Guru Attempts to Kill Skeptic With Magic

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's the abridged version of the event:

[video=youtube;HeJVUbpF8Mg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeJVUbpF8Mg[/video]

When a famous tantric guru boasted on television that he could kill another man using only his mystical powers, most viewers either gasped in awe or merely nodded unquestioningly. Sanal Edamaruku’s response was different. “Go on then — kill me,” he said.

Mr Edamaruku had been invited to the same talk show as head of the Indian Rationalists’ Association — the country’s self-appointed sceptic-in-chief. At first the holy man, Pandit Surender Sharma, was reluctant, but eventually he agreed to perform a series of rituals designed to kill Mr Edamaruku live on television. Millions tuned in as the channel cancelled scheduled programming to continue broadcasting the showdown, which can still be viewed on YouTube.

First, the master chanted mantras, then he sprinkled water on his intended victim. He brandished a knife, ruffled the sceptic’s hair and pressed his temples. But after several hours of similar antics, Mr Edamaruku was still very much alive — smiling for the cameras and taunting the furious holy man.

“He was over, finished, completely destroyed!” Mr Edamaruku chuckles triumphantly as he concludes the tale in the Rationalist Centre, his second-floor office in the town of Noida, just outside Delhi.
When the guru’s initial efforts failed, he accused Mr Edamaruku of praying to gods to protect him. “No, I’m an atheist,” came the response. The holy man then said he needed to conduct a ritual that could only be done at night, outdoors, and after he had slept with a woman, drunk alcohol and rubbed himself in ash.

The men agreed to go to an outdoor studio that night — all to no avail. At midnight, the anchor declared the contest over. Reason had prevailed.
Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7067989.ece

Force Pit Member
Best answers
You do realize the chances the guru really believed he CAN do that are close to zero. This is probably an advertising gimmick

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You do realize the chances the guru really believed he CAN do that are close to zero. This is probably an advertising gimmick
The "guru" probably didn't believe he could do what he claimed, especially considering that he seemed to be coming up with things to do with his hands on the spot, from first merely waving his hands around, then eventually touching and rubbing the skeptic.

However, whether or not the "guru" believed he could kill anyone by using magic is irrelevant, so long as he's able to convince others that he can do it.

And, I don't understand what you meant by, "this is probably an advertising gimmick."

Force Pit Member
Best answers
He tries to make a name for himself. Like a plastic surgeon showing up on Oprah, or some chef. Getting clients

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That makes about as much sense as trying to shove a cat through a mail slot.

Best answers
He tries to make a name for himself. Like a plastic surgeon showing up on Oprah, or some chef. Getting clients
No that would be more like a chef showing up on Oprah and making horrible food, or a plastic surgeon botching a surgery live.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Yes, let's get clients by ****ing up on TV.
He didn't expect someone to volunteer, in my assumption. I believe his plan got ruined by this guy's challenge. Thing is he didn't expect someone to actually volunteer and say kill me.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He didn't expect someone to volunteer, in my assumption. I believe his plan got ruined by this guy's challenge. Thing is he didn't expect someone to actually volunteer and say kill me.
Exactly.

It's no different than what happened here:

[video=youtube;7CASghTzNhc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CASghTzNhc[/video]

The claims of these individuals are entirely dependent on the ignorance of their audience. It's similar to magic in that regard, though magicians usually don't claim that what they do is anything but a trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom