GTA IV - Controversy Already?

Which Dragonball Z mod is better? (NO BIAS PLEASE)

• Earth's Special Forces

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Mod Z

• what the $@#% is Earth's Special Forces??

• what the #@$& is Dragon Mod Z??

• Total voters
Best answers
They should just quit making GTA and any other game like it.. The formula is getting old and it's time for something new.. I never liked the 3D versions of GTA, mainly for the reasons Pride mentioned before, but also because they bore the hell out of me.

And even if you're a fan of the series, you have to admit that Rockstar keeps adding controverse to the games and that's what pulls in quite a big chunk of fans/players (not the only reason ofc, gameplay etc are good (if you like that style anyway)), just so they can get free publicity (like this thread)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just because some of you don't like it doesn't mean any of us aren't allowed to enjoy them.

All you see is the violence and murder.

I see witty dialogue, lots of things to do (minigames, missions, side-missions, collectables, etc), I see interesting, amusing characters and a vast world to roam in, explore, and manipulate.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing I felt that was "too far" for Rockstar that I can remember is when they 'accidentally' put the hot coffee mod in. Everything else that you HAD to do was like "oh snap I gotta do that?" or just normal.

And the notion that GTA should be ashamed and destroyed because it "defames New York" is biased. It just happens to take place in NYC. If it happened in Mexico City, or any other non-US major City, I am curious to whether the same flak would come about?

Take a look at 24. Each season takes place in the Los Angeles area. **** goes down all the time in 24, yet I don't see LA as a terrorist hotspot.

Prison Break has depicted some of the 'loose laws' in Panama, yet I haven't heard anything about Prison Break giving Panama a bad rep.

Gangsta Rappers constantly refer to cities of where they grew up and how hard they were, which to me, is ****ing up inner cities worst than GTA.

Again, the only reason GTA is getting this is because it has a history of controversy, so it makes it easier. It's like automatically blaming the fat kid if all the food is gone. I mean the only controversy so far is that it happens to take place in a major US City that has crime, but doesn't want it glorified. These officials seem to only know aout GTA through uncredible secondary sources.

But I do think I will see Spiderman I go to New York.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If New York can speak out publicly about this then so can I.

This is a screenshot from GTA: London;

We are not as low-res as the game depicts, it should be pulled from the shelves (had I not been holding on to this joke for eight years).

Chakra-X said:
If it happened in Mexico City, or any other non-US major City, I am curious to whether the same flak would come about?
Gamespot said:
Set in Ju?rez, Mexico, and El Paso, Texas, GRAW2 follows an elite combat unit battling Mexican rebels in the year 2014. Earlier this month, the mayor of Ju?rez, a city in Chihuahua on the Mexican-American border, criticized the game sharply, saying it instilled poor values and portrayed his town's people as violent.
Source.

If you want controversy, Manhunt is worse than GTA in every concievable way.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Manhunt looks better than GTA o_O.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hope the Arab in NYC theme was a joke... considering it was close to April Fools when the trailer was released.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh. Huh, I thought he was Russian for some reason?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's either Arab, Russian, or Eastern European... who knows.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm pretty sure he's Russian, he sounds and looks more Russian (possibly Turkish) than Arabic.

Having an Arab flying planes into American buildings might be a bit too controversial, even for Rockstar.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Geez. They're being obnoxious if they can't deal with a game being made in a PARODY of New York. It's not like it's supposed to be an actually accurate representation of it or something. It's not like GTA hasn't ALREADY taken place in existent cities (as has been pointed out). You're not supposed to believe what happens in the game is the gospel truth or some crap.

New York gets a lot of flak about crime and etc. and they're all sensitive because they got hit by some airplanes... whatever. Some people look at New York like it's the modern Rome, what do the "officials" care about? GTA4 won't change a thing.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd just like to point out that GTA3 also took place in New York...so yeah. No biggy.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd just like to point out that GTA3 also took place in New York...so yeah. No biggy.
Really? I thought it took place on three islansd with made up names. Like "Portland" and what not.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was Liberty City, and happened to have boroughs.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Liberty City = New York (GTA, GTA: London, GTA 2, GTA III, GTA IV)
Vice City = Miami (GTA: Vice City)
San Andreas = Los Angeles (GTA: San Andreas)

ALL of the games were based on real cities (or parodies thereof, thanks Hitokiri).

Best answers
Yeah, Early pictures from GTA3 will show that the game used to have the blue NYPD cars (but they were changed black due to a certain incident)

Best answers
Geez. They're being obnoxious if they can't deal with a game being made in a PARODY of New York. It's not like it's supposed to be an actually accurate representation of it or something. It's not like GTA hasn't ALREADY taken place in existent cities (as has been pointed out). You're not supposed to believe what happens in the game is the gospel truth or some crap.

New York gets a lot of flak about crime and etc. and they're all sensitive because they got hit by some airplanes... whatever. Some people look at New York like it's the modern Rome, what do the "officials" care about? GTA4 won't change a thing.
Exactly the only ones that could take this game seriously are people that either shouldn't play the game, people less than age 19, 18?, or people that haven't actually played the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pride, do you always have to stir the pot in every single GTA thread? Do you get some quasi-masturbatory pleasure out of reminding us that you loathe the GTA series, seemingly unjustifiably, and claim that its popularity is because wannabe gangsters run IGN and Gamespot?

The whole routine is actually getting pretty tired.

Not to mention, you used to throw temper-tantrums when ever anyone bashed Sony, and yet you seem to love tearing up one of its most popular franchises, we're bored, find something else to whine about.
Yeah. Everyone's allowed to have an opinion but me, right? There's a difference between opinions and ignorance. Thanks for reminding me why I don't come here anymore.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah. Everyone's allowed to have an opinion but me, right? There's a difference between opinions and ignorance. Thanks for reminding me why I don't come here anymore.
That's hilarious Pride, you troll the very section you pride (no pun intended) yourself on cleaning up, and throw a tantrum when someone calls you on it.

This thread was about GTA:IV causing controversy in New York City, and without fail, you jump in to tell us all it's going to suck anyways, so it doesn't even matter. Was the title of this thread "Will GTA 4 suck, thoughts and opinions?" Nope, it sure wasn't, so what your comment has to do with the intended topic, is beyond me. In fact, I'm sure I could dig up a comment by you, in every single GTA thread, saying the exact same thing. It's a good thing GTA topics aren't few and far between, or else we all might forget how you really feel.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually I told the two sides of things who were starting to get heated to chill out. Then someone decided to get on a soapbox. So how about we both drop it and let these people get on with their thread, eh?

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alrighty then, we're going to go ahead and calm it down a notch. Just a little bit. Just a tad. A little lower. Better yet, just stop. There we go, there we go... Good. Now let's keep it there, mmk?

Nothing to see here, move along, move along...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom