Gameplay Problem Since Release-Unsolved

Best answers
Hi, I've posted the question before, maybe someone can try and figure it out again. Been having this problem since 1.2 was released.

Ok..( done this many times) I've installed Halflife. I download and install the 1.1.1.0 patch. Install esf 1.2. Now, half the time I've done it, I DID NOT get an option for steam or won version. When It does give me a choice, i Choose WON and install esf.

Everything else from here has been the same every damn time. When i go to open it from the shortcut, it asks for steam.exe. So i change the path to
c:\sierra\half-life\hl.exe -game esf -console
and now when i start up, it looks just like it did in ESF 1.1. However, when i go to load a LAN game, it gives me Halfllife maps, not ESF maps, and I have loaded into the Halflife maps and Goku flying around in an undefined boundary bunker isnt fun. So then i proceed to copy and paste the ESF maps to the HL map folder; then the maps appear in game, and I can choose to load to them.

The fun isn't over yet though. Everytime, I load the game, it has a HL loading screen, and it says some errors loading the game in the bottom left corner, and when it loads the game, either in the ESF maps, or HL maps, the game is really distorted graphics wise. It seems to be at 640 x 480 resolution, and I have changed the resolution of the game to all the options it gives me, but it still stays at what looks like 640 x 480 resolution. *When I start the game and im Going through the menus and such, it has the look of ESF, but the settings and such things as player are geared towards HL.

I've taken alot of advice and done alot of crap to make this work. I had new drivers for my Geforce 4 MX 420 and it was like this. I got a new video card, a Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB with new drivers, and it's still the same. I've installed HL and ESF atleat a dozen times. I just want to be able to play it via LAN, not connected to the net, as my copper wire, 56k connection can't handle it.

Any thoughts on what to do? I'm becoming extremely pissed off and really would like to play this game. If you have some insight please post, I don't know what left to do.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To fix the map problem:
rightclick on the ESF shortcut and then click on properties. In the Start In box, write C:\sierra\half-life (Your hl directory) and then click ok.
Sounds like you have the target box fine.

Try also running the game in opengl mode - are you running in software?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game wasn't designed for WON, it was designed and tested on Steam only, that's the only possible explanation I have for it. That being said, WON is completely unsupported. I really hope someone can help you with this, but their will be no official support or resolution of this bug with WON.

Best answers
not supported by WON? Damn. I'll have to install HL and ESF again and try that "start in" thing orion suggested, then illl post with results. Have to go to work for now.

Best answers
Orion man, it worked!!!! It solved all my problems including the resolution problem. Only thing it didn't fix was the distorted graphics, which, me changing to Direct 3D fixed that. THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I've been waiting forever to get this to work, thank you very much!!!!!

Before I leave, i got on quick question for you guys, how to you get the mp3 player play when game starts?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No problem :)

go to your console, and type cl_mp3player 1

then press f8 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom