Game "spikes"

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not too sure how to explain it. But I'll do so the best way possible.

First of all. My computer never did this back in Rhode Island. Not to my knowledge. But here is the problem. When I play any game. Any what so ever. Whether it be ESF, Doom 3, Max Payne, or even just Half-Life. Every once in a while the game will "pause" for about a second and the computer will roar like it's working really hard. Kind of like trying to go 60 m.p.h in first gear. And then after about a minute or two, the computer goes back down to silent. Also, the "pause." My screen will stay still for a second, but even though on my screen it stays still, it doesn't in game. Because after that second, I'm somewhere else. Like, I'll be at point A, and if I want to get to point B, that pause, will get me there instintaniously. If I move forward that is. It screws me up in many games.

Like in ESF, that one pause, is usually the death of me, because I can't move, because I can't see what's happening. Now you are probably thinking "Pfft, 1 second? That's nothing" No, it's something. Most of the time I'm hit from skilled players, is because of that. And I want it to go away. It did it with both my 5200 fx and my 6800GT, ruling out video cards. It never did it in RI. Which doesn't make sense to me.

This happens usually once ever 3 or 4 minutes. It doesn't freeze up like that when going down from "roaring" to "silent".

Specs:
Intel Pentium 4
Windows XP Home SP2
3.4 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 6800GT OC
1 gb ram
250 gb HD.

Any suggestions?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Cough* Get a new cooler <_< (yeah, i editted my post).

I only spike in games that run on steam, so I'll consider myself lucky.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ur cpu is overheating :S. Either clean the Cooler or get a new cooler (i suggest to get a new one)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why should I get a new one? It's never done this before. Up until I moved. And I had my entire computer cleaned out. It's clean. Trust me.

I'm not getting a new cooler, there's just no way, I don't have the money. Also. How can it be the cooler if this didn't happen before?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well guess what, hardware breaks or wears down -_- Just get some cpu temperature measuring software and see what ur temperature is.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or he could just slap on some artic silver for the time being ;).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
55ºC

Again, I don't have the money to spend on my computer.

And my previous computer lasted longer then this.

And, it happens out side of games as well. I just realized this.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Where you moved to might be hotter than where you were previously, besides, Heatsinks and Fans arent that expensive, i got a nice copperplated one last year for like 13 quid = ~19 dollars

i also noticed in your specs, that your gfx card has OC next. Im guessing you mean youve overclocked it? If you have, reset its speed back to its default/recommended speed, there isnt really much need to overclock you graphics card; its powerful enough :/

btw P4s shouldnt really be that high; id expect that kind of temperature from an Athlon XP, not a Pentium 4

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
K, well yes, you're right it is hotter. 90ºF roughly. So if you think that. Do you think during the winter time it will not do it, or not do it as often?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if u open up all windows and doors or set ur pc outside the house then it shouldnt o_O

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spyware doesnt make anyone's computer screech so loudly, it makes you want to barf.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not spyware. If it is, it's something Microsoft Anitspyware, ad-aware SE, or Norton can't pick up. I guess I'll just have to live with it until I get enough money to afford a new cooler. A mod can close this if they want.

Best answers
Hold on, how hot does it run when your playing games? that doesn't make any sense to me, if it was overheating wouldn't the computer rev up high at all times instead of every 3 or 4 minutes? do all of your fans rev up high or just your cpu fan?

Best answers
Sounds like your power supply is dieing. The PSU is sending incorrect voltages, thus causing the "random freezing" and the loud "roaring" your fans are making.

Best answers
I've seen my freinds computer do that also, its like your processer isn't handling it. It's when a lot of things come into the screen at the same time, and then your computer has to go into like overdrive or something, but his is a ****n e-machine, so his sucks. You might be getting the same problem, though. I don't know how to fix it, or how to help.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a 400 w power supply :(

Anyway I might be able to fix that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom