Graphics card for graphics(did I just say graphics twice? xD)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
OK im building a computer for someone and he is about to take a course of graphics. Now im not sure if there is a certain type of graphic cards or some graphic card level that need so it will work good with a graphic making software.

All the 3D stuff. Now which card type I need, like any other gaming cards, a special cards, not as good as gaming cards but still good. HELP MEEHEHHHEHH please!!

I don't know anything about the right card for graphics software, I need to know with the current level of programs, which kind of card do I need and as well certain models which will do the job. The budget for the card is 100$ maximum.

I don't want only the card models but I wanna know GENERALLY which type and level I need.

Thanks you!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you need graphic cards for 3d modelling programs and such, you are looking for either the nVidia Quadro series or the ATI FireGL series. These are cards based on the gaming cards, but are optimized (and have special optimized drivers) for graphical work. Other than that I cannot tell you much about the differences between ATI and nVidia on this one, I expect nVidia has slightly better cards.

You might want to check this out:

http://www2.pny.com/QuadroPDFs/product_chart.pdf

It provides basic specs of the current Quadro series. The further down the line, the better but also more expensive.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
so like, an HD 4850 won't work? or be a smart choice?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It would work, no doubt about that. But those cards are specifically made for either providing basic graphic support (being able to see something on your screen) to HD processing (most newer cards take a lot of load of your CPU to render HD movies) to gaming. And are not specifically made for graphical processes such as rendering. If you ever make a 1 million poly model, and attempt to render it, the Quadro of FireGL series will likely do this much faster. Then again, if your friend is just starting out, he might not need such a graphical card yet anyway.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
OK so my options are quadro FX 570 256MB PCI-E

Or Radeon HD 4850 512mb pci-e

what will be smarter?

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What type of work will you be doing exactly?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Not me, but nothing like milkshape or modeling. hmm more like, hmm when you can create 3d psychedelic stuff, or like they do in dream works, 3D scenes(movie shrek for example)

3D pictures as well

Force Pit Member
Best answers
lol I dunno much about graphics, but you know like people do 3D pictures.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Is your buddy gonna be doing any gaming on the system? if so go with the HD 4850. If the system is gonna be more of a graphics workstation go with a Quadro.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That 3d abstract render is perfectly possible with the HD Ati, it just will render faster with a Quadro. However, if you seriously plan on going to make a movie of some sort like Shrek, you will really want to start thinking about a workstation graphical card such as the Quadro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom