HBO's "Game of Thrones"

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Says I don't want to spoil it. Spoils it anyway

Can we just discuss the TV Series and not the books to avoid spoiling the future of the show. Or at least use spoiler tags for book discussion.
Many of us haven't read them (I plan to soon)
Yeah, I agree.
Careful with the spoilers there.
Done.

I don't mind comparisons, Just don't talk about future events

Last edited:
Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Watch it.

And yes, the Reeds not being mentioned puzzle me...as well as other, minor changes. Don't want to spoil other things, but so far the little things are annoying.

For example...I don't recall Tyrion mentioning the chain links yet...and that plays a huge part in Stannis and his defeat...it took them a long time to make enough and it's going to happen any episode now and no mention of it?

Added spoiler tags -Deverz
Things in the spoiler

the final episode will involve (in my opinion)
the undying... not living up to their name
a mirror (and a nose)
a "new" character called Reek
Unknown character mentioned

Reek?

No way, 'Reek' is going to be in this season?

Ahaha!

-

Great episode, I agree, but to much was missing...

----------------

Tyrion never rode through, hacking people apart on horseback, he never had his cinematic fight on the boat, and nearly drowned...and yes, Stannis lead the fight? I found that incredibly stupid. Badass, but stupid. In the books, he was still on his ship.

There was also no chain to hold the ships from escaping, which I thought was pretty crucial.

Tyrion was badass as usual, but not as badass as the books. I guess, I mean, it works in the books, but I guess it would be abit silly to see him riding through Warriors and cutting them down like swarms of flies...but that is what made him so awesome in the book...this is the second time they did this. There was a scene where he was supposed to go into battle with the mountain tribes and kill quite a few people.

I realize, in real life, it wouldn't look nearly as badass as a book can make it sound, but they are taking away from Tyrion's awesomness, but despite that, he continues to rock out, but still lives down compared to the Book version.

Also, what is that little slash? In the damn book, he loses a piece of his nose and it's cut right down the middle and everyone says he looks like a true monster now, at the end of the episode, the cut looked shallow enough to leave a scar, but his nose certainly wasn't falling off...

I thought he didn't appear until like the 4th book, I can't remember though.
And again

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
now ask me if i care? Reek is hardly a spoiler unless you go look him up, in which case that's down to you. as far as you're concerned he's just another character. how many characters in the show who're genuinely important to the story can you actually name right now? because there are more than you might realise, there are background characters which often have more important roles than the "main" character of that particular chapter.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
It's still common courtesy to not ruin things for other people who haven't gotten that far into the story.
Things that have happened in the show, sure go ahead we already know what's going on.
Future events/people or whatever go make a different thread if you really have too.

Sure the name of 1 character of any significance isn't that bad but what Mkil did was. I had no idea Stannis was going to lose and he just goes "I don't want to spoil it, Btw Stannis gets defeated" That was a **** move

I'm pretty sure someone earlier mentioned where the dragons were taken before it aired but I can't find it.

This is an amazing series and I'm sure the books are just as good or better. Just watch what you say

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
I see most people talking about the conversion from book to screen, and how it's not connecting the two. It is called (creativity) If they took every part of the book to on screen, it would be exactly the same story as George R. R. Martins book. In my opinion, i would only have to either watch the show or read the book just to get the same story. Can't say on your behalf, but i prefer when they don't copy everything.

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I see most people talking about the conversion from book to screen, and how it's not connecting the two. It is called (creativity) If they took every part of the book to on screen, it would be exactly the same story as George R. R. Martins book. In my opinion, i would only have to either watch the show or read the book just to get the same story. Can't say on your behalf, but i prefer when they don't copy everything.
You prefer when they don't copy everything...

To a show based off the book?

I hate "Artistic license" that show makers get.

Sword of Truth, is one of my favorite book series.

The "Artistic creativity" the director got who made the TV series, destroyed it. It was horrible, they changed characters, plots, added new ones, and even some of the fundamental stuff was completely changed...small, weird stuff ,was changed as well, such as a characters hair color, which I have no idea why that was changed...

It's just that, Game of Thrones, Season 1, was about 95% accurate to the books.

So far, season 2 has been 80%. The fact that the Great Council of the Thirteen was killed and that guy wanted to become a King is a huge change...that NEVER happened in the books...but it changes SO MUCH. Things like that.

I don't want to see Season 3 be 50%.

I like the series, because I'd get to see a book series I loved, come to life. To see something else, I feel like I'd want the characters, title, and names changed, and say it had nothing to do with the books.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Like i said. . .

It was my opinion on the matter. Fair enough that people don't like the changes from the book to on screen, I was just stating that it is somewhat nice for me to see not everything is the same is all. As you have said, I also wouldn't like them to keep decreasing the percentages and completely change almost everything.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Argh!

They did it again!

In the Book, Theon and his Men fought, and it was 40, not 20. They also entirely skipped explaining HOW Winterfell was burned; which the Maester explained to Bran and Co, just gone. They also leave out some very key parts besides those...

As for Stannis, that whole choking her bit and whatnot...never happened, entirely un-needed, and they skipped the part where the Red Priestess tells Stannis it was because he left her and didn't take her to battle. Also, they left out the Onion Knight bit...

Then, christ, with Dany, they completely screwed it up. Changed almost everything, and that Xaro part made no sense, as he plays a critical role in the story later...

Then with Sam...what the frack...the order of events is like, reversed, and the White Walkers, never "ignored" him, which is frustrating, and we never saw or heard of the battle, all we saw was the aftermath in the book.

Tyrion still had his complete nose! In the book, he lost a good half of it or so; and everyone said it made him look like a ghoul. His scar is nice, but it does not make him look nearly as bad as the books described him.

Overall:

Season 1 - Incredible
Season 2 - Great
Season 3 - I hope it doesn't get worse.

Seriously...I watched the series because it was based on a book series I loved, and would like to see it come to life...

"Artistic license" is so bullshit. You bought the rights to make the books into a series...so make the books into a series...don't just use the name of the books to sell a series.

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Argh!

They did it again!

In the Book, Theon and his Men fought, and it was 40, not 20. They also entirely skipped explaining HOW Winterfell was burned; which the Maester explained to Bran and Co, just gone. They also leave out some very key parts besides those...

As for Stannis, that whole choking her bit and whatnot...never happened, entirely un-needed, and they skipped the part where the Red Priestess tells Stannis it was because he left her and didn't take her to battle. Also, they left out the Onion Knight bit...

Then, christ, with Dany, they completely screwed it up. Changed almost everything, and that Xaro part made no sense, as he plays a critical role in the story later...

Then with Sam...what the frack...the order of events is like, reversed, and the White Walkers, never "ignored" him, which is frustrating, and we never saw or heard of the battle, all we saw was the aftermath in the book.

Tyrion still had his complete nose! In the book, he lost a good half of it or so; and everyone said it made him look like a ghoul. His scar is nice, but it does not make him look nearly as bad as the books described him.

Overall:

Season 1 - Incredible
Season 2 - Great
Season 3 - I hope it doesn't get worse.

Seriously...I watched the series because it was based on a book series I loved, and would like to see it come to life...

"Artistic license" is so bullshit. You bought the rights to make the books into a series...so make the books into a series...don't just use the name of the books to sell a series.
Well, that's why they call them opinions!

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
TV and books are different formats. You can't translate one to another and be 100% faithful, changes have to be made for it to fit the medium. For example, there are a few characters which haven't been introduced yet but have been introduced by this point in the book, but the producers have said that they have every intention of including them in the story, but it's not feasible to introduce too many people too soon. They already have the largest staff on TV right now.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, but they did Season 1 about 95%, Season 2 then almost entirely changed it...

The Author himself said in an Interview he is concerned, and wishes he was allowed to direct more than 1 episode a season. He says they create a lot of issues that will have to be dealt with.

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd look for it myself, but I've already seen some spoilers while looking for articles and I'd rather not expose myself to that. Do you have a spoiler-free link to the author saying that?

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Well I have to agree with Mkillbride.

Season 1 was very accurate and because of that it was incredible. Everything was fitting together and most of things were explained pretty well. In season 2 there are literally moments when there is no explanations of centrain events and viewers who didn't read the books might be confused sometimes.

Not to mention they cutted out some plots that might grow important later when Martin will release more books. They added much more filler material and cutted so much. It seems they could put more scenes from the book than making these fillers which don't add anything into the story...

All these changed have bad impact on some characters. For example Jamie-Catelyn situation. In books Catelyn knew about supposed "deaths" of Bran & Rickon and gref over them makes her so desperate that she wanted rescue only childs she thought she have left, so she released Jamie. It was very logical move from her perspective. In show hoever she don't know anything about what happened with boys and she still release King's Slayer. She looked selfish and stupid because of that in my eyes (and proably in eyes of other viewers)

And they made Jamie so much sadistic & psychpatic character that
his later change of personality will be looking ver unrealistic and fake.

I don't mind changes I'm really don't. But why they change something for the worse if they have better solution in source material ? I never can understand that. You might say that TV & Books are separated media and we shouldn't compare them and treat like different things but I just can't...

As come to season finale, it wasn't that bad as I thought it will be. They changed so much but most frustrating part was they completely cutted out visions which plays important part in later events... Mkillbride summed everything much better than I did. I can only agree with him. I only disagree about nose part. Having just scar seems like reasonable choice. They didn't wanted actor to have heavy makeup, characterization and maybe computer effects involed to every scene with Tyrion. Scar was easier choice & better from theire perspective. I can understand why they did it like that.

Overall Season 2 wasn't good as I thought it will be. I think it was mistake they tried adapt whole Volume 2 into 10 episodes. I mean "A Clash of Kings" was significally larger than "Game of Thrones" (first volume of book series). If they would make 12 episodes it would been so much better I think. Maybe 3rd season will be better consdering they split 3rd volume for 2 seasons ? I don't have high expectations though. Martin should kick creators's asses for what they do with his life's work but I guess he don't care as lomg they pay him...

I'm only gratefull to the show that made me read book series. It's centrainly best fantasy book series I ever readed....

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly, Jaime has been made out to be a raving lunatic in the series with no concern but for himself.

Due to no inner voices, unlike the books, you can see the gradual changes coming over characters, you lose a lot of depth...

Jaimes change is going to seem incredibly forced, rather than a smooth transition like the books.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
They would have probably done that if it was fesable to put that make up on him every day

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
But it ruins so much of his jokes in the next ooks...

So many jokes did he made around his nose...

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Problem with budgets I guess

I'm getting the books soon, I will see them all then

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm considering getting the books, but I'm not sure if I should. I'm perfectly happy with the show, the only thing is it's coming too slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom