Galaxy S vs iPhone 4

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Anywho, there are sales, and I can get 1 of these 2 smartphones. Galaxy has bigger screen - I want to watch futurama on that **** :p

Thing is, I really want to do some cool gaming on the smartphone as i've seen smartphones have graphics like PS2 nowadays.

So, Galaxy has android which has some freeware and Apple costs money. So which should I get for gaming? Are there iPhone exclusive titles? Or most developers publish for the 2 systems?

Note: I get one of the phones for free.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
lol iphones and ipod touches, are they really even devices or pure solid JUNK.

Get the Xperia play, it can run minecraft so its gooooooooooooooooooooooood.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get an iPhone. More games, support, productivity/organizational apps, and integration than anyone else and it's only a matter of time something like minecraft gets on the App store.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would suggest you wait a couple of months. Iphone 5 will be released in September, which makes all the current iphones drop in price.
On a side note, you should slap yourself for considering an Iphone over a Galaxy S phone. The latter is superior in almost every way.

So, Galaxy has android which has some freeware and Apple costs money. So which should I get for gaming? Are there iPhone exclusive titles? Or most developers publish for the 2 systems?
Android is the bigger system, so more companies will focus in that for gaming.
Galaxy S, hardware wise, also is better then the Iphone 4.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He said he can get one of the two smartphones for free.
As Prozac well said i recommend the Samsung Galaxy S too.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
(Assuming you are talking about the first Samsung Galaxy S, and not II.)

I have used both phones, and my Dad recently sold his Samsung Galaxy S and replaced it with an iPhone 4.

The two phones, and more importantly their mobile operating systems, are very very different from each other. And unless you belong to one of the biased fanboy groups, I would carefully consider what I was planning on using the phone for before getting one.

You say that you would like to game on your phone, but are you the type who is alright with spending money on apps to get a better experience? Here's how I feel about both phones, based on personal experience:

iPhone 4
+ Overall superior smartphone experience
+ Fluid software, never breaks, everything just works. It's the little things in every built-in app, great attention to detail to give the user a very polished experience.
+ Insanely huge library of apps (including games), but many companies and developers make their living off such apps. So you would have to pay for the better and more commercial ones. Example: Capcom ported Super Street Fighter IV for the iPhone 4, and it costs $5 to buy the app.
+ Higher screen resolution (number of pixels) with the retina display. Here's a screenshot from my phone. Combine the high resolution with software and graphics designed specifically for it, and you get a very pleasing visual experience.
+ Very clear 720p HD video recording
- You are locked into Apple's ecosystem unless you decide to jailbreak. If you like ultimate geeky freedom, being able to use your phone as a USB drive, changing anything and everything, well you're out of luck with the default version of iOS.
- I believe the phone is more expensive

Samsung Galaxy S
+ Complete freedom of the Android operating system. You can change anything and everything if you read enough.
+ You can install and run emulators for old console systems to game using ROM files.
+ Amazon's App Store (if you are in the US), an excellent and reliable platform for purchasing apps.
- Relatively dwarfed app library
- The phone, outside of Google's built in apps, lacks a lot of software polish. The phone may hang, and apps may crash.
Note: If I were you and I had a Galaxy S, I'd get rid of Samsung's custom firmware and replace it with the stripped-down native Google experience (like in the Nexus One, or Nexus S).

The Xperia play is another option if you are into mobile gaming and want to avoid using on-screen touch controls.

Last edited:
Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think Iphone is a hacking device. MOST people use it to hack other people's iphone and steal their account from them.

So, believe me nerds always do that.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I have used both phones, and my Dad recently sold his Samsung Galaxy S and replaced it with an iPhone 4.

The two phones, and more importantly their mobile operating systems, are very very different from each other. And unless you belong to one of the biased fanboy groups, I would carefully consider what I was planning on using the phone for before getting one.

You say that you would like to game on your phone, but are you the type who is alright with spending money on apps to get a better experience? Here's how I feel about both phones, based on personal experience:

iPhone 4
+ Fluid software, never breaks, everything just works. It's the little things in every built-in app, great attention to detail to give the user a very polished experience.
+ Insanely huge library of apps (including games), but many companies and developers make their living off such apps. So you would have to pay for the better and more commercial ones. Example: Capcom ported Super Street Fighter IV for the iPhone 4, and it costs $5 to buy the app.
+ Higher screen resolution (number of pixels) with the retina display. Here's a screenshot from my phone. Combine the high resolution with software and graphics designed specifically for it, and you get a very pleasing visual experience.
- You are locked into Apple's ecosystem unless you decide to jailbreak. If you like ultimate geeky freedom, being able to use your phone as a USB drive, changing anything and everything, well you're out of luck with the default version of iOS.

Samsung Galaxy S
+ Complete freedom of the Android operating system. You can change anything and everything if you read enough.
+ You can install and run emulators for old console systems to game using ROM files.
+ Amazon's App Store (if you are in the US), an excellent and reliable platform for purchasing apps.
- The phone, outside of Google's built in apps, lacks a lot of software polish. The phone may hang, and apps may crash.
Note: If I were you and I had a Galaxy S, I'd get rid of Samsung's custom firmware and replace it with the stripped-down native Google experience (like in the Nexus One, or Nexus S).

The Xperia play is another option if you are into mobile gaming and want to avoid using on-screen touch controls.
Excellent summary, I'm no fan of Apple or Apple products, but I can't argue that they've put a superior product on the market. I personally believe most of the iPhone haters are just people who generally dislike Apple.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

iPhone 4

Samsung Galaxy S

For a person who's used both phones, I find your mark up rather one sided. Naming several points on the Iphone side, while showing a meager list on the galaxy S side.

Your first two plus points are very opinionated personal statements. Point two might be debatable, point one isn't. the overall superior smart phone experience? C'mon, you don't use those sort of biased lines in a comparison..

Point three. The the android market is a bit smaller. However it has over 200.000 apps in it. Apple sits around 400.000. Basically when you have a good app on the android market, you'll have a copy on in the apple store, and vice versa. There are more android users, so basing this on demand and supply, the android store will eventually outgrow the apple store.
Bigger doesn't mean better. When you have 200.000 apps available, you'll have a few gems surrounded by ****. The same is true for 400.000 on the otherside.

Point four. The iphone has a higher resolution, yes. But the screen is also 15%~ smaller. This is going to be hard to show on a youtube video, but take a look at this one.
[video=youtube;HODhXCfcf4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODhXCfcf4c[/video]
The samsung screen is brighter, the colors are more vibrant and if you compare the small print. You see that the characters are readable. In the Iphones defence, it's an LCD screen and they don't perform as well at tilting angles. I would really advice you to go to a local electronics store and just watch both screens. The extra pixels which the Iphone offer are best used while reading a book/website. Pixel wise, you won't notice a difference while watching movies. The Galaxy S has better colors and viewing angle though, which is something you do tend to notice. The reason you don't notice the difference in pixels that much, when you're watching a movie, is due too movement and the relative small screen. If you pause, and look up close, the Iphone does have the best quality, No argument there. This is really a personal preference though. personally, I'd go for the iphone in the screen department, mostly because the vibrant colors really do their magic in a comparison. Alone, both phones produce amazing quality images, and I'd rather have the higher resolution, compared to more vivid colors.

Point five. Very clear recording on 720p, at 30 frames a second, -just like the Galaxy S-.
Galaxy S offers more functionality and higher quality pictures, while the Iphone has a flasher. On a side note, This is the first camera that can be called decent on a Iphone though!
Quality wise, the Galaxy S takes the best shots. When it's getting dark, the Iphone over takes it. When it actually is night, both cameras are crap. Still, when you come home late at night and might be slightly intoxicated, the led flasher is amazing! ;)

Cons you might have missed are less supported formats. on the Iphone, h.264, Mpeg 4 while the Galaxy S supports - Divx 3, DivX 4, DivX 5, DivX 6, h.263, h.264, mkv, wmv, xvid
Only bluetooth 2.3 on the Iphone, Galaxy S uses Bluetooth 3.0. Iphone also loses in the battery department, and lacks a slot for an SD card.

The Iphone does have superior built quality in my opinion though. They both can take a hit, but the Iphone feels more robust. The plastic kinda makes it feel cheap.

When it comes to intergration. If you us apple products, go for the Iphone, no doubt. Everything syncs, it's amazing. If you're a windows user, I would advice Android. Mostly because it's more open to windows products and ofcourse anything related to google(All hail our future overlords, google.).

[Anti apple]A plus on the Galaxy S department also might be that samsung doesn't track your every day movement like apple does. [/anti apple]

Last edited:
Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My post was a personal take on the two phones based on experience with both. If someone uses two products (initially with an unbiased frame of mind), and ends up getting a much better experience with one of them, then that will most certainly reflect in said person's comments.

I am not going to respond to your points individually, but cool. I think it's healthy for the opening poster to get a diverse range of opinions; it should help him make an informed decision in the end. :3

P.S. - Video format support doesn't really mean much in the long run due to software decoding. I use the VLC app to play stuff on my iPhone (from h.264 anime in the mkv container to regular avi xvid video).

Last edited:
Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
iPhone all the way. I've had iPhones for 3 years. 3G,3GS and now I'm on my 4. My 3G still works great, meanwhile blackberry and **** phones crap out. iPhones are quality, like all apple products. I'm no fan of apple computers and the o.s. They do make a damn good phone though, they wouldn't be dominating the market for nothing if the product wasn't good. My friend got the nicest android on the market at the time where I got my i4. Mines still faster and much more fluent. Androids lag and there are issues with the os itself, any person who actually knows things about phones should know this. It really comes down to preference, ones opinion is self righteous. I rate droids piece of ****. How many hate me for it?

Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
For a person who's used both phones, I find your mark up rather one sided. Naming several points on the Iphone side, while showing a meager list on the galaxy S side.

Your first two plus points are very opinionated personal statements. Point two might be debatable, point one isn't. the overall superior smart phone experience? C'mon, you don't use those sort of biased lines in a comparison..

Point three. The the android market is a bit smaller. However it has over 200.000 apps in it. Apple sits around 400.000. Basically when you have a good app on the android market, you'll have a copy on in the apple store, and vice versa. There are more android users, so basing this on demand and supply, the android store will eventually outgrow the apple store.
Bigger doesn't mean better. When you have 200.000 apps available, you'll have a few gems surrounded by ****. The same is true for 400.000 on the otherside.

Point four. The iphone has a higher resolution, yes. But the screen is also 15%~ smaller. This is going to be hard to show on a youtube video, but take a look at this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODhXCfcf4c
The samsung screen is brighter, the colors are more vibrant and if you compare the small print. You see that the characters are readable. In the Iphones defence, it's an LCD screen and they don't perform as well at tilting angles. I would really advice you to go to a local electronics store and just watch both screens. The extra pixels which the Iphone offer are best used while reading a book/website. Pixel wise, you won't notice a difference while watching movies. The Galaxy S has better colors and viewing angle though, which is something you do tend to notice. The reason you don't notice the difference in pixels that much, when you're watching a movie, is due too movement and the relative small screen. If you pause, and look up close, the Iphone does have the best quality, No argument there. This is really a personal preference though. personally, I'd go for the iphone in the screen department, mostly because the vibrant colors really do their magic in a comparison. Alone, both phones produce amazing quality images, and I'd rather have the higher resolution, compared to more vivid colors.

Point five. Very clear recording on 720p, at 30 frames a second, -just like the Galaxy S-.
Galaxy S offers more functionality and higher quality pictures, while the Iphone has a flasher. On a side note, This is the first camera that can be called decent on a Iphone though!
Quality wise, the Galaxy S takes the best shots. When it's getting dark, the Iphone over takes it. When it actually is night, both cameras are crap. Still, when you come home late at night and might be slightly intoxicated, the led flasher is amazing! ;)

Cons you might have missed are less supported formats. on the Iphone, h.264, Mpeg 4 while the Galaxy S supports - Divx 3, DivX 4, DivX 5, DivX 6, h.263, h.264, mkv, wmv, xvid
Only bluetooth 2.3 on the Iphone, Galaxy S uses Bluetooth 3.0. Iphone also loses in the battery department, and lacks a slot for an SD card.

The Iphone does have superior built quality in my opinion though. They both can take a hit, but the Iphone feels more robust. The plastic kinda makes it feel cheap.

When it comes to intergration. If you us apple products, go for the Iphone, no doubt. Everything syncs, it's amazing. If you're a windows user, I would advice Android. Mostly because it's more open to windows products and ofcourse anything related to google(All hail our future overlords, google.).

[Anti apple]A plus on the Galaxy S department also might be that samsung doesn't track your every day movement like apple does. [/anti apple]
Your wrong on alot of points. Because the specs of the camera are superior to iPhones, does not make it better. The iPhones sensor is still the best on the market. Higher megapixel camera's still do not take higher quality pictures. Last time I checked, smaller screen with a higher resolution = better picture than a big screen with the same resolution? Smaller is sometimes a better thing. In this case as a phone get your eyes checked if you think 15% is even worth comparison. The screens are somewhat comparable in terms of quality, but iPhone is still superior even as an earlier phone. I'd also like to mention how awsome it is having the iphone4 being flat, it's the cats meow.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone knows I'm easy to catch, so I'll bite.

they wouldn't be dominating the market for nothing if the product wasn't good.
This post is pure emotion, but that's fine. Were all fanatic about something.
Android has over 40% of the global smartphone market in terms of devices sold/shipped, and Apple only has about 15%.
Also, if the product is so amazing, why is everyone and their brother jailbreaking their Iphone?
My friend got the nicest android on the market at the time where I got my i4. Mines still faster and much more fluent. Androids lag and there are issues with the os itself, any person who actually knows things about phones should know this.
Which phone would that be? Again hardware wise, the Iphone 4 wasn't that special, even at release. It did well in certain benchmarks, while for an example the galaxy S did well in others. If you really care to look into different OS's, you'll notice both operating systems aren't without fault. Iphone 4 hangs, lags as well. Hell, we all have heard about the deathgrip.
It really comes down to preference, ones opinion is self righteous. I rate droids piece of ****. How many hate me for it?
I am not hating, and I'm actually glad that you realize this yourself.

Because the specs of the camera are superior to iPhones, does not make it better.
True, but the specs aren't superior.

Higher megapixel camera's still do not take higher quality pictures. Last time I checked, smaller screen with a higher resolution = better picture than a big screen with the same resolution?
No one denies the Iphone 4 screen is good, but you're actually making an excellent point right here. Higher megapixel, means more pixels. More pixels doesn't mean better. The same goes for screens too.

In this case as a phone get your eyes checked if you think 15% is even worth comparison. The screens are somewhat comparable in terms of quality, but iPhone is still superior even as an earlier phone.
When phones can be considered same generation, everything into the littlest detail is being scrutinized. So it's weird that this statistic suddenly isn't important, while you do point out the flatness as something special, when the difference is about 1mm

Last edited:
Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm referring to flat back, much nicer for laying it down on a table or something and browsing the net. It's not really pure emotion stating that iPhone's have climbed way up the charts.

http://allthingsd.com/20080813/boom-apple-worth-more-than-google/

I had read the same facts on engadget, just found a post else where. However, all the new phones on the market still don't match iphone4 power. So if that is the case, than how wasn't i4 that great at release? It crushed most competition. A phone that wasn't great at release was the blackberry torch. The problem with android is, all other companies are using it.

http://crackberry.com/10-reasons-why-google-will-buy-research-motion

This article points out some good flaws and good points as to what google needs to change. In other terms the reason why so many android phones are shipped is because of EVERYONE using it. Cut it down and say google owned its OWN phones and shipped them, cut your numbers down to id guess atleast 50% and some of what they are now. Apples numbers are huge considering they produce their own product and don't sell it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get a Thunderbolt. It's the bees knees.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How does company worth relate to market share? High market share means you dominate a market. High company worth (And this is apple as a whole company, not specific for phones) has nothing to do with how well represented a product is in a specific market.

I had read the same facts on engadget, just found a post else where. However, all the new phones on the market still don't match iphone4 power. So if that is the case, than how wasn't i4 that great at release? It crushed most competition. A phone that wasn't great at release was the blackberry torch. The problem with android is, all other companies are using it.
Firstly, raw power doesn't decide how good a phone is. It can enhance certain user experiences though, like browsing.
Secondly, from the top of my head. HTC Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S II, LG Omptimus x2
Three phones that, power wise, blow the Iphone 4 out of the water. Hardware wise the Iphone 4 was awesome, even at release. but in the high end phone market not that breathtaking. Care to define though, what the iphone 4 did to crush the competition?
This article points out some good flaws and good points as to what google needs to change.
There are lists with Iphone 4 flaws and android flaws.
The Iphone isn't that perfect out of the boxr, I mean that's evident from how many people jailbreak it for extra functionality. Just a quick example: True multitasking on the Iphone, were is it? Even windows mobile 6.0 had that. Or lack of flash support when browsing.

In other terms the reason why so many android phones are shipped is because of EVERYONE using it. Cut it down and say google owned its OWN phones and shipped them, cut your numbers down to id guess atleast 50% and some of what they are now. Apples numbers are huge considering they produce their own product and don't sell it.
What's the main objective of any commercial company? To make a profit. So taking that in mind, a lot of companies are using Android these days as a phone OS, because it ensures sales. I'm sure if Apple wasn't so anal about keeping everything locked down, keeping check on anything you do and were you go etc. and having a phone OS that would work on other phones, or computer OS that's easily installed on other pc's, they would have a bigger share. But apple has specificity chosen to not take that route as it doesn't work with their sales pitch.
You can't compare google and apple as companies like that. there strategies are completely different as a whole. Google is an advertisement company, which would not work with apples sales strategy, and vice versa.

Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Last time I checked apple delivers a great user experience. For the longest time androids lagged, and they still have poor flash performance. When asked about poor performance the CEO of flash says "it runs great on the new playbook" which isn't even android lawl. Jailbreaking is pointless, if you need to jailbreak due to being tied down or something, than one must have adhd. I'm one of the biggest hardware nerds, and all my rigs are mint and I have zero need to jb my phone. Most android users get bored of droid and come back to iPhone anyways. Not an opinion it's on many many forum pages you just have to read. If you want a bluntaxe support droid really. Not only does the companies strategy suck, but it's being surpassed by apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom