Got bored..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got bored and made a new computer. Tell me what you think should be changed if anything needs to be.

Note: Money is not an issue and I am only sticking with one video card.

Motherboard:
ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

Video Card:
TI 100-435805 Radeon X1900XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16

RAM:
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory
(I don't know if I can go past PC 3200 or not. If I can, then I can get WAY better)

Hard Drive:
OS - Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Normal - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

This should be one kick ass system when all things are done.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
got the money? If so....come 'round back. I've got some raaaaare things on sale, strange'a

.....but seriously. It looks ok to me.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't believe AMD mobos support DDR2 yet. There may be one or two new ones, but I haven't heard of any. So you've got to go Intel if you want the faster RAM. Or just hold off until the DDR2 AMD mobos come out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
I don't believe AMD mobos support DDR2 yet. There may be one or two new ones, but I haven't heard of any. So you've got to go Intel if you want the faster RAM. Or just hold off until the DDR2 AMD mobos come out.
Dance Dance Revolution 2 came out for the computer? Sweet

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thank you Growler. You always say the right thing.

@SailorAlea: I hear Intel isn't as good as AMD for gaming so thats why I went with AMD. Im not going to buy the stuff yet, so I could hold out if I wanted to.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Growler said:
Dance Dance Revolution 2 came out for the computer? Sweet
Warning for spam. Let it be known that this will be your final warning on this board, Growler. You've slipped under our radar for far too long, and thanks to all of your warnings and bans to this point I can permanently erase you if you should choose to continue your rulebreaking from this point forward. We have hundreds of users that can post here without accumulating warnings ad infinitum, why can't you?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
The next line of AMDs will (AM2), but they're being delayed for a while due to a pretty major flaw in the processors themselves.

KidBoy17 said:
I got bored and made a new computer. Tell me what you think should be changed if anything needs to be.

Note: Money is not an issue and I am only sticking with one video card.

Motherboard:
ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
Fine.

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
If money is no issue, why not go for an X2 4800+?

Video Card:
TI 100-435805 Radeon X1900XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16
Fine.

RAM:
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory
(I don't know if I can go past PC 3200 or not. If I can, then I can get WAY better)
You can buy past PC3200 speeds just fine. Anything over 200MHz will be lowered down to it, though. But it would definitely allow room for overclocking if you ever got into that sort of thing.

Hard Drive:
OS - Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Normal - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Fine.

But... we're your PSU? It's the most important core part of the system. Antec is always good, so the Smiff-Fairy will give you this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

It'll be pricey, that's for sure, but it'll also be a very deadly machine to game with.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Hard Drive:
Tell me what OS stands for and why having two hdd's?

p.s. 500gb :O!!! If I died yesterday I wouldnt know this existed!!!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Os = operating system. One harddrive has windows on it and the other harddrive has everyting else. This makes windows boot up really fast.

@Smith: Is the x2, two processors or one? I heard you only would want two cpu's if you run more the one game at a time or host multiple serves.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Id guess hes putting his OS on that HD, and the rest of his stuff on the 500 GB one. Im not sure though, imaginary computers arent my speciality.

Well... there you have it. Beat me to it. BTW, why only one GPU? If money is no object, why not be a whore and go for a 4 card SLI dealy?

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sorry for asking this here (last question) but whats the cheapest (OS) hdd to buy with that 10,000rpm tastyness?
(I dont need some fancy stuff, just to make meh comp boogey)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Os = operating system. One harddrive has windows on it and the other harddrive has everyting else. This makes windows boot up really fast.

@Smith: Is the x2, two processors or one? I heard you only would want two cpu's if you run more the one game at a time or host multiple serves.
It's two processor cores bundled into one package. It's the same size as a normal CPU, but it has two cores bundles together inside. It fits in just one Socket 939 slot =). If a program is multithreaded, then each processor can perform certain different tasks, theoretically offering ~90% increase in speed. If it's not multithreaded, then it'll be about the same speed as if you were using only one processor.

Quake 4 is a multithreaded game, and it offers tremendous performance boosts with more than one processor.
dendza said:
sorry for asking this here (last question) but whats the cheapest (OS) hdd to buy with that 10,000rpm tastyness?
(I dont need some fancy stuff, just to make meh comp boogey)
Microsoft has different versions of Windows you can buy if you'd like one. Linux is(?) free.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wrong answer dude

I asked for hdd price, not operation system price D:
I use windows xp btw if it helps you answer me...

This is his thread, so let's both try not to get too off-topic. If you want a quick drive, the raptor (that's what he's getting) from Western Digital is a nice drive. Just go with that.

If you don't mind, just keep editing this post with 'replies' or PM me, as I'd like for his thread to remain his thread. ~Smith|

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why not get the Raptor150 if money is no object to you =P.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136012 - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $281.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144200 - the same model as the drive you listed up there, the only difference is it's $49 cheaper =P.

If your'e getting an ATI gfx card then pair it along with a mainboard with an ati chipset that has crossfire, so in the future you could add a 2nd card to your system saving you some money. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136165 - DFI LanParty UT RDX200 CF-DR Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $154.

Also do as smith advised you to do and get a dual core processor instead. This dual core Athlon X2 4200+ was only about $25 then a single core 4000+ & the X2 3800+, witch is also a dual core chip was also cheaper then a single core 4000+ - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX - Retail $360 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103547

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The 150 model has 16mb of cache compared to the 36/74 model's 8mb of cache =P.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
The 150 model has 16mb of cache compared to the 36/74 model's 8mb of cache =P.
Once again...
Because it's only his OS drive, and he doesn't need 150GB for an OS drive.
Not to mention the 16MB cache is most likely to off-set the penalty of increased search time for the larger size.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith is correct on this and the reason why I wouldn't go with a cross fire chipset is because I wouldn't need a second video card. I heard from a reliable source that having a second card can sometimes slow down your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom