GCN Outsells 360 in Japan

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I mean is, in Japan, a game about a dinosaur who flies a biplane and shoots pink clouds to fight environment-destroying robots from planet jupiter is a perfectly normal thing and is far more interesting than say, a Metal Gear Solid type of game. In one audience it is about creating new fantasies and the other audience it is about fulfilling longtime traditional fantasies. I want to be a giant mech, I play Chromehounds; I want to be a spy, I play MGS; I want to be a gun-wielding maniac, I play an FPS; I want to be a soldier in WWII, I play Call of Duty. On the other side of the fence we see that at no point in my life before or after the invention of video games did I want to be an obese plumber who hops on giant turtles in a world full of mushrooms. Did that make the games bad? No, of course not, they were plenty good and I played the **** out of all the old school Nintendo stuff just the same. But modern games give me the option to be something I have always wanted to be, or something I never imagined I could be. Different people have different taste, is all I'm saying.

(For the record I still think Japan is weird as hell, though).

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just think there's a difference of culture, Pride--it's not that the Japanese are especially weird. They probably think some of our games (Psychonauts, Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Monkey Island, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc..) are pretty strange.

It's all a matter of perspective. There are just hit-or-misses, things that (seem to) appeal to most everybody--Pokemon and DBZ for 'their' side, The Sims, Grand Theft Auto and World of Warcraft on ours.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Note that I didn't claim what Pineapple said, however those are the exceptions rather than the rule. "Enchanted Arms" has been hailed as a pretty mediocre RPG--(7.1/10 gamespot, 7.6/10 IGN, even 'Official X-Box Magazine' rated it as a 6.5/10)

Also note that the fighting games you mentioned, with the exception of DOA4, are either remakes or clones from other systems.
i see waht your saying, i was just poitning out to people that, despite what pineapple said, there are indeed RPG's and plenty of non sports games that are good available on the xbox systems.

as for the fihgting games, just because they are on other systems doesn't lessen the fact that they are available on the xbox. Pineapple was saying that there aren't any fighters for the xbox because they are japanese, when in fact there are several japanese fighters available, and those were just off the top of my head. I find a double standard here a lot, i never here people say 'Also note that the fighting games you mentioned, with the exception of KoF, are either remakes or clones from other systems.' when they are talking about ps2, only when people taalk about x box(is king of fighters even PS2 exclusive?). They are just as available on both systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom