Game closes when I create a server

Best answers
It's that simple...
On the Christmas beta, as soon as I enter in the data to create a server, the game shuts down to the desktop.
When I try to join a server, regardless of which I choose, my dll's always differ so I can't play.
I had a similar startup problem when I had the first 1.3 open source beta, in that whenever I actually got into a server (or created my own), the game would close as soon as I selected my team and character.
I'm using steam, I'm on the Christmas Beta, and I've no viruses or spyware to muddle in my gaming. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Oh, and if I've not given quite enough information, just ask me and I'll be able to tell you...I don't remember the answer to a certain question until I'm asked, if that makes any sense ;).

Mog

Best answers
Where did you download from? Maybe the download file was bad.
This one works fine - http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/;83299

As long as you've previously run Half-Life through Steam once- before trying to play ESF... and install just the Open Beta without modifying or adding anything, and don't change any settings... then it should probably have worked.

Also, do the full download of the Open Beta Christmas release, not the patch.

I know the Open Beta doesn't work properly without Steam, but you said you are using Steam, so that is not the problem.

Did you get any error messages?

Best answers
No error messages, the game just closes out to my desktop.
You said to just install the open source beta?
What I did was install version 1.2.3, then put the beta over top of it.
The first open source beta I used (the one released on 2/17/07) had no troubles playing, unless I took too long to select my team and character (then it would close out to the desktop, with a little "attempting to communicate with server" bar).
I've only been getting the full installs of the open beta, but one thing I was noticing is that none of them have an option to directly install. It's like they're patches, only really freaking huge ones...around 300 megabytes. Could that be the problem, or am I missing something?
As for error messages, the only one I've ever gotten was from the game itself when I tried to join a server;
Your .dll differs from the server's. Connection lost.
or something like that.
Also, even though it won't matter until I start playing, none of the bot editors work anymore.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No error messages, the game just closes out to my desktop.
You said to just install the open source beta?
What I did was install version 1.2.3, then put the beta over top of it.
The first open source beta I used (the one released on 2/17/07) had no troubles playing, unless I took too long to select my team and character (then it would close out to the desktop, with a little "attempting to communicate with server" bar).
I've only been getting the full installs of the open beta, but one thing I was noticing is that none of them have an option to directly install. It's like they're patches, only really freaking huge ones...around 300 megabytes. Could that be the problem, or am I missing something?
As for error messages, the only one I've ever gotten was from the game itself when I tried to join a server;
or something like that.
Also, even though it won't matter until I start playing, none of the bot editors work anymore.

You get the DLL message cause you installed the open beta the wrong way.

http://esforces.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68059

Read that for an explanation.

There is no problem with the installs. We dont create installrs cause that would be well not needed. All you need to do is extract the rar file into half life and overwrite everything ^^

In any case does this happen when trying to load a certain map or every time. Allso what Graphics mode are you using?

Best answers
Ha ha...yeah I screwed up. Before I even came back here, I uninstalled the entire ESF mod, then I reinstalled it and got the open beta back by just extracting everything to the ESF folder. I'm not having any trouble with it now...but thanks! Yeah, I slowly started to realize that I did something wrong when I remembered how I installed it in the first place.

Mog

Best answers
Glad to see you got it working. :)

Best answers
Yeah, thanks for your help, guys! I'm half way decent at trouble shooting, but sometimes there's that one thing I don't check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom