything else, thus his aggresion resides in a need to prove himself to his parents in a futile attempt to gain some much needed affection. Perfect example was that guy Zeo had on his avatar a while back... some macho-man toughguy who eventually breaks down and pours his needy insecurities onto everyone else.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Girls suck.

[video=youtube;LCYPGnJdO1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCYPGnJdO1U[/video].

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Interesting thoughts, man. There's one particular friend of mine that will try to put other guys down when there are girls around. I never really thought about it until now, but it's typical alpha male behaviour.
My way of responding to it is being totally anti-confrontational, in my experience no-one is going to think less of you for it. Assuming you t hang around with decent people, most can see through it and get what's going on.
I beg to differ, and I even thought about it before I read this:

First part here http://ezinearticles.com/?Become-the-Alpha-Male---Characteristics-and-Traits&id=746698 ("Do not try to dominate or be forceful")

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Humans are socially complex and difficult to pin down in easy terms. I think that sometimes its insecurity, sometimes its mating agressiveness. There are often three components to any reaction, the emotional subconscious need, fully concious logical and or moral component, and biological component (instinct and hormones). All of these affect you in some way, sometimes one is stronger than the other. When you're young, you have a lot more hormones, and less overall life experience to shape a logical and moral conclusion. Additionally, emotions run strong in teens and young adults thanks to hormone influence. Even so, some people continue this youthful behavior into adulthood. I've seen it many times.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
It's my personal belief that anyone who chooses to use violence as anything more than a last resort, especially as a result of being on the receiving end of a barrage of insults or an argument where s/he finds themselves outclassed is weak. Fight words with words. If you're unable to retaliate without making it physical, walk away. Learn from said events and save the fight for another day.

For some, putting someone down verbally stems from, as you noted, the need to either prove oneself to others or to themselves. For others, it's mental sparring. That's how it is for me, anyway. Much like the journey being more important than the end goal, the argument is sometimes more appealing than actually "winning", especially when one takes a second to question what, exactly, they've won (more often than not, the answer is absolutely nothing). As previously stated, though, some people feel the need to put others down in order to raise themselves up, if only temporarily. I'd say that's due to insecurity.

The same applies to fighting, although it's usually less subtle. People who frequently find themselves in physical altercations are much like cornered animals; they do not attack out of courage, but out of fear. A deeply-rooted fear that generally stems from low self confidence. Could be from unimpressed parents, getting picked on as a child or whatever. But it's weakness. But again, some people fight just to fight. They enjoy the rush. They enjoy the journey.

For me, strength is the knowledge that yeah, I can beat this guy to a pulp if I wanted to, but I won't because it wouldn't be right. I could lose my cool and flip out on this dude talking trash to me, but that would be weakness on my part. What I could do is turn the tables and take him apart with words, destroying his morale and making him look like a moron in the process. This is my preferred route in such situations.

The guy in the avatar was Joey from The Real World.

It's so hard, bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom